signingday2010.png

Player: Jay Guy

Hometown: Aldine, TX

Position: DT

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 300 lbs.

40 time: TBD

Visit Date: TBD

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Cal (soft verbal), Baylor, Houston, Kansas State, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Texas A&M, SMU, Stanford, UCLA,

Favorites: TBD

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Scout:

ESPN Grade: N/A

Assessing the talent:

"Guy is not just another guy on the field. He is a fun player to watch as he has a "bull in a china shop" style to his play. He is very active for a big boy and while at times he can be sloppy in his play he can be disruptive. He is a thickly built kid with adequate height. Needs to be more consistent in his get-off, but he shows that he can be explosive at times coming out of his stance. When he is clicking and firing off the ball low and shooting his hands he can stun and knock back a blocker. He can be disruptive in the backfield by getting the blocker on his heels and pushing him back. He does need to watch his pad level as he can tend to play high. He will come off the ball with force but will leave his chest exposed. He can struggle with double teams some because he can play high. He can be active with hands, but needs to be more consistent in quickly punching and separating from blockers. He can be violent, but at times makes things harder on himself and gets caught up wrestling with blockers. When he can get to the shoulder of a blocker he can power his way into the backfield and will flash the ability to turn his hips and get skinny some to slip past. He has a good motor and really hustles around. As a pass rusher he can bull rush his way back, but needs to be more active with his weapons and work on shedding from the blockers so he can not just create pressure, but also get to the quarterback. There are some things that Guy needs to clean up, but he is a big kid that lets it fly on the snap of the ball."

- from ESPN

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%. Verbally committed to Cal, but we recently offered and he seems very excited about it.

627698.jpg

my God he's big! 6'2'' 300 lbs. !!! wonder what kind of speed he has...

EDIT: Scout has his 40 at 5.1

Bull $#@T!

Suh's 300 pounds and runs a 4.94

I don't want to say this dude is another Suh, but he resembles him.

what's his 10 yard dash? that's more important for the hogs.

my God he's big! 6'2'' 300 lbs. !!! wonder what kind of speed he has...

EDIT: Scout has his 40 at 5.1

Bull $#@T!

Suh's 300 pounds and runs a 4.94

I don't want to say this dude is another Suh, but he resembles him.

you dont know for sure what Suh runs....but a high schooler that is 6 2 300 lbs wont run a 5.1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest from Husker Journal. We are in it. I just don't see this guy ending up at Cal.

MARCH 23, 2009. PREP STAR

JAY GUY, DT, 6-2, 300, ALDINE (EISENHOWER), TEXAS

Guy Looking Around

“Yes I committed to California. I thought it was a good school, academics, football wise. I haven’t been there before I just talk to the coaches out there. I’m still looking around. I’m getting my visits set up for the summer. I’m not solid with California I’m a soft verbal to them.” Guy said

“I told the California coaches that I was going to look around, they understood. I still have a lot of time even though I’m graduating early In January. I still want to look around find the best fit for me.” Guy said “UCLA is one of the schools I’m going to look at this summer. Probably check put A&M and Michigan. I’m probably going to take an official to Nebraska but I don’t know for sure.” Guy said

Why UCLA?

“It’s LA, so you know it’s really nice out there. It’s a great environment great education. It’s on a rise football team. UCLA said I can have a chance to play early there. UCLA coaches really want mo out there and I have a chance to fit in.” Guy added

Close To Home

“It’s (Texas A&M) school, they have a good program. A&M is trying to regain their reputation. I talked to Coach Sherman the other day you can tell his energy.” Guy said

“The fans feel pretty confident what Sherman is doing,” Guy said, “They like the recruits he is bringing down and the direction where the program is going. I think A&M had a good recruiting class this year, I think they can do something if they put the players in the right places.”

Championships

“I like Michigan,” Guy said, “They have championships. It’s a great school. Coach Rodriguez is a pretty good coach hopefully he can jump start Michigan back to the old ways. Bring them back to National Championships and Big 10 Championships.”

Nebraska Might Get A Visit

“If I do go to Nebraska it will be this fall and check out a game. Nebraska has tradition there, it’s all tradition. I just got offered from Nebraska last week. I get a lot of letters from them. Most of my letters come from Coach (Bo) Pelini.” Guy said

Surprised Offer

“I was surprised to get an offer from them (Nebraska).” Guy said, “I never thought Nebraska would ever come all the way down to Houston to recruit me. Nebraska and all the schools that offered me said they will be down this spring and talk to me.”

“I’m going to take as many visits as I can but you know with the short time I have, I don’t know if I will make them all. I’ll probably have my school chosen by end of November. I’ll try to make some (game day) visits after my Friday night games.” Guy said

“I’m looking at a school where I like the coaching staff and a great education. I’m willing to leave the area. Just what feels right. My parents support me whatever I do. Where ever I go they will support me.” Guy said

Hearing From Other Schools

“Schools are trying to come in like Notre Dame. Vanderbilt and Oregon pretty much are interested.” Guy added

“Our school plays a 4-3 defense,” Guy said, “I play nose tackle. I also can play defensive tackle, shade and the three technique.”

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...