QB Jesse Scroggins

Player: Jesse Scroggins

Hometown: Lakewood, CA

Position: QB

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 195 lbs.

40 time: 4.8

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Florida, LSU, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, San Diego State, SMU, Tennessee, USC, Washington, Washington State

Favorites: Florida, Tennessee, USC

COMMITTED TO USC

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star

• 2 weeks later...

Scroggins is just scratching the surface

There may not be a Matt Barkley (USC) or Richard Brehaut (UCLA) in the 2010-quarterback class out West, but there are a handful of signal callers beginning to emerge as bonafide national recruits.

After watching his film two weeks ago, there may not be a better quarterback prospect in California than Lakewood standout Jesse Scroggins. He has great physical tools and is still only scratching the surface of how good he could be in a few years.

As a junior, Scroggins threw for 2,570 yards, 23 touchdowns, was CIF offensive MVP and earned All-CIF honors. He may only be 6-foot-1, but has a big arm and can make every throw.

"I just got two more offers this week," Scroggins said. "SMU offered on Tuesday and Nebraska offered on Wednesday. I also have Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State and Tennessee. At this point, I'm really wide open and have no early favorites. Everyone is equal and that's how I want to keep it until I take some visits and meet the coaching staffs. I know I'm going to be camping with some schools, but I'm not sure where yet. My coach handles all that.

Academically, Scroggins is carrying a 2.7 GPA and scored a 1500 on the SAT. He wants to major in Business in college and will attend the SoCal Nike Camp in April.

"The main thing I'm looking for is a place where I'll have a great relationship with the offensive coordinator. That means more to me than how I get along with the head coach because the OC is the one you spend your time with. I want a guy who can develop me and I enjoy working with, that is going to be the most important thing for me."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

per Scout: “Yes sir I have an official offer from Tennessee to play quarterback,” Scroggins confirmed. “I’m really excited about the offer. I have a lot of interest in Tennessee for a lot of reasons.”

“All of my mother’s family lives in Memphis,” Scroggins said. “We go there a lot; I have always loved that part of the country.” While Scroggins claims not to have an early favorite, he admitted that Tennessee, Washington and LSU were definitely in his top three.

per ESPN: "I (Lakewood coach Thadd MacNeal) also just got a call from the OC (Steve Addazio) at Florida and he told me they want in the game for Jesse and plan to offer. I don't think you get much bigger than that. We're also hearing a lot from USC and UCLA and both schools are saying they want Jesse to camp with them before they offer, so I think Jesse will camp at both schools in the summer."

translation...Nebraska has little to no chance at landing him.

per Rivals: One of the West Coast's most sought-after quarterbacks has been given a challenge by USC. Jesse Scroggins will be one of six signal-callers to get an invite to USC's summer skills camp. The "winner" of the two-day competition will apparently be handed a scholarship offer by the Trojans.

per Rivals: One of the West Coast's most sought-after quarterbacks has been given a challenge by USC. Jesse Scroggins will be one of six signal-callers to get an invite to USC's summer skills camp. The "winner" of the two-day competition will apparently be handed a scholarship offer by the Trojans.

Must be nice to be USC. Tryouts to see who gets the schollie.