LB V.J. Fehoko

Fehoko makes big first impression

Under Armour All-American LB even better than expected

Comment Email Print Share

Conley By Bill Conley

Scouts Inc.

Archive

BOUNTIFUL, Utah -- With talent from Utah, the West Coast and the Hawaiian islands all flocking to the All-Poly Camp, it's easy to see why this has grown into one of the most popular and successful events.

Despite many of the region's top recruits on the field at Bountiful High School, it didn't take long to pick out one of the premier athletes at this year's camp. After just a few agility drills it was easy to see that Under Armour All-American LB V.J. Fehoko (Honolulu, HI/ Farrington) is a special player. He is extremely agile and much more fluid in his movements than anticipated. Fehoko's feet barely touched the ground as he moved over and through the bags, and when he dropped his hips to change direction. At 5-foot-11, 215 pounds, he might not be the biggest linebacker in the country, but it would be tough to find one with the same athleticism and skill level.

[+] EnlargeV.J. Fehoko

JC ShurburttUnder Armour All-American LB V.J. Fehoko stood out among a talented field at the All-Poly Camp.

Fehoko is one of those players who has trouble practicing at thud tempo. Dialing it down just isn't a natural reaction. Even though the teams were just timing up, Fehoko was ready to play. He attacked the first inside run and the crack of the pads on the form tackle echoed throughout the stadium. At the urging of the coaches, he did tone things down, but this guy takes his football seriously. Fehoko was precise in his reads and his movements on every play. He has been coached so well that his reactions and fundamentals are now natural. The little things like not crossing your feet when you shuffle and not taking a false step as you attack the line of scrimmage are instinctive to him.

Fehoko proved in the first day of the All-Poly Camp that he is the same intense and high-motor football player who shows up on film. He never quits until the play is over, and he is usually the guy making the play. He is good on the blitz, as his timing and quick first step make him difficult for any offensive lineman or running back to pick up. As aggressive as he is against the run and when blitzing, he can also be a solid under coverage pass defender. He shows the ability to snap the hips open on pass read and immediately get the proper depth to cover the middle hook zones.

It is no accident that this guy loves the game. He's from a family of football players, including brothers, uncles and cousins like Class of 2009 No. 1 LB and No. 2 overall recruit Manti Te'o, who signed with Notre Dame in February. Just like Te'o, Fehoko can pretty well pick the school of his choice, with nearly 20 Division I offers already going into his senior season.

Maybe the greatest thing about Fehoko is the fact he is just as good a person off the field as he is on it. He has the personality and leadership qualities coaches love to see. Fehoko has great family support and works hard to uphold the family pride and tradition. This is reflected in the fact that he is also an outstanding student with a 3.6 GPA and is considering pre-law as his college major. Like most talented athletes he would like to play early at the next level, but Fehoko is mature enough to understand that the college game is different. He knows the complexity of the game increases at each level of competition and that to reach the goals he aspires to will not be easy. There are no sure bets in athletics in terms of a player being a difference-maker, but the odds are heavily in favor of Fehoko going a long way.

Link

Fehoko would be a great addition to this class... It would definitely get the ball rolling for defensive studs. Rivals had an article about Bo recruiting him personally... probably nothing cuz all I got was the teaser. Probably just dreamin out loud here. We haven't had much luck with getting Poly kids to come to Nebraska lately.

Fehoko would be a great addition to this class... It would definitely get the ball rolling for defensive studs. Rivals had an article about Bo recruiting him personally... probably nothing cuz all I got was the teaser. Probably just dreamin out loud here. We haven't had much luck with getting Poly kids to come to Nebraska lately.

this local boy lives down the road from my mom in laie.... big mormon town on the east side of oahu same place manti teo is from all the boys down here are gnarly giants local polynesisans... the local football team kahuku is all rugged and ready to play... hopefully i'll run into him sometime and bust out some positive things to say about nebraska.....

I have trouble getting amped about the poly guys. We did have a pipeline back in the day but we were a national power then and I think there was a little less competition for these guys. I think we'll eventually get a foothold going again but right now I tend to be pessimistic and figure they're headed for one of the Utah or Pac schools. He would be a great get though.

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Four-star linebacker V.J Fehoko (Honolulu, Hawaii/Farrington) is having a monster senior season and has definitely shown he's one of the elite prospects in the entire West region this year.

Fehoko is a high-motor player and can really get after the quarterback. In just eight games this year, the athlete has 28 sacks including two games where he racked up five sacks.

On the recruiting front, Fehoko has all but narrowed his focus to three teams and is hopeful of taking all of his visits in December.

"Texas Tech, Utah and Washington are the three schools I'm looking at right now," Fehoko said. "I haven't set up any of the trip dates yet because we're in the playoffs, but if it works out, I should be able to take them all in December so I can make an announcement at the Under Armour All-American game."

Four-star linebacker V.J Fehoko (Honolulu, Hawaii/Farrington) is having a monster senior season and has definitely shown he's one of the elite prospects in the entire West region this year.

Fehoko is a high-motor player and can really get after the quarterback. In just eight games this year, the athlete has 28 sacks including two games where he racked up five sacks.

On the recruiting front, Fehoko has all but narrowed his focus to three teams and is hopeful of taking all of his visits in December.

