QB Jesse Scroggins

Player: Jesse Scroggins

Hometown: Lakewood, CA

Position: QB

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 195 lbs.

40 time: 4.8

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Florida, LSU, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, San Diego State, SMU, Tennessee, USC, Washington, Washington State

Favorites: Florida, Tennessee, USC

COMMITTED TO USC

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star

Scroggins is just scratching the surface

There may not be a Matt Barkley (USC) or Richard Brehaut (UCLA) in the 2010-quarterback class out West, but there are a handful of signal callers beginning to emerge as bonafide national recruits.

After watching his film two weeks ago, there may not be a better quarterback prospect in California than Lakewood standout Jesse Scroggins. He has great physical tools and is still only scratching the surface of how good he could be in a few years.

As a junior, Scroggins threw for 2,570 yards, 23 touchdowns, was CIF offensive MVP and earned All-CIF honors. He may only be 6-foot-1, but has a big arm and can make every throw.

"I just got two more offers this week," Scroggins said. "SMU offered on Tuesday and Nebraska offered on Wednesday. I also have Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State and Tennessee. At this point, I'm really wide open and have no early favorites. Everyone is equal and that's how I want to keep it until I take some visits and meet the coaching staffs. I know I'm going to be camping with some schools, but I'm not sure where yet. My coach handles all that.

Academically, Scroggins is carrying a 2.7 GPA and scored a 1500 on the SAT. He wants to major in Business in college and will attend the SoCal Nike Camp in April.

"The main thing I'm looking for is a place where I'll have a great relationship with the offensive coordinator. That means more to me than how I get along with the head coach because the OC is the one you spend your time with. I want a guy who can develop me and I enjoy working with, that is going to be the most important thing for me."

per Scout: “Yes sir I have an official offer from Tennessee to play quarterback,” Scroggins confirmed. “I’m really excited about the offer. I have a lot of interest in Tennessee for a lot of reasons.”

“All of my mother’s family lives in Memphis,” Scroggins said. “We go there a lot; I have always loved that part of the country.” While Scroggins claims not to have an early favorite, he admitted that Tennessee, Washington and LSU were definitely in his top three.

per ESPN: "I (Lakewood coach Thadd MacNeal) also just got a call from the OC (Steve Addazio) at Florida and he told me they want in the game for Jesse and plan to offer. I don't think you get much bigger than that. We're also hearing a lot from USC and UCLA and both schools are saying they want Jesse to camp with them before they offer, so I think Jesse will camp at both schools in the summer."

translation...Nebraska has little to no chance at landing him.

I think we're trying to land Gabbert. Gabbert seems to be our number 1 guy. After that, who knows?

Word is that Gabbert is damn likely.

I'd say Hendrix would be the next most likely should we miss on Gabbert for some reason.

per Rivals: One of the West Coast's most sought-after quarterbacks has been given a challenge by USC. Jesse Scroggins will be one of six signal-callers to get an invite to USC's summer skills camp. The "winner" of the two-day competition will apparently be handed a scholarship offer by the Trojans.

per Rivals: One of the West Coast's most sought-after quarterbacks has been given a challenge by USC. Jesse Scroggins will be one of six signal-callers to get an invite to USC's summer skills camp. The "winner" of the two-day competition will apparently be handed a scholarship offer by the Trojans.

Must be nice to be USC. Tryouts to see who gets the schollie.

per Rivals: the Vols have a good shot at landing Lakewood (Calif.) High's Jesse Scroggins. But there is competition from LSU and Washington. Despite numerous West Coast offers, Scroggins has family ties in Tennessee, as his mother's side of the family lives in Nashville. But he was excited about his recent offer from LSU.

doesn't look promising...

doesn't look promising...

:yeah

I think we can forget about him:

Offers pouring in for QB Scroggins

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Posted by Greg Biggins

It has been an exciting couple of days for Lakewood (Calif.) quarterback Jesse Scroggins. On Tuesday, the signal caller picked up a scholarship offer from his top local school and then the national champs came calling on Thursday.

Scroggins has tremendous physical tools and a very big upside. His film is as good as we've seen and according to Lakewood coach Thad MacNeal, every school that has come by the campus has offered.

