QB Jesse Scroggins

per Rivals: the Vols have a good shot at landing Lakewood (Calif.) High's Jesse Scroggins. But there is competition from LSU and Washington. Despite numerous West Coast offers, Scroggins has family ties in Tennessee, as his mother's side of the family lives in Nashville. But he was excited about his recent offer from LSU.

doesn't look promising...

doesn't look promising...

:yeah

I think we can forget about him:

Offers pouring in for QB Scroggins

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Posted by Greg Biggins

It has been an exciting couple of days for Lakewood (Calif.) quarterback Jesse Scroggins. On Tuesday, the signal caller picked up a scholarship offer from his top local school and then the national champs came calling on Thursday.

Scroggins has tremendous physical tools and a very big upside. His film is as good as we've seen and according to Lakewood coach Thad MacNeal, every school that has come by the campus has offered.

"Notre Dame just spent three hours here earlier in the week and USC was here on Tuesday," MacNeal said. "Name a school and they have been by and everyone has said the same thing, they feel he's the best they have seen.

"His film is great and every coach calls me ahead of time and says, 'If he's as good in person as he is on film, we're offering.' Then after watching him throw at the school, they'll tell me he's even better in person than on film. USC was going to wait until the Rising Stars Camp before they offered but after watching him, they said they had seen enough and have offered."

On Thursday, Scroggins talked with Florida coach Urban Meyer and the Gators have offered as well.

"I'm hyped on Florida for sure," Scroggins said. "They win national championships there and coach Meyer does a great job with the quarterback position. They said they're changing the offense after Tebow graduates to a more drop back style offense and they brought in Scott Loeffler to be the OC there and that's the kind of offense he has always run so I know it will be a good fit for me.

"My coach and I plan to take an unofficial visit out there in the summer and we're just working out the dates. I've only been to Washington so far and liked it there a lot but I want to check out a few more schools in the summer because I plan to try and make a commitment before the school year starts up."

Scroggins was equally excited by the offer from USC.

"I've always liked USC, it's a great school," Scroggins said. "They're high on my list and it's cool to have the local school as an option. I know some players might be afraid to go there because they signed Matt Barkley last year but that's not me at all. I'm all about competing and may the best guy win the job."

According to coach MacNeal, two other schools very high on the list for Scroggins are Tennessee and LSU and both could get unofficial visits. Cal is up there as well along with the Huskies, who Scroggins has already visited.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a lot of speculation that Scroggins has made a decision to commit to USC, because Tennessee offered Mission Viejo quarterback Chase Rettig this morning. But Scroggins denies he's made a decision and said he will begin writing down the pros and cons of his top three schools (USC, Florida, Tennessee) in a few days.

Scroggins told us tonight, he will announce his commitment at the camp (2010 Elite 11 Camp) on July 25.

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

Per ESPN:

"The Tennessee Volunteers may be gaining from USC's loss. Four-star QB Jesse Scroggins gave USC a deadline of Saturday morning until he decides to go elsewhere, the Los Angeles Times reports.

And Volunteers fans are abuzz because they feel as if they have the best chance to land him. Scroggins may also be considering Florida, LSU, Colorado and Nebraska."