RB Deontae Cooper

I agree. I think Washington has just as much chance if not more than we do to pull recruits out of California now that there has been a coaching change. Sarkisian brings a lot of notoriety to the Washington program from any California kid who watches USC play. So it's not a stretch to asume that Washington will have more of a chance with this kid. As far as Montana goes, If I am not mistaken, Sarkisian has been coaching quaterbacks for years now and was almost an automatic to pull him out of Califonia. They will not be such a push over team when NU knocks on their door. Darn it. :bang

GBR!

I agree. I think Washington has just as much chance if not more than we do to pull recruits out of California now that there has been a coaching change. Sarkisian brings a lot of notoriety to the Washington program from any California kid who watches USC play. So it's not a stretch to asume that Washington will have more of a chance with this kid. As far as Montana goes, If I am not mistaken, Sarkisian has been coaching quaterbacks for years now and was almost an automatic to pull him out of Califonia. They will not be such a push over team when NU knocks on their door. Darn it. :bang

GBR!

Also let us not forget that Washington has pretty decent history in their own right to include a share of a MNC in '90 or '91 I believe. They used to win a lot, in fact I recall in '90 Washington coming into LMS and beating the Huskers in one of the first night games we had. I was there and we were up 20-0 at half I belive, UW came back to win. I think that was the same year they won the title. The were consitently a top ranked team in that era and NU had a little rivalry with them, one of the biggest wins on the Husker resume in the '97 season was a win up at UW who was a top 10 team at that time. It is true that they fell really hard once that coach retired, but let us not act like UW is like ISU.

• 1 month later...

Add running back Deontae Cooper (Perris, Calif./Citrus Hill) to the long list of players taking official visits to Washington this weekend. Cooper is one of the region's top running backs and rushed for 2,948 yards and 43 touchdowns last year.

"I'm going to UW this weekend and I'm very excited about it," Cooper said. "This is the only trip I've set so far although I'm close to setting up one with Arizona State as well. I'm going to visit ASU in November but we're still working out the date.

"I also like Cal, Stanford, Nebraska and Utah and I'm talking with all of those schools. Cal hasn't offered yet but the others have and I want to take all five of my official visits before I make my decision."

Cooper said he has no plans to make an early commitment and could take his recruitment all the way to February.

"My plan right now is to wait until signing day before I make my decision," Cooper said. "A lot of people have told me that's kind of risky because these schools can fill up if I wait that long. I just don't want to rush in to anything though and I want to make sure I take all my visits.

"Right now, I really like UW a lot and I'm excited to see them up close and learn more about them. I don't see myself committing though, it's just too early for that right now."

Cooper said he has no plans to make an early commitment and could take his recruitment all the way to February.

"My plan right now is to wait until signing day before I make my decision," Cooper said. "A lot of people have told me that's kind of risky because these schools can fill up if I wait that long. I just don't want to rush in to anything though and I want to make sure I take all my visits.

Good kid. Now please don't disappoint us and commit next Sunday. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Running back Deontae Cooper (Perris, Calif./Citrus Hill) took an official visit to Washington two weeks ago and has the Huskies very high on his list.

Cooper camped with Washington over the summer, so this was his second time checking out the Seattle campus.

"I had an awesome trip there," Cooper said. "The coaching staff is incredible and was the highlight of the visit for me. They made me feel like I was already part of the team and I love the energy they always have. They're always talking about football and they have a real passion for the game that I love.

"I thought the team played really well and could have won. The locker room after the game was really upbeat and the coaches were disappointed in the loss but stayed positive and told everyone how proud they were of how hard they played.

"You can tell coach [steve] Sarkisian has the players' heads in the right place. That's a great group of guys there and I got along great with everyone. They have a young team so everyone is excited about the future. James Johnson was my host and he showed me a great time and I loved the campus and the city there as well."

Despite raving about the visit, Cooper said he still plans to take the rest of his trips and is in no hurry to make a decision.

"I want to visit Nebraska, Arizona State and probably Fresno State," Cooper said. "ASU wants me to come up for the USC game (Nov. 7) so that sounds like something I want to do. Fresno State wants me to trip after the season and Nebraska didn't really specify."

Good kid. Now please don't disappoint us and commit next Sunday. :)

<_<