signingday2010.png

Player: Tobi Okuyemi

Hometown: Plymouth, MN

Position: DE

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 250 lbs.

40 time: 4.7

Visit Date: Spring Game

Scholarships: Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin

Favorites: Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin

COMMITTED TO NEBRASKA

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

ESPN

Rivals teaser says he's visiting soon:

Plymouth (Minn.) Wayzata defensive end Tobi Okuyemi knows that he has a long ways to go to reach his full potential on the football field. Considering that he's already picked up five scholarship offers, that's not a bad thing. Next month, the 6-foot-3, 235-pound standout plans to travel to Lincoln to get a closer look at his most recent suitor.
  • 1 month later...

From Husker Journal:

APRIL 26, 2009. PREP STAR

TOBI OKUYEMI, DE, 6-3, 230, 4.7, PLYMOUTH (WAYZATA), MINNESOTA

Tobi has offers from Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Nebraska

“I went to the Nebraska spring game with my dad,” says Okuyemi. “The game time atmosphere was awesome. I was surprised that they had so many people there. It was very impressive to see and the support.”

“I liked the coaches at Nebraska. I got to talk to Bo Pelini, Barney Cotton and John Papuchis. Bo talked to me about five minutes he was too busy with the reporters about the spring game, but I did have a good conversation with the other coaches." Okuyemi said

"Nebraska said they are top heavy at defensive end, if I went there I would have a chance to play my sophomore year.” Okuyemi added

Outstanding Facilities

“The Nebraska weight room is huge,” Okuyemi said. “The player’s lounge was amazing and the locker room was nice. I saw the Heisman Room and saw all the Heisman trophies, that was pretty cool.”

Tobi Meets Husker Recruit

“I met Jason Ankrah at the spring game,” Okuyemi sad. “I talked to him for awhile he signed there (Nebraska), he’s a cool guy. Ankrah said he took an official visit to Michigan and Nebraska and he knew right away that Nebraska was the right place.”

Big Ten Schools Getting Early Look

“I’ll probably visit Minnesota on an unofficial visit, just go down there. I like Minnesota it’s a good place. For sure all the schools I’ve been to Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska, they are all good places.” Okuyemi said

“I’ve been to Iowa twice, I went to their junior days while back and a couple weekends ago I went to one of their practices. I went down with some of my teammates and that was fun doing that.” Okuyemi said

“I’ve been to Wisconsin twice also. I was there for junior days and about a month ago for spring practice. The campus (Madison) is great and I got to talk to some of the players there.” Okuyemi said

“To be honest I don’t know too much about Kentucky,” says Okuyemi. ”I’m hoping to have a chance to see them. If I go on a road trip that’s a place I hope to stop by and Vanderbilt and see what they are like.”

Other Schools Are Interested In Tobi

“Right now I’m beginning to get stuff from Oregon, Tennessee which requested my film. I plan on going to Ohio State and Notre Dame camps and see what happens.” Okuyemi said

Training Schedule

“We have a pretty intense training program here at school this post season. We won state and went 13-0 so we work pretty hard in the off season, a five day a week program. We have morning 7 on 7 workout outs.” Okuyemi added

“I’m really explosive off the line. I have a knack of keeping my feet going, getting after the ball. Chasing the quarterback down from the back side.” Okuyemi said

Post Season Games

“I haven’t been contacted by any post season games,” says Okuyemi. “Yet I’m still under the radar. The start of my junior season no one has really heard of me. Once teams see my film, hopefully have a good season, I would love to play in one of those games.”

“Right now I want to play early my sophomore year. Maybe redshirt my freshman year and hopefully get a good amount of playing time then. I’m also looking for a good school a place where I feel comfortable from talking to the players and coaches. ” Okuyemi said

Okuyemi said he will take his all his five visits after his senior year and the commit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been talking to a guy who does a bunch of Gopher stuff and he said if Minnesota doesn't get this guy Coach Brewster is going to have some people questioning his coaching future, especially being he was brought here because of his recruiting prowess. And if he can't land a local guy then what chance does he have on a national stage.

I have been talking to a guy who does a bunch of Gopher stuff and he said if Minnesota doesn't get this guy Coach Brewster is going to have some people questioning his coaching future, especially being he was brought here because of his recruiting prowess. And if he can't land a local guy then what chance does he have on a national stage.

Really, Okuyemi is only locally since he moved there. He grew up and is originally from Kansas, IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

From Husker Journal:

APRIL 26, 2009. PREP STAR

TOBI OKUYEMI, DE, 6-3, 230, 4.7, PLYMOUTH (WAYZATA), MINNESOTA

"Nebraska said they are top heavy at defensive end, if I went there I would have a chance to play my sophomore year.” Okuyemi added

We're top heavy at Defensive End but it still doesn't mean that he can't play Defensive Tackle or possibly Linebacker.