I will be getting a laptop this summer and was wondering what are the good ones. I am a PC guy but am thinking that Mac might be better for me.

I think a touch-screen would be sweet but not necessary and if any have blue ray players that might be of interest to me

If you're a PC guy, Macs are hard to adjust to. I've had to use a Mac this year (school gave it to me to do stuff for our basketball team on) and i hate it. I'm so used to the PC ways and the Mac just is weird to me. Maybe you'll be different, but that's my take on it.

And as to the Blu-ray laptops: I think Sony Vaio's are the only ones that play BD? But i'm not sure. Either way, it's not that entirely important. A DVD will look nearly identical as a Blu-ray on a 15" screen.

Most brands end up pretty similar, its the internal parts to keep an eye on. AMD vs Intel for the CPU is more or less a wash, unless you are high end everything, either will get you what you need. If you plan on doing anything resembling gaming, get something with nVidia or ATI graphics chips, those Intel graphics chips are only good for running media player. And as everything has Vista, make 100% sure you have at least 2 gigs of RAM, or else your machine will move like a snail.

Unless you are going to do a lot of photo/music/video editing, stick with a PC.

I know that HP includes Blu-Ray in some laptops.

As far as touch screens go, I don't know of any manufacturer that is including that option yet. However, HP does have monitors for desktops with that technology, so I would assume they'll soon have it for notebooks.

I think he's thinking about a tablet laptop..

Anyways, laptops aren't exactly my forte, but I would say go with Apple. They're a bit more expensive, but the value is pretty worth it and frankly it is a better operating system, it's just an unfamiliar one to most.

It really all depends on what you are going for. The only reason I say go Apple is because I wouldn't recommend a laptop anyways unless you actually NEED the mobility of it, and Apple has nice lap tops.

SONY also has beautifully engineered laptops.

HAWT.

If you want to stick with Windows, this would be really worth looking into.

Macs are definitely also well engineered, but it does not mean that no Windows computers are well-engineered.

If you want sturdy, go for Lenovo, I think they have a solid reputation there. If you want a tablet, I think the HP tablet is rated the best, but I don't know. It's just a little bit of info I have from looking for laptops recently myself.

I have an HP HDX 16. I have loved it since i opened the box. i made a couple upgrades and its amazing. it cost me about $2,000. Its worth it though. Im working on my Architecture degree, and i have AutoCAD on it, and it works perfectly. ill give it a 9.5 out of 10. the only problem i had with it, is how flimsy the CD tray is. but its never broke or anything, it just seems weak. but id still give it great props. HP can make a great computer.

I have a Toshiba laptop and absolutely love it. It's never given me any problems *knock on wood* and it's fairly fast.

My Toshiba lasted for 4 years, then the CD/DVD drive crapped out. It was a very good value for me.

I ended up buying an Apple in September and got the iPod touch for $50 with it. The system is great, no crashes or having to worry about viruses and spyware stuff. Plus the customer service is fantastic...people at the Apple store or online are willing to help in any way.

And as to the Blu-ray laptops: I think Sony Vaio's are the only ones that play BD? But i'm not sure. Either way, it's not that entirely important. A DVD will look nearly identical as a Blu-ray on a 15" screen.

It isnt so much as the quality of the graphics, more of most the movies I have bought in the past year are in Blu-Ray and since I am not going to be able to take my family's player I would still like to watch my movies.

And yes I meant a tablet, didnt know its formal name though.

Anyways thanks everyone for your help

• 4 weeks later...

I would stick with Dell or HP.

From my experience, I'd recommend exactly the opposite, haha.

I've had a Compaq and a Dell. My Compaq crapped out on me after about a year and a half. My Dell has lasted me two years now, but I'm on my third A/C adapter and my second battery. The battery is understandable, since my laptop gets heavy use, but the A/C adapters from Dell (at least for Inspirons) are pieces of junk.

Apples and Toshibas have been the best in my friends' experiences.

The next time I have to buy a computer, though, I plan on buying a desktop since you can get the same performance in a desktop for a fraction of the cost of a laptop. With the money I save, I'll buy one of the "mini-laptops" that have become very popular lately for those times when I need something portable.

Get a Mac by far. I was an avid PC user until about three years ago when my brother bought a mac and I actually used it alot. There is not a very big learning curve to it at all. In fact I think that if you had no knowledge of computers and were presented with a mac and a pc, that a mac would be easier to learn. I bought an IMAC three years ago and runs like its still new.