DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Player: Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Hometown: Portland, OR

Position: DE

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 234 lbs.

40 time: 4.7

Visit Date: 11/20

Scholarships: Arizona State, California, Colorado, Florida, LSU, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Washington

Favorites: Nebraska, Oregon State, UCLA

COMMITTED TO UCLA

Rivals: :star:star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star :star

From Portland just like Suh. Possibly another great D linemen

and another hard name to pronounce

:yeah

Have to give him a nick name if he comes here!!!

Apparently pronounced Ow-ah-mahg-bay Oh-dig-ee-zoo-wa. Or maybe just Mr. Ow?

Apparently pronounced Ow-ah-mahg-bay Oh-dig-ee-zoo-wa. Or maybe just Mr. Ow?

maybe his name means something? something like house of bombs?

From Husker Journal. We should have a good shot with this kid.

APRIL 15, 2009. PREP STAR

OWAMAGBE (OWA) ODIGHIZUWA, DE, 6-3, 230, 4.4, PORTLAND (DOUGLAS), OREGON

Owa has offers from Arizona State, California, USC, Nebraska, Notre Dame, LSU, Tennessee and many others.

“I’ve narrowed it down a little bit but I’m not giving it out at this point.” Odighizuma said

Nebraska Makes The Early Cut

“I’m interested in all the schools that I narrowed it down to, what they have to offer and Nebraska is one of many schools that I’m looking at.” Odighizuma said

“I like defensive line coach John Papachus,” says Odighizuma, “He coached at LSU prior to Nebraska and so did the head Coach (Bo Pelini), they turned out a lot of defensive players that made it in the NFL. I learned a little bit about Nebraska’s tradition, I thought it was pretty cool.”

“I hear from Nebraska a little bit here and there,” Odighizuwa said, “I tried to give them a call a few weeks ago.”

Good Guy To Play For

“Pete Carroll said he would like me to come down in the summer time. He offered me on the phone but really didn’t talk to me. I heard a lot about him (Carroll) he’s a good guy and seems like a coach to play for. ” Odighizuma said

“I’m still considering USC, they are a nice school and they have a lot to offer. I hear from USC from e-mail quite a lot and I call them here and there.” Odighizuma said

Owa Connecting With ND

“I’ve talked to Charlie Weiss (Notre Dame), the defensive line coach and a player that came out of Lincoln High School here is Portland, it was a nice conversation and I got to know more about Notre Dame.” Odighizuma said

“Notre Dame wants me to come down there like any other school. They (Notre Dame) are doing what they can to recruit me and stuff like that.” Odighizuma said

Mother Likes Stanford

“I went to Stanford on junior days,” says Odighizuma said, “It was really cool I got to meet with the coaches and see what they are all about. The coaches were cool the way they interact with the players. I also I liked the academics and the weather at Stanford.”

“My mom really likes Stanford because she likes the academics part of it. She’s really strong on Stanford but supports me about whatever decision I make.” Odighizuma added

Trim The List More

“This summer I’m going to talk it over with my family, coaches and see which schools that I like, I’m comfortable with. I’m still searching and researching before I start narrowing things down. I’m looking for a regular town, just really good coaching. Coaches that can help me become a better student and athlete.” Odighizuma said

Recruiting Attention

“I see it as a blessing, I can’t complain,” says Odighizuma. “It can be a lot to deal with. I look at it as an opportunity of a life time.”

What Coaches Like

“Coaches say they like my quickness, strength and explosiveness. They like how I use my hands for separation.” Odighizuma said

On HI it says he is consentrating on three schools, does anyone know which three schools those are and are we still actively pursuing him?

:yeah I would tell you but I don't have a membership there

On HI it says he is consentrating on three schools, does anyone know which three schools those are and are we still actively pursuing him?

Meh. Dude on Gold Helmet says its UF, USC and Stanford. Oregon and Nebraska have an outside shot. He says he'll take all of his visits so hopefully he'll come in for a game and change his thinking.

