Husker_Power

Player: Nick Montana

Hometown: Westlake Village, CA

Position: QB

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 177 lbs.

40 time: 4.65

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Arizona, Florida State, LSU, Maryland, Nebraska, Ohio State, South Carolina, Stanford,

Favorites: Arizona, Florida State, LSU, Maryland, Nebraska, Ohio State, South Carolina, Stanford, Texas,

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: N/A

Big Red Report: :star

ESPN: 150 Watch List

Scout.com Player Evaluation:

Montana is about 6-1, 180, so he needs to add some more weight. His arm strength is solid. He's got good touch on his throws, and he managed the offense well. Throws a nice deep ball. Has good bloodlines too. --Brandon Huffman, Scout.com

Biography: In 14 games for Westlake Village (Calif.) Oaks Christian, Montana threw for over 2,500 yards despite playing sparingly in the second half of most games. He started all 14 games and led the Lions to an unbeaten record and a CIF-SS Northwest Division title in 2008 as a junior.

The son of NFL Hall-of-Fame quarterback, Joe Montana.

Previously played at Cardinal-Newman HS in Santa Rosa (Calif.).

ESPN Notes: 2008: Completed 133 of 241 passes (55.2-percent) for 2,402 yards and 33 touchdowns. LA Daily News Newcomer of the Year...Previously attended De La Salle (Concord, Calif.)

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 5%

I've heard about him before. He plays at a high school with Gretzky and Will Smith's sons.

Glad you pointed that out. Just skimmed this headline and didn't bother reading it until you mentioned this:

High school football: Celebrity High has sons of Hall of Famers, movie star

Coaching a budding football star is one thing, but Bill Redell found himself dealing with sons of superstars when practice opened last August at Oaks Christian School in Westlake Village, Calif.

On his high school roster were junior quarterback Nick Montana, son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Montana; sophomore quarterback Trevor Gretzky, son of hockey great Wayne Gretzky; and sophomore receiver Trey Smith, son of movie star Will Smith.

"The first week we had Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight, and some of those out at our practices, then it calmed down," Redell said. "But it's interesting."

While the last names Montana and Gretzky always are going to attract attention from sports fans, the otherwise mundane name of Smith is what really brought the curious media running, Redell said.

"Trey Smith is more of a draw in terms of publicity from a world perspective, because of the popularity of his dad, who is one of the best actors out there," Redell said. "But Trey is an outstanding kid and athlete. He could be a Division I prospect if he wants to be."

And if people just give him some space. That's the aim of the private Oaks Christian. It has 1,000 students in grades 6-12, in the western Los Angeles suburbs. Not that the presence of superstars' kids caused Redell to change his approach to coaching.

"I don't do anything differently because of it," Redell said. "There is a little more of a security issue at practice, like keeping the curious and the paparazzi at bay. But that has not been a problem. But the school is always concerned about the security of these kids."

Oaks Christian has flourished on the field. Montana led a 14-0 run to a state championship last season, two years after current Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen did the same.

Off the field, the superstar fathers "are all good people, and their wives are even better," Redell said.

He said that definitely goes for the parents of Nick Montana, a big-time prospect who this weekend was on an unofficial visit to Ohio State, one of several major schools that already have offered him a scholarship.

"I have been very impressed with the humility of his family, and Nick is the same way," Redell said. "He is a very humble kid, a very respectful kid, very easy to coach. The dad does not interfere in any way, shape or form, unless you ask his opinion, which I have done a few times.

"The family is great. It is not any kind of a problem. Frankly, I wish I had more families like that over the years who would respond like they respond."

I hate to burst your celebrity bubble but none of these guys that go to this school are above average. Their school is in a small division in the valley. They DO NOT play any teams in the top 4 divisions out here even though they are offered home games all the time. They brag how they've won all these title's but they don't play anyone. It's a christian school that is owned by a rich guy and of the 700-800 students enrolled 90% are there for athletics. claussen went there and they dodged teams left and right when he was there. They're in the same division where Marlon Lucky, & darrell scott played. Hell, Long Beach Poly & Mater Dei's junior varsity team would beat these guys.

I hate to burst your celebrity bubble but none of these guys that go to this school are above average. Their school is in a small division in the valley. They DO NOT play any teams in the top 4 divisions out here even though they are offered home games all the time. They brag how they've won all these title's but they don't play anyone. It's a christian school that is owned by a rich guy and of the 700-800 students enrolled 90% are there for athletics. claussen went there and they dodged teams left and right when he was there. They're in the same division where Marlon Lucky, & darrell scott played. Hell, Long Beach Poly & Mater Dei's junior varsity team would beat these guys.

So what are you saying? That Montana, Clausen, Lucky, and Scott are scrubs?

So what are you saying? That Montana, Clausen, Lucky, and Scott are scrubs?

don't forget cj gable.

Oaks Christian's (Westlake Village, Calif.) Nick Montana, the son of NFL Hall of Famer Joe Montana, received his most recent offer from Florida State, and the 'Noles join Maryland, Ohio State, LSU, South Carolina, Arizona and Stanford as schools that have offered. Montana recently visited Ohio State and currently is at Texas. UCLA, USC, Oregon and many others are showing interest, and there doesn't appear to be any early leader. Notre Dame has shown interest but doesn't appear to be in the game at this point. Montana's father starred with the Irish.