"Texas Tech, Utah and Washington are the three schools I'm looking at right now," Fehoko said. "I haven't set up any of the trip dates yet because we're in the playoffs, but if it works out, I should be able to take them all in December so I can make an announcement at the Under Armour All-American game."

i see this guy every day in the halls outside my classroom... he's pretty tapped out looking with a gnarly poly tat with the words

'lights out' under his name.... actually never bugged him or talked to him very much about recruiting or visits..... i bet he ends up at TT with his bro.. he has a lot of pressure to attend University of Hawaii (UH) plus his dad is the school mascot during football games (the crazy hawaiian warrior guy) but i think he bolts as our coach is about to be fired (eventually soon)......

a nice local kid whom everyone is proud of... usually this school 'farrington' produces some top talent...

i'm doing my best to promote nebraska!!

so far not too much luck

• 2 weeks later...

Four-star ILB V.J Fehoko (Honolulu, Hawaii/Farrington) will take his first official visit Thursday to Washington. The talented linebacker can't wait to get to Seattle.

"I'm so pumped up to get there," Fehoko said. "I leave at 2:00 today and it's going to be a great time. This is my first official visit and I'm excited about that but it's also my first time visiting Washington and I can't wait to see the campus and meet the players and coaches.

"Washington has been recruiting me hard from the beginning and I'm the first one in my family to be recruited by them. The coaches always get me excited when I talk to them and I'm definitely feeling the Huskies in my heart right now."

• 3 weeks later...

With his family connections, Texas Tech always seemed like the team to beat for Farrington (Honolulu, Hawaii) linebacker V.J Fehoko. After a great visit to Washington, it appeared the Huskies were in a good spot. However, a visit to Lubbock this past weekend has the Red Raiders back on top.

"Texas Tech is definitely the team to beat right now," Fehoko said. "I had a perfect visit, it was just an incredible time. First off, my host was my brother Sam and it was great to see him again. We're really close and growing up, he was like my idol so it was just a great experience to be around him again.

"I love the coaching staff and they were my first offer so they have always been high on my list. I visited unofficially before but this visit was way different. All the coaches were great and never pressured me the entire visit. Other schools I've talked with kind of put on a hard sell to me and tried to get me to commit but that's not really my style and the Tech coaches were just so easy to be around.

"I spent a lot of time with Coach (Mike) Leach along with Coach (Brian) Mitchell, who's my recruiting coach and Coach (Ruffin) McNeil, who's the defensive coordinator. They're all great guys and I have such a great comfort level with them. Coach Mitchell is a family friend and they told me they have big plans for me in that defense so that's exciting to hear."

Being able to see how passionate Texas football is was also eye opening for Fehoko.

"Man, you always hear about how crazy the fans are in Texas and how big football is but to actually see it first hand was incredible," Fehoko said. "The atmosphere was incredible and unlike any place I've ever been and I didn't even go on a game weekend. There were fans coming up to me who knew who I was telling me how bad they wanted me to come to Tech.

"Football is just crazy there and that's what I'm looking for. When you combine how great the coaches were with the environment and being around my brother all weekend, like I said, just a perfect visit and it's going to take a lot to beat out Tech right now."

With his family connections, Texas Tech always seemed like the team to beat for Farrington (Honolulu, Hawaii) linebacker V.J Fehoko. After a great visit to Washington, it appeared the Huskies were in a good spot. However, a visit to Lubbock this past weekend has the Red Raiders back on top.

"Texas Tech is definitely the team to beat right now," Fehoko said. "I had a perfect visit, it was just an incredible time. First off, my host was my brother Sam and it was great to see him again. We're really close and growing up, he was like my idol so it was just a great experience to be around him again.

"I love the coaching staff and they were my first offer so they have always been high on my list. I visited unofficially before but this visit was way different. All the coaches were great and never pressured me the entire visit. Other schools I've talked with kind of put on a hard sell to me and tried to get me to commit but that's not really my style and the Tech coaches were just so easy to be around.

"I spent a lot of time with Coach (Mike) Leach along with Coach (Brian) Mitchell, who's my recruiting coach and Coach (Ruffin) McNeil, who's the defensive coordinator. They're all great guys and I have such a great comfort level with them. Coach Mitchell is a family friend and they told me they have big plans for me in that defense so that's exciting to hear."

Being able to see how passionate Texas football is was also eye opening for Fehoko.

"Man, you always hear about how crazy the fans are in Texas and how big football is but to actually see it first hand was incredible," Fehoko said. "The atmosphere was incredible and unlike any place I've ever been and I didn't even go on a game weekend. There were fans coming up to me who knew who I was telling me how bad they wanted me to come to Tech.

"Football is just crazy there and that's what I'm looking for. When you combine how great the coaches were with the environment and being around my brother all weekend, like I said, just a perfect visit and it's going to take a lot to beat out Tech right now."

TT has always been the team to beat...... i dont really know the guy personally or had him in class but have a couplpe of his close friends in class and they are pretty much said he was always gonna go to TT since his brother is there....

this guy is a super hard worker..polite and quite...... no real ego or anything.. .everyone here at farrington is quite proud of him......

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if he starts looking elsewhere now that there will be a new coach. Who knows, maybe they'll let Ruffin keep the team after this season.

i'll talk to him when school starts back up on the 5th.......... let him know the huskers are always looking for top talent....

welll see what happens but i still think he is gonna go there regardless because of his bro

but who knows