Owamagbe Odighizuwa told ESPN affiliate Web site WeAreSC.com, "I have three schools which I like. I'm still trying to work on my top five or top seven. Florida, USC and Stanford are at the top for me right now."

For much of his life, football didn't interest Owamagbe Odighizuwa.

He grew up playing soccer in Nigeria, and by the time he reached junior high in the David Douglas School District, he was more into track and field.

"I just didn't want to play football," he said.

But he finally decided to give football a try in the eighth grade, and a few years later, the 6-foot-3, 240-pound David Douglas junior defensive end is one of the most coveted college recruits in the nation.

"It's been really cool. It's been exciting," Odighizuwa said. "I'm just taking it all in."

David Douglas coach Dan Wood said Odighizuwa -- known as "Owa" at the school -- has received scholarship offers from 15 schools, including high-profile programs USC, Florida, Louisiana State, Tennessee and Notre Dame. Every school in the Pacific-10 Conference, except for Washington State and Arizona, has offered.

Scout.com and Rivals.com give Odighizuwa four stars. Rivals rates him the No. 10 defensive end in his class; Scout has him at No. 13.

"I've never had a youngster recruited to this level," said Wood, the Scots' coach since 1990.

Strong, fast and explosive, the chiseled Odighizuwa is a dominant force on defense. He was voted the Mt. Hood Conference defensive player of the year as a junior, when he had 22 tackles for loss, including 18 sacks.

"He's a nightmare, is what he is," Central Catholic coach Steve Pyne said. "He's just as strong as you can get. He's going to be a great pass-rush defensive end at the college level."

Pyne compared Odighizuwa to Central Catholic graduate Kevin Frahm, a sophomore defensive end at Oregon State.

"I don't know that he's as polished in terms of skills as Kevin was coming out of high school, but he's certainly athletically superior to Kevin," Pyne said. "As soon as he learns to play with more of a plan ... he's got future star written all over him."

Wood and his coaches first got an idea about Odighizuwa's potential a year ago when he participated in a camp at Oregon State.

"Their coach said, 'This guy's the real deal. He's going to get recruited by USC and whoever,'" Wood said. "I started thinking, 'Well, here we go.'"

Oregon State, Oregon, Stanford and Notre Dame were hot on Odighizuwa's trail during his junior season, and the national interest spiked in January after he excelled at the U.S. Army Junior Combine in Texas. He dominated one-on-one pass rushing drills and was chosen the camp's defensive MVP.

"From what the coaches said, and other people said, I was beating them up pretty bad," said Odighizuwa, whose name is pronounced "oh-a-MAH-bay oh-dee-ga-ZOO-a."

Said Wood: "Once he did that, it wasn't a week, and I had schools that I hadn't communicated with faxing in verbal offers."

Odighizuwa, who turned 17 in April, has been barraged with phone calls and is in regular communication with Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, Florida coach Urban Meyer and Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin, according to Wood.

It has been a whirlwind 2009 considering Odighizuwa is on the basketball and track teams (he runs the 100 meters in 11.9 seconds) and helps his mother, A.B., take care of his three younger brothers. But Odighizuwa, who has a 3.4 grade-point average, is doing his due diligence.

"When Florida, Notre Dame and Stanford came in, he had three pages of questions typed out, and he interviewed all of them," Wood said. "He's sizing up the college coaches."

Odighizuwa, who attended Oregon's spring game Saturday, said he plans to take all five of his college visits before making a decision.

"I don't have all five of them down, but I know for sure I'm going to take a visit to Florida," he said. "I'm still thinking about USC and Stanford."

Is proximity to home a factor in his decision?

"It matters, but in the end, it's whatever makes me and my family happy," said Odighizuwa, who was born in Ohio and lived in Nigeria (ages 3-8) and Virginia before moving to Portland as a fourth-grader.

"The bling doesn't matter to him," Wood said. "He's a meat-and-potatoes guy. He's really humble. It's so cool to see it happening to the right kind of person and the right kind of family. He's been raised right. My deal is I don't want to screw it up, and he goes to the right place."

