DT Diamonte Wheeler

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

JUNE 24, 2009. PREP STAR

DIAMONTE WHEELER, DL, 6-2, 255, 5, ARLINGTON (BOWIE), TEXAS

“The top schools that I like right now are Nebraska, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Kansas State.” Wheeler said

“I like coach Beck (Nebraska) and J P (Papuchis) they are real cool coaches. I feel like I have a good connection with them if I choose to go to Nebraska.” Wheeler said

Play Freshman Year At Nebraska

“Coach Beck is a real cool coach when talking to him on the phone he is down to earth. Both Beck and JP said I could come in and contribute as a freshman because they feel I can play with hard work.” Wheeler said

“I like Nebraska’s tradition,” says Wheeler, “I like how Bo Pelini he’s a defensive type of guy. It’s good to have a head coach that plays defense. I haven’t been to Nebraska; I might make it there next month.”

Recent Visits To Oklahoma State

“I went to Oklahoma State for junior days and the spring game. Spring game atmosphere was pretty cool there were a lot of people. More people you would think for a spring game. I talked to Coach Gundy at junior days in his office and he told me I have a full scholarship. Oklahoma State wants me to come in and play early, they said I’m a pretty good player.”

Oklahoma State Is The Leader

“I like coach Meacham and coach Gundy they are cool coaches. They make me feel wanted when I went down there that was a good feeling. Oklahoma State is recruiting me the hardest and they are my leader right now.” Wheeler added

“I like Oklahoma State’s defense because it’s similar what we run at high school. Some of the plays are similar too. Nebraska’s defense is more pro style, upscale I like that because it gets you ready for anything.” Wheeler said

“Kansas State is a good school I just talked to coach Mo Latimore the defensive line coach he is a real cool coach. Coach said I would play on defense start as a freshman and he wanted an opportunity to coach me.” Wheeler said

Rebuilding Process A Problem At K-State

“Not really because It makes me want to go in and make an impact. Having a new coach he’s trying to bring the program back. I wouldn’t have a problem with an upcoming team.” Wheeler said

“I haven’t been to Texas Tech yet but I like the coaches there. I was planning to come down (Lubbock) sometime next month. I like Coach Mc Neil, I like how he came down and told me I have a full scholarship to my face at me at one of my practices.” Wheeler said

Kansas Trip Went Well

“I’ve been to Kansas,” says Wheeler, “I like everything there the facilities, scenery, coach Sims and Beaty the defensive line coach. Coach Mangino is a cool coach he talked to me at the spring game with Donovan (Vestal) how he wanted us to play for him.”

“Kansas is recruiting me as a three technique but I play a three and a one. I’m quick on the outside. I think they (Kansas) prefer me to play the three.” Wheeler added

“I do want to go somewhere I can play early but If It doesn’t work out that way it wouldn’t be a problem but I do want to play my freshman year. I want to major in business and marketing. I want to go to a top business school.” Wheeler said

HuskerJournal Link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New ESPN review 77 Grade

Wheeler is a defensive lineman who plays with a good motor. He has solid size and while he will likely be a defensive tackle in college he could fit as a 3-4 end depending on how he develops. While he did not tip the scales at an ideal type weight and will need to add bulk he did not come across on film as a small kid. He gets off on the snap of the ball well and can be a physical player. Flashes the ability to attack half-a-man and root himself in the gap. He can deliver a solid blow when engaging a blocker, but does need to watch his pad level. He can get tall at times when coming out of his stance and can be pushed back some. He brings his hands and displays good raw strength, but needs to create better separation. When he gets tall and lets blockers get into his chest that is when he can get into some trouble. Stays active and is a solid tackler. As a pass rusher he displays the explosiveness to get into a blocker and bull rush his way back. He needs to be more active with his weapons to help him shed from the blocker. Wheeler displays some good tools. He needs to keep filling out and develop and become more consistent in some of his technique, but could develop into a disruptive defender at the college level.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears as of July 15th no one was in the lead Link

Diamonte Wheeler was once tabbed a high motor defensive lineman that lo0oked to be a bit on the small side for his position. At a now 6′3″ 270 pounds, Wheeler has been working hard to add size and strength to his already impressive play on the field.

Wheeler has himself an impressive list of school so far and he now as added another in the last week.

“Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, University of Houston, UTEP, Arkansas, Arizona, Iowa State, Minnesota, Texas Tech, and Baylor just offered last week,” Wheeler said.

Wheeler will be heading off to Waco this weekend to see the Bear program up close.

“I’m supposed to go to Baylor this weekend for their camp,” said Wheeler. “Not to participate, but they want me to come up there and meet the coaches,” added Wheeler.

Wheeler didn’t have the opportunity to get to any other camps this summer, but he has been busy working on getting better.

“UTEP, Oklahoma State, Kansas, and Kansas State,” Wheeler said of the programs that invited him to camps this summer. “I have just been gaining weight and lifting,” added Wheeler.

Apparantly he’s been doing a good job off it too. According to Wheeler, he now stands 6′3″ and is up to 270 pounds.

His added size will surely help his Bowie High School team that Wheeler feels is better than the Texas media is suggesting.

“We’re looking good,” Wheeler said. “We’re not getting any media love, andd we’re underdogs. We’ve had a good three years in a row and we’re still going to be good,” added Wheeler.

Wheeler teams up with fellow Kansas recruit Donovan Vestal on the defensive line. A line that often has those two on the same side, which would create a nightmare match-up for any opposing offense.

“We’re looked at as the muscle of the defensive line. We have two newer guys coming up so we have to show them how it has to be. The intensity they need,” said Wheeler.

As for Kansas, Wheeler has the Jayhawks sitting in his current top 5.

As of July 15th OSU was on the same level as everyone else

“Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Kansas State, Kansas, and Texas Tech,” said Wheeler. “There is no leader in that top 5, but those 5 stand out from the rest right now,” added Wheeler.

Wheeler made the trip to Lawrence earlier this spring for the Kansas football spring game. Despite arriving late to Lawrence, Wheeler did get the chance to check out the Kansas football program, and their new facilities.

“The intensity was good. There was a lot more people there than I thought would be so the fan base is good,” said Wheeler. “I liked the weight room. It’s one of the best I’ve seen. I also liked the training room,” added Wheeler.

Wheeler has also developed a pretty good relationship with a couple of the Kansas coaches. Wide receivers coach David Beaty, and Defensive line coach Tom Sims.

“I like KU,” said Wheeler. “I like Coach Beaty and I like Coach Sims. He is pretty funny and makes me laugh. We have a good relationship,” added Wheeler.

Wheeler says he’s hoping to make a decision by the second or third game of his senior season. As for official visits, Wheeler already knows where he would like to visit.

“Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State,” said Wheeler.

It appears as of July 15th no one was in the lead Link

Diamonte Wheeler was once tabbed a high motor defensive lineman that lo0oked to be a bit on the small side for his position. At a now 6′3″ 270 pounds, Wheeler has been working hard to add size and strength to his already impressive play on the field.

Wheeler has himself an impressive list of school so far and he now as added another in the last week.

“Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State,” said Wheeler.

in other words, he's a 17-year-old kid with a lot of head-spinning options on the table.

i know some people get twisted in knots about kids who commit/decommit/re-commit and whatnot, but just take it easy.

lotta time between now and signing day.