DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa

I hate to add to this thread, only because it keeps it at the top of the threads, but I stated this before: I watched this kid play here in Oregon and his effort seemed to be lacking. My expectation of a dominating player certainly did not even come close. I did only see one game so I may be wrong and who really knows what he will do at the next level. As far as coaching, I think he missed the boat but, Ricky is a solid coach and does get the best of his players... no matter what it takes. I'm not a fan of his in any way but, he has produces some solid players. And I agree with the earlier poster, Owa is not real interresting to me now that he chose not to sign with NU... Thats just the nature of the game.

I've been watching recruits come and go for over 40 years and the one constant has been that a lot of high school kids look like super stars in high school and their talent doesn't translate to the college game. its a funnel:

Pee-wee's tons of kids.

JR FB a few less.

Middle school a lot less.

Freshman FB a few less.

Sophmore FD a few less.

High school a few less.

College (Big Time) a lot less.

NFL a ton less.

Its a crap shoot.

Here's a good analogy: You date a beauty queen and finally get to score but she just lets you do all the work. You date a girl who is less pleasing to the eye but when you finally score you both work at it and its like fire works in Boston on the forth of July.

T_O_B

:cheers

That is awesome!

:clap

I've been watching recruits come and go for over 40 years and the one constant has been that a lot of high school kids look like super stars in high school and their talent doesn't translate to the college game. its a funnel:

Pee-wee's tons of kids.

JR FB a few less.

Freshman FB a few less.

Sophmore FD a few less.

High school a few less.

NFL a ton less.

Its a crap shoot.

Here's a good analogy: You date a beauty queen and finally get to score but she just lets you do all the work. You date a girl who is less pleasing to the eye but when you finally score you both work at it and its like fire works in Boston on the forth of July.

T_O_B

That was a legitimately spectacular analogy brudda

Pee-wee's tons of kids.

JR FB a few less.

Freshman FB a few less.

Sophmore FD a few less.

High school a few less.

NFL a ton less.

Its a crap shoot.

T_O_B

That was a legitimately spectacular analogy brudda

Hey OWA, UCLA is 0-2 and embarrassing. OSU is 0-1 and not a top 50 program. Nebraska is 2-0 with a freshman QB. You still happy with your choice? (9-12-10) I don't think you made the right choice. Slick Rick will be fired by the end of next year. OSU is a nice school but will never be more than a top 50 school. Nebraska will challenge for National Championships. Big 10 play as well. Nebraska was the choice!!!

• 1 year later...

Not that I'm still amazed by this kid's decision, but....

Yet more smoke smoldering up from that hot seat Slick Rick Neuheisel is sitting on:

I'd like to believe that Slick Rick gets another year at UCLA provided he turns in something over 4-8. However, should he pluck more defeat from the jaws of victory, what would you think about Mike Leach coaching the Bruins? It seems like a job he would take, and with our propensity to go cheap, he seems like a safe bet to win some games in the Pac-12 without breaking the bank.

-- Jonathan, Sacramento, Calif.

Any hopes I had for Neuheisel turning things around this year went out the window when he disclosed Tuesday that freshman quarterback/anointed savior Brett Hundley is undergoing knee surgery and will miss the first half of fall camp. Mind you, 99 percent of coaches' Media Day press conferences are completely non-newsworthy. So of course, the one coach that shows up with his own scoop is Neuheisel, and of course it involves yet another quarterback injury.

As to your question, there's no doubt whatsoever Leach would come to Westwood in a nanosecond. UCLA fits all the criteria he'd be looking for in a school (good academics, nearby talent, desirable place to live, etc.). Keep in mind, however, the Pac-12's new multibillion-dollar ESPN deal kicks in next year, and it wouldn't surprise me for one second if the contract includes a Craig James coaching-hire veto clause.

Read more

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually mostly over him. Sometimes I those what if moments, but I'm like Bo in that it's his loss.

I totally agree...his loss. But those wha if moments are glorious! Can you imagine him under the coaching of JP and the Pelini bros...oh man that would have been nice

couldn't care less. once they aren't N, well best of luck with it actually working out. Of course Rick is going to be fired, hes been fired from CU, UW, and soon to be UCLA. Anyone that falls for his snake oil did it to themselves.

At least he gets to go to the beach.

But LOL at the Leach assessment if they think he'd be cheap. Book deal, commentary, and doing whatever the hell he wants vs rebuilding a program? He took Ttech from absolute bottom feeder to heights never before seen and was fired basically because the administration there had buyers remorse on a contract that for what he did was actually probably close to in line with his market value. His agent will make sure he gets plenty of money wherever he ends up going. Anyone looking to get a cheap coach ain't looking at Leach and until somebody ponies up it's not like eccentric Key West living doesn't suit him.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 8/5/2011 at 8:20 PM, iruletheskool said:

don't ever bump this nightmare again! chuckleshuffle

32 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Busted for PEDs and released by the Giants today.  I was gutted when he went with UCLA.  

I wasn't around here back then... but what the hell, man