Link

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Owamagbe says "I like coach JP"

Seriously though, I thought we had no chance with this guy, maybe we do.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

so he likes one of our coaches? you call that breaking news? :wtf

We are one of his schools of interest. He has already seen several on unofficials, so I like our chances of getting him in on an official this Fall. He is impressed with what Bo and JP did with the d-line at LSU and now with Suh. He'll be tough to get but if we can get him in for a game anything could happen.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

BREAKING NEWS! ODIGHIZUWA LIKES COACH PELINI! BREAKING NEWS! HE ALSO LIKES NEBRASKA FOOTBALL...BREAKING NEWS...YOUR POST WAS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS...

BREAKING NEWS!!!

BREAKING NEWS! ODIGHIZUWA LIKES COACH PELINI! BREAKING NEWS! HE ALSO LIKES NEBRASKA FOOTBALL...BREAKING NEWS...YOUR POST WAS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS...

You take every little thing that is posted in the recruiting forum like it's 100% serious.. Chill out once and awhile.. I mean, I like all the updates and everything but you jump down peoples throats WAYYY too much.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Oh boy, the irony is overwhelming.

Listen man, don't dish it if you can't take it. I guess this went totally over your head, but my post was satirical of your usual updates and the absurdity of recruiting news in general.

Posting every update doesn't grant you ownership of the recruiting forum. Arguments often seem to arise from that sense of entitlement. You don't need to act childish just because you missed the tone. It happens to me too sometimes.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Listen man, don't dish it if you can't take it. I guess this went totally over your head, but my post was satirical of your usual updates and the absurdity of recruiting news in general.

Posting every update doesn't grant you ownership of the recruiting forum. Arguments often seem to arise from that sense of entitlement. You don't need to act childish just because you missed the tone. It happens to me too sometimes.

+1, come on street. You act like you own this place, I have even seen you jump down Ohio's throat for no reason. Hey it is great that you post a lot of updates, but you aren't the only one with a log on and password to HB. Last I checked you don't need a special access key to post in the Recruiting forum either. I know you will most likely blow this off, but since I am the third one to respond on this issue maybe you ought to take notice of your attitude and your decorum on this MB.

Is it that time of the month for you? Take some Midol. Jeez.

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Oh I'm sorry. I was being sarcastic. See, you didn't pick up on it just like I didn't pick on yours. It's not easy telling if a person is being sarcastic or serious over the Internet, is it?

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Oh I'm sorry. I was being sarcastic. See, you didn't pick up on it just like I didn't pick on yours. It's not easy telling if a person is being sarcastic or serious over the Internet, is it?

There, I bolded the part where you should of had a clue that he was being sarcastic.

And now, in the words of Maudfather :backtotopic :backtotopic :backtotopic

Once again: :facepalm:

Come on, we can all see the intent of that comment, and it wasn't being "sarcastic". You don't need to try to cover up for it, it's OK, I am not offended.

On second thought, if you really think that is the correct way to implement sarcasm, well, you might want to consult someone with a better grasp of the language.

Do you really need to turn everything into an argument?

BREAKING NEWS!!!

There, I bolded the part where you should of had a clue that he was being sarcastic.

And now, in the words of Maudfather :backtotopic :backtotopic :backtotopic

It kind of has to do with the thread though. We found out that he liked one of our coaches.

I know this post has nothing to do with OO(Owamagbe Odighizuwa) though

Odighizuwa's top five are Florida, California, Southern Cal, UCLA and Oregon State but he said Stanford, Oregon and Nebraska are still in the mix.

I'm glad we are stilling hanging around...you never know what a good season will bring.

Getting this kid in for an official is a huge step for DONU. JP must be doing a hell of a job. Hopefully the show on the field will also impress the kid and I'd have him hang with Suh the whole time. Now if JP could fall back on that Maryland connection and get another certain DE to visit, we may have a new hero in our state. :restore