Since we're stuck with it,

OK, I know I'll probably get nailed for even suggesting this but here goes. Why not accept Colorado as the "rival" they have wanted to be for the last several years? TO and Switzer were naturals considering they both took over their respective programs within a couple years of each other, and they were such opposites. (We all know that Davaney and Switzer used to toss down a few cold ones together but I couldn't imagine TO doing that.) The Nebrask-Oklahoma game was the second to the last game every year as both teams went to a bowl game every year. (Okie may have missed a few.) And there was always something riding on the outcome. Well, we now have Colo. as the last game (Thanks Big 12.)every year. Bo and Hawkins have each taken over as the head coach recently and are young and firery in temprement. This seems like a good time to put the past behind us and move along with the new centurary.

I don't know about all of you but I'm bored and this seems like something we can kick around for awhile.

My a$$ is up in the air, take a shot gang.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez:bonez

I don't know about you guys but I always look forward to the NU-CU game. Thanksgiving Friday, national TV, day off, and always high tension. We've had a lot of exciting games recently with the Buffaloes. Some of our best - and worst - recent memories come from playing CU.

OK, I know I'll probably get nailed for even suggesting this but here goes. Why not accept Colorado as the "rival" they have wanted to be for the last several years? TO and Switzer were naturals considering they both took over their respective programs within a couple years of each other, and they were such opposites. (We all know that Davaney and Switzer used to toss down a few cold ones together but I couldn't imagine TO doing that.) The Nebrask-Oklahoma game was the second to the last game every year as both teams went to a bowl game every year. (Okie may have missed a few.) And there was always something riding on the outcome. Well, we now have Colo. as the last game (Thanks Big 12.)every year. Bo and Hawkins have each taken over as the head coach recently and are young and firery in temprement. This seems like a good time to put the past behind us and move along with the new centurary.

I don't know about all of you but I'm bored and this seems like something we can kick around for awhile.

T_O_B

Sadly, I agree with you. I don't think it can be termed a rivalry if you don't play every year and Oklahoma would consider us, at best, their third rival. (behind Texas and Okie Lite) Rivalries can't be one sided or off and on. So that leaves someone in the north, and CU probably has the best history of any program in the North other than Nebraska. I mean . . . at least they stole 1 national title on a fifth down, that's more than MU/KU/KSU/ISU can say.

So unfortunately, CU is probably our rival. :hmmph

(but I would LOVE for OU to retake the position if we could re-align the Big XII or find a way to play them every year...and not just play them...but play them COMPETITIVELY.)

NO. PERIOD.

You really need to come up with a better argument. Period.

T_O_B

MrT_anim.gif

i have stated my argument many times before. Frankly a rivalry is built on contest and respect, not hatred. CU is no more a rival than MU is. in fact if i had to choose i would say that MU is more of a rival.

I don't think there is much respect in most college football rivalries, in fact I'd argue MOST are based on hatred. Michigan/OSU, Texas/Oklahoma, Auburn/Bama, etc...all hate each other. NU/OU was the exception that proves the rule.

this is y (sorry if this seems its a bit on the attack but I was writing to CU fans and just pasted everything on this board, I only changed a tad of the wording)

CU vs. Nebraska is a rivalry (just not a very significent one, at least to us), just like Oklahoma vs OSU is a rivalry, or Michigan vs MSU, or Georgia vs GT, or CU vs CSU, or Teas vs TAMU, or KSU vs Nebraska, or KSU vs Kansas, or Florida vs FSU, and many more. The fact of matter is that these games all are rivalry games, just not major ones. This is because one sides sees this game as the top of their list every year and the other does not, it still is a big game, just not supernatural in the college football world. CU pretty much founded their program with object of defeating the unwaiving powerhouse of Nebraska, so the game has gigantic meaning to the CU side of the deal, but to our side it was just another team in the Big 8 then 12 who wanted to put themselves on the map. Our big game has been and still is Oklahoma, unfortunately the Big 12 arranged it so that we could not play every year and Texas began to take over as Oklahoma's markee game. In truth our fan base is more excited about the Missouri game than CU, just as Notre Dame sees Michigan as a bigger game than Purdue. It's nothing personal to CU, just that there is just a big split in tradition between the two teams when it comes to the way we view the game and in truth the series hasn't ever really been balanced until we had our worst patch of years in our history(47 to 19 and 3 ties in history, 14 to 6 and 1 tie in the last 20 years from 2007 and back). No disrespect to CU's program (a true talent of the 90's), but in truth it wasn't a major game for us until their uprising in the late 80's/early 90's and Oklahoma's fall in the 90's (but still OU was our most important game of the season).

