QB Robert Mavre

I can't see a big downside to this one. The guy has a skillset we could use, starting experience and would, by neccessity, have time to be acclimated to the system. If he doesn't work out, we're not without other options. Frankly, I think it would be nice to have a change of pace QB in the system as I think Watts has the flexibility to use his talents.

Also, further competition keeps Green and Co. on their toes even after Lee graduates.

First of all, there is nothing about our offense that prohibits drop-back style quarterbacks. Moreover, have you seen film of the guy? If he's slow, so was Joe Ganz. He's got a lot of upside as a passer and is a good athlete as well. As for the troubles that surrounded him; it clearly was not a good situation in Miami. Kid deserves a second chance rather than be labeled as a definitive troublemaker for life. Whether that's at Nebraska or not, we'll see.

QFT. Can't understand why people wouldn't want him.

First of all, there is nothing about our offense that prohibits drop-back style quarterbacks. Moreover, have you seen film of the guy? If he's slow, so was Joe Ganz. He's got a lot of upside as a passer and is a good athlete as well. As for the troubles that surrounded him; it clearly was not a good situation in Miami. Kid deserves a second chance rather than be labeled as a definitive troublemaker for life. Whether that's at Nebraska or not, we'll see.

QFT. Can't understand why people wouldn't want him.

Zoogies and DCA,

I don't want Marve at Nebraska because:

1. I don't want the Huskers to become known as the team that picks up other school's rejects/problem players.

2. QB really isn't a position of need right now, nor will it be next year-barring injuries/unexpected transfers etc. (Although I'm sure the current staff would probably like to take at least one QB per class.)

3. Bringing a kid on who will only have two years of eligibility, after he sits out the transfer year, could actually inhibit Nebraska's chances to sign a QB from high school. Do the math, two years of eligibility versus four.

That's why I don't want him.

Zoogies and DCA,

I don't want Marve at Nebraska because:

1. I don't want the Huskers to become known as the team that picks up other school's rejects/problem players.

2. QB really isn't a position of need right now, nor will it be next year-barring injuries/unexpected transfers etc. (Although I'm sure the current staff would probably like to take at least one QB per class.)

3. Bringing a kid on who will only have two years of eligibility, after he sits out the transfer year, could actually inhibit Nebraska's chances to sign a QB from high school. Do the math, two years of eligibility versus four.

That's why I don't want him.

You mean there's only one team known for that?

I guess in a way, NC or NCState, is sorta thought of as our QB recepticle..But the musical chairs thing is becoming mucho more common..

Maybe not much need for a starter..But you can never have enough depth especially for practices..We've really been lucky injury wise, but someday it may run out...Plus..isn't he a reaction to an unexpected transfer that already happened? The coaches should be bent on filling that void, and this kid looks to be the best option available..Plus..I think we still need to keep the Florida pipeline active...This may help to reopen it.

A really good HS QB doesn't shy away from competition..And even the purty good QB's will see him as a threat for only a couple years..Should we have discouraged the signing of Green for fear of inhibiting our chance of signing someone even better next year?

A really good HS QB doesn't shy away from competition..And even the purty good QB's will see him as a threat for only a couple years..Should we have discouraged the signing of Green for fear of inhibiting our chance of signing someone even better next year?

Every top program will sign the best high school QB they can every year. And opposing coaches will use that against them. You better believe any QB Ohio State tried to get last year heard about it. But transfers especially open you to negative recruiting. Mavre would be the 3rd QB transfer to Nebraska in 4 or 5 years. Opposing coaches will use that against Nebraska.

Every top program will sign the best high school QB they can every year. And opposing coaches will use that against them. You better believe any QB Ohio State tried to get last year heard about it. But transfers especially open you to negative recruiting. Mavre would be the 3rd QB transfer to Nebraska in 4 or 5 years. Opposing coaches will use that against Nebraska.

You're absolutely right about the negative recruiting aspect and it would probably go something like this:

:star:star:star:star QB Recruit: [Talking to some Coach] I have to tell you that I'm very seriously considering Nebraska.

Coach: You know that they just accepted Marve from Miami right? And what if you do sign with Nebraska and next year they accept another transfer-in QB? It could be three or four years before you even get an opportunity to see the field. With us you have a chance to see the field as a redshirt freshman. One year versus three of not playing/sitting on the bench.

:star:star:star:star QB Recruit: Wow coach, you know I really do want to go to a school where I have a chance to play as early as possible.

Coach: Well then Nebraska clearly isn't the school for you.

[Repeat this scene multiple times as the :star:star:star:star QB recruit goes on all of his visits.]