"Notre Dame just spent three hours here earlier in the week and USC was here on Tuesday," MacNeal said. "Name a school and they have been by and everyone has said the same thing, they feel he's the best they have seen.

"His film is great and every coach calls me ahead of time and says, 'If he's as good in person as he is on film, we're offering.' Then after watching him throw at the school, they'll tell me he's even better in person than on film. USC was going to wait until the Rising Stars Camp before they offered but after watching him, they said they had seen enough and have offered."

On Thursday, Scroggins talked with Florida coach Urban Meyer and the Gators have offered as well.

"I'm hyped on Florida for sure," Scroggins said. "They win national championships there and coach Meyer does a great job with the quarterback position. They said they're changing the offense after Tebow graduates to a more drop back style offense and they brought in Scott Loeffler to be the OC there and that's the kind of offense he has always run so I know it will be a good fit for me.

"My coach and I plan to take an unofficial visit out there in the summer and we're just working out the dates. I've only been to Washington so far and liked it there a lot but I want to check out a few more schools in the summer because I plan to try and make a commitment before the school year starts up."

Scroggins was equally excited by the offer from USC.

"I've always liked USC, it's a great school," Scroggins said. "They're high on my list and it's cool to have the local school as an option. I know some players might be afraid to go there because they signed Matt Barkley last year but that's not me at all. I'm all about competing and may the best guy win the job."

According to coach MacNeal, two other schools very high on the list for Scroggins are Tennessee and LSU and both could get unofficial visits. Cal is up there as well along with the Huskies, who Scroggins has already visited.

There's been a lot of speculation that Scroggins has made a decision to commit to USC, because Tennessee offered Mission Viejo quarterback Chase Rettig this morning. But Scroggins denies he's made a decision and said he will begin writing down the pros and cons of his top three schools (USC, Florida, Tennessee) in a few days.

Scroggins told us tonight, he will announce his commitment at the camp (2010 Elite 11 Camp) on July 25.

^^^lol guess not...committed to USC

Not exactly a shocker, he's been considered almost a lock for some time and Tenn was already chasing their next option at qb.

Per ESPN:

"The Tennessee Volunteers may be gaining from USC's loss. Four-star QB Jesse Scroggins gave USC a deadline of Saturday morning until he decides to go elsewhere, the Los Angeles Times reports.

And Volunteers fans are abuzz because they feel as if they have the best chance to land him. Scroggins may also be considering Florida, LSU, Colorado and Nebraska."

Per ESPN:

"The Tennessee Volunteers may be gaining from USC's loss. Four-star QB Jesse Scroggins gave USC a deadline of Saturday morning until he decides to go elsewhere, the Los Angeles Times reports.

And Volunteers fans are abuzz because they feel as if they have the best chance to land him. Scroggins may also be considering Florida, LSU, Colorado and Nebraska."

I saw this too. Supposedly Urban Meyer contacted this kid over the weekend and told him he'd take him in a heartbeat. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at Florida.

Per ESPN:

I saw this too. Supposedly Urban Meyer contacted this kid over the weekend and told him he'd take him in a heartbeat. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at Florida.

Since he is no longer the head coach, is he able to recruit for Florida?

Per ESPN:

Since he is no longer the head coach, is he able to recruit for Florida?

I'm not sure how that all stacks up on paper? Depends what the terms & conditions for Leave of Absence requires in such matters. But it's a good question.

Jesse Scroggins called his shot Monday night: He will win a national championship at USC in 2012. Unless he decides to go elsewhere. The Lakewood High quarterback has imposed a Saturday morning deadline for the Trojans to name a replacement for Coach Pete Carroll, who has resigned to take the same post in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks. If USC doesn't name a successor by then, Scroggins said, "I'm going to look for a college who could win the national championship in 2012."

can't really blame him, but kid has some spunk.

"Jesse is thrilled with the hire and is definitely a Trojan now," Lakewood coach Thad MacNeal said. "When he heard about the hire, he told me, 'coach, I'm staying home.' I never thought he would end up anywhere else. The depth chart really sets up well for Jesse and he's excited to be able to play for a great program close to home."