since 1936 (modern era to NCAA standards) the series is at 37-44-3 with Oklahoma in the lead (a much more narrow of a gap the NU vs CU, 47-19-3 NU in the lead) since than Nebraska has won 5 national titles,3 Heismans, 43 confrence championships, 816 wins (4th in NCAA, winning 69% of their games) and 92 all-americans. Oklahoma has won 7 NCs, 4 Heismans, 41 confrence championships, 757 wins (winning 69% of their games), and have had144 all-americans. Since 1970 Nu=5 NCs, 3 Heismans OU=4 NCs, 2 Heismans. From 1950 the NU-OU game was the final game of the season (with a few minor excuses usually set by the two teams not being able to come to agreement). From this time the battle grew into a rivalry because of the fact that the two were always in contention for the big 8 title and then National Title, and such games as the "The Game of the Century" and "The Game of the New Century" were played.

The NU v OU rivalry isn't a battle for the Championship for the National Title now, well at least for us, but neither were the 90's (for OU). Now I do recoginize that Texas has now taken our place as OU's #1, but I don't believe we should settle for our major rivalry to be with a team who has mediocre prestige. Now granted we are not our Power House stage currently, but with our fanbase, history, athletic facilities, and of course Tom Osborne we just don't see that we will be down forever, just as USC came back or Oklahoma.

Heres the stats in the mediocre rivalry

CU needs to win a few more championships and about 20 straight games and they will be a little closer to our #1 game! Sure it's a rivalry, but like I said before, through out the years how much of a rivalry has it been (lets say in comparison Ohio State to Illinois)?

Answer: 5 champions (all undeafeted, but 1970 had a tie) to 1(with a 9-1-1 record, given with 5 downs to get in the NC and a clipping call to get out of the NC with a W), favoring NU

3 Heismans (almost 4) compared to 1, favoring NU

43 confrence championships to 26 (only six from Big 8 to Big 12), favoring NU

92 unanimous all-americans to 55, favoring NU

35 (44 overall) straight bowl appearances to just 27 overall, favoring NU

23 (major) individual awards to 10, favoring NU

817 program wins to 658, favoring NU

Tom Osborne 3 NCs (one of the highest winning % in college football, more the Bear Bryant, JoePa, and Bowden, and the once most winningest coach in college football) and Bob Devaney 2 NCs ( only a few percentage points below Osborne's career and our founder) compared to Bill McCartney (only noteworthy coach of CU) 1 NC ( a coach not even with a 100 wins, and a winning percentage about 20% less than Osborne's), favoring NU

297 consecutive sellouts at a stadium that holds over 80,000 compared to Fulsom [Prison] that sometimes can't even fill its near 50,000 seats, favoring NU

The series is 48-19-3, favoring NU

Heres a link to a cool rundown of another fans reasoning

The Definitive Work on Nebraska's Rival

T_O_B

I can't believe you had the nerve to suggest it. :bad:lame

this is y (sorry if this seems its a bit on the attack but I was writing to CU fans and just pasted everything on this board, I only changed a tad of the wording)