You're absolutely right about the negative recruiting aspect and it would probably go something like this:

:star:star:star:star QB Recruit: [Talking to some Coach] I have to tell you that I'm very seriously considering Nebraska.

Coach: You know that they just accepted Marve from Miami right? And what if you do sign with Nebraska and next year they accept another transfer-in QB? It could be three or four years before you even get an opportunity to see the field. With us you have a chance to see the field as a redshirt freshman. One year versus three of not playing/sitting on the bench.

:star:star:star:star QB Recruit: Wow coach, you know I really do want to go to a school where I have a chance to play as early as possible.

[Repeat this scene multiple times as the :star:star:star:star QB recruit goes on all of his visits.]

On the other hand, if the kid is any kind of competitor, he might also say, "Are you saying that I'm not good enough to beat those other guys out?"

Indignation might win the day...

On the other hand, if the kid is any kind of competitor, he might also say, "Are you saying that I'm not good enough to beat those other guys out?"

Indignation might win the day...

:yeah

I didn't realize we'd already had 2 recent QB xfers to the program..

Keller is the only one that comes to mind, but even so..I'd hope it's obvious with the coaching change, there would be some turnover expected.

Although, I was a little concerned at our not "naming?" our new offense or at least trying a little harder to define it...How it could be used against us by recruiters..

I mean..there's still some confusion among us all knowing fans as to why we are going after dual threat QBs and still have an interest in more of a "drop back" QB.

If I was recruiting for someone else and after a certain type, I'd probably tell him those tricky Bugeaters are just after you for their practice team because you can emulate half the top QBs in the Big-12..Good luck ever seeing the field.

Every top program will sign the best high school QB they can every year

Good point..

We're probably still a year or two away for recruiting to settle out a little more where we are better able to skip a class and not have more negative repercussions.

The fact that we just lost a QB with two or three seasons of eligibility left. means it would maybe be better to replace him with someone with two or three years left..just for a "rotation" standpoint (freeing up a scholarship sooner while maintaining a QB for the "orphaned" class.

2. QB really isn't a position of need right now.....

You were saying....? :laughpound

QB's available, or potentially available for the Huskers to use come fall: Lee, Green, Martinez, Ebke and Washington.

With potentially five QB's to choose from, do the Huskers really need a sixth? No. So again, even with Spano's injury, QB is still plenty stocked.

2. QB really isn't a position of need right now.....

You were saying....? :laughpound

QB's available, or potentially available for the Huskers to use come fall: Lee, Green, Martinez, Ebke and Washington.

With potentially five QB's to choose from, do the Huskers really need a sixth? No. So again, even with Spano's injury, QB is still plenty stocked.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, not. How many live game snaps have all of those guys taken in their college careers? 3? 5? Total added together for all of them! We may have a few bodies there but we need the depth and experience. Martinez will not play QB, he's not a college QB. And believe me, I wish he would go in and blow them away and win the job, he shares my last name!

Hmmmmmmmmmm, not. How many live game snaps have all of those guys taken in their college careers? 3? 5? Total added together for all of them! We may have a few bodies there but we need the depth and experience. Martinez will not play QB, he's not a college QB. And believe me, I wish he would go in and blow them away and win the job, he shares my last name!

Regardless, since Marve would not be eligible for the Fall, the point about needing a QB for the Fall (I think Nebraska clearly does) is moot. Ideally dipsh*t would have thrown his hissy fit prior to the end of recruiting to allow Nebraska a chance to get a JUCO for this year's class. Since he did not, Marve could only provide depth and competition for the starting spot in the coming years (but would be ideally suited to immediately contribute as scout team QB since the rest of our QBs need all the snaps in our offense they can get).

The question will be do the benefits outweigh the costs and that will be a question Bo will have to answer, but the decision won't likely be made based on what we have for 2009 (presumably a walk-on could contribute as scout team QB), but what we'll have for 2010 and 2011.

With Spano out till at least Fall, this may open the door to Nebraska for Mavre. It means Mavre would have the direct ability to try and take the second string job behind Lee and allow us to preserve Green's redshirt. Even though what happened to Spano is tough to swallow, it may work out for us as far as Green is concerned.

With Spano out till at least Fall, this may open the door to Nebraska for Mavre. It means Mavre would have the direct ability to try and take the second string job behind Lee and allow us to preserve Green's redshirt. Even though what happened to Spano is tough to swallow, it may work out for us as far as Green is concerned.

Thats not correct. As stated, Marve is inelligible to play for an FBS team in 2009. He is of no use to NU this coming season.