ATH A.J. Derby

Quarterback A.J. Derby (Iowa City, Iowa/Iowa City) is one of the top quarterback prospects in the Midwest and the 6-foot-4, 220-pounder threw for 1,200 yards and rushed for 1,100 during his junior season.

Derby has 15 scholarship offers including Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Florida, Alabama, Stanford, Cincinnati, Kansas, Florida State and Nebraska.

"I haven't really narrowed it down yet," Derby said. "I haven't been concentrating on recruiting; I've been concentrating on the football season."

However, Derby has decided on three official visits.

"I plan to get official visits scheduled pretty soon," Derby said. "I think three for sure will be Iowa, Oklahoma and Florida. I'll probably take all five visits."

The Sooners have not offered Derby a scholarship, but that could change.

"I went to their (football) camp," Derby said. "I did pretty well, but they want to see how their young quarterbacks do and decide if they need to take a junior college quarterback. They told me they will stay in touch. They want me to make an official visit."

Derby plans to take several of his official visits during the football season and one or two after it is over.

"After I finish my visits I'll sit down and decide on a college," Derby said. "I'll probably go to all the Iowa home games, and then take official visits on some other weekends."

Derby is also considering graduating early.

• 2 weeks later...

Rivals: "A.J. Derby and his Iowa City High Little Hawks left little doubt as to who the #1 team in the state of Iowa is on Friday night, pounding #3 ranked Cedar Rapids Washington, 65-21. The senior signal caller and four star prospect according to Rivals.com, accounted for 320 yards of offense, including three touchdown passes in the victory."

• 4 weeks later...