CU vs. Nebraska is a rivalry (just not a very significent one, at least to us), just like Oklahoma vs OSU is a rivalry, or Michigan vs MSU, or Georgia vs GT, or CU vs CSU, or Teas vs TAMU, or KSU vs Nebraska, or KSU vs Kansas, or Florida vs FSU, and many more. The fact of matter is that these games all are rivalry games, just not major ones. This is because one sides sees this game as the top of their list every year and the other does not, it still is a big game, just not supernatural in the college football world. CU pretty much founded their program with object of defeating the unwaiving powerhouse of Nebraska, so the game has gigantic meaning to the CU side of the deal, but to our side it was just another team in the Big 8 then 12 who wanted to put themselves on the map. Our big game has been and still is Oklahoma, unfortunately the Big 12 arranged it so that we could not play every year and Texas began to take over as Oklahoma's markee game. In truth our fan base is more excited about the Missouri game than CU, just as Notre Dame sees Michigan as a bigger game than Purdue. It's nothing personal to CU, just that there is just a big split in tradition between the two teams when it comes to the way we view the game and in truth the series hasn't ever really been balanced until we had our worst patch of years in our history(47 to 19 and 3 ties in history, 14 to 6 and 1 tie in the last 20 years from 2007 and back). No disrespect to CU's program (a true talent of the 90's), but in truth it wasn't a major game for us until their uprising in the late 80's/early 90's and Oklahoma's fall in the 90's (but still OU was our most important game of the season).

since 1936 (modern era to NCAA standards) the series is at 37-44-3 with Oklahoma in the lead (a much more narrow of a gap the NU vs CU, 47-19-3 NU in the lead) since than Nebraska has won 5 national titles,3 Heismans, 43 confrence championships, 816 wins (4th in NCAA, winning 69% of their games) and 92 all-americans. Oklahoma has won 7 NCs, 4 Heismans, 41 confrence championships, 757 wins (winning 69% of their games), and have had144 all-americans. Since 1970 Nu=5 NCs, 3 Heismans OU=4 NCs, 2 Heismans. From 1950 the NU-OU game was the final game of the season (with a few minor excuses usually set by the two teams not being able to come to agreement). From this time the battle grew into a rivalry because of the fact that the two were always in contention for the big 8 title and then National Title, and such games as the "The Game of the Century" and "The Game of the New Century" were played.

The NU v OU rivalry isn't a battle for the Championship for the National Title now, well at least for us, but neither were the 90's (for OU). Now I do recoginize that Texas has now taken our place as OU's #1, but I don't believe we should settle for our major rivalry to be with a team who has mediocre prestige. Now granted we are not our Power House stage currently, but with our fanbase, history, athletic facilities, and of course Tom Osborne we just don't see that we will be down forever, just as USC came back or Oklahoma.

Heres the stats in the mediocre rivalry

CU needs to win a few more championships and about 20 straight games and they will be a little closer to our #1 game! Sure it's a rivalry, but like I said before, through out the years how much of a rivalry has it been (lets say in comparison Ohio State to Illinois)?

Answer: 5 champions (all undeafeted, but 1970 had a tie) to 1(with a 9-1-1 record, given with 5 downs to get in the NC and a clipping call to get out of the NC with a W), favoring NU

3 Heismans (almost 4) compared to 1, favoring NU

43 confrence championships to 26 (only six from Big 8 to Big 12), favoring NU

92 unanimous all-americans to 55, favoring NU

35 (44 overall) straight bowl appearances to just 27 overall, favoring NU

23 (major) individual awards to 10, favoring NU

817 program wins to 658, favoring NU

Tom Osborne 3 NCs (one of the highest winning % in college football, more the Bear Bryant, JoePa, and Bowden, and the once most winningest coach in college football) and Bob Devaney 2 NCs ( only a few percentage points below Osborne's career and our founder) compared to Bill McCartney (only noteworthy coach of CU) 1 NC ( a coach not even with a 100 wins, and a winning percentage about 20% less than Osborne's), favoring NU

297 consecutive sellouts at a stadium that holds over 80,000 compared to Fulsom [Prison] that sometimes can't even fill its near 50,000 seats, favoring NU

The series is 48-19-3, favoring NU

Heres a link to a cool rundown of another fans reasoning

The Definitive Work on Nebraska's Rival

I think the series is 47-18-2 The cu game was a MANUFACTURED rival by there coach.

It is only a rivalry when you hate to lose to them more than you do any other team. If for you it is CU that you hate to lose to the most, then they are the rival. Only after most of the fanbase hates to lose to one team more than another do you know who your rival is. How many championships they've won or Heisman winners they've had has little to do with it. Haven't we had a poll on here voting for who we hated to lose to the most. The winner of such a poll would be the closest thing we have to a rival. Of course it only really becomes a rivalry when the other team hates to lose to you more than anyone else (or ESPN tells you you are rivals).