QB Robert Mavre

Yeah, don't know what the deal is with the family part. I'll let that play out more I guess. Have heard stuff about his father's cancer though.

HuskerTrucker, is Zac Taylor a carpet bagger for not staying loyal to Wake Forest? I mean, if you go somewhere and it doesn't work out, it takes strength to acknowledge that and leave. And try to find a better situation. Yes, sometimes it's just a case of quitter-itis. But we don't know that.

Also, Lucky was utilized more by Callahan (last year), when he looked like he was going to be a high draft pick than by Bo (this year). He came out of last year as the nation's best receiving threat out of the backfield, and how was that ability utilized this season?

I guess anyone that transfers is sort of being a carpet bagger, aren't they? My problem with this is that there is just no loyalty there when they do something like that. I guess I grew up with the notion that there was Nebraska...and then there just was no other option in my mind if I ever had the opportunity to go somewhere on a scholarship. That would have been my first choice, and only choice (unfortunately the talent was never there).

Lucky had two things going against him this year, he was hurt for one, and then he (as well as the rest of the backs) didn't get much support at the beginning of the year from the line - they sucked. I was thinking about that last night, our offensive line at the beginning of the year played as if we had taken 5 freshmen and thrown them on the line for the first time, none of them knew what they had to do, or had the confidence to do it. By the end of the year, though, it was beginning to come together, and by that time, Lucky had been left in the dust by the other backs and didn't get that much opportunity. Who knows what he really could have done, or not done for that point. BC's offense (actually Watson's under BC) was built around the quick pass - maybe they knew they had a line that wouldn't be able to do run support on a run offense, who knows? But the line didn't have to hold anyone for long because the ball wasn't going to be in the backfield long...

Are there circumstances where there should be transfers? Maybe. If a kid is recruited under one coach with a certain offense, and there is a coaching change - yeah I could justify that one. But when a kid plays a part of the creation of his own situation by getting into trouble, or having his family allegedly going behind everyones back looking for a team he feels he can do better on - no way. If Mavre comes to Nebraska, realizes that he isn't going to play then what? Is he going to be a negative influence by constantly complaining to the press and other players? Or is he going to start shopping around again? (Though I have a hard time believing any team would touch him at that point.)

Keller got screwed with his situation, but he also asked before he started shopping around. But then IMHO he did our program no favors long term by being eligible for a single season. That is time we could have developed another QB...even if we had to take some lumps doing it. Individually Keller put up some great numbers obviously - but I think in some ways the long term good of the team was overlooked. Bringing in someone like that also undermines recruiting - a recruit would ask himself if they would do it again when he thought he was the next apparent starter since they did it once. I think if you really want to develop your recruiting and keep it in shape, along with your reputation on recruiting, you have to allow players to develop - and take some lumps sometimes doing it.

I guess anyone that transfers is sort of being a carpet bagger, aren't they? My problem with this is that there is just no loyalty there when they do something like that. I guess I grew up with the notion that there was Nebraska...and then there just was no other option in my mind if I ever had the opportunity to go somewhere on a scholarship. That would have been my first choice, and only choice (unfortunately the talent was never there).

Lucky had two things going against him this year, he was hurt for one, and then he (as well as the rest of the backs) didn't get much support at the beginning of the year from the line - they sucked. I was thinking about that last night, our offensive line at the beginning of the year played as if we had taken 5 freshmen and thrown them on the line for the first time, none of them knew what they had to do, or had the confidence to do it. By the end of the year, though, it was beginning to come together, and by that time, Lucky had been left in the dust by the other backs and didn't get that much opportunity. Who knows what he really could have done, or not done for that point. BC's offense (actually Watson's under BC) was built around the quick pass - maybe they knew they had a line that wouldn't be able to do run support on a run offense, who knows? But the line didn't have to hold anyone for long because the ball wasn't going to be in the backfield long...

Are there circumstances where there should be transfers? Maybe. If a kid is recruited under one coach with a certain offense, and there is a coaching change - yeah I could justify that one. But when a kid plays a part of the creation of his own situation by getting into trouble, or having his family allegedly going behind everyones back looking for a team he feels he can do better on - no way. If Mavre comes to Nebraska, realizes that he isn't going to play then what? Is he going to be a negative influence by constantly complaining to the press and other players? Or is he going to start shopping around again? (Though I have a hard time believing any team would touch him at that point.)

Keller got screwed with his situation, but he also asked before he started shopping around. But then IMHO he did our program no favors long term by being eligible for a single season. That is time we could have developed another QB...even if we had to take some lumps doing it. Individually Keller put up some great numbers obviously - but I think in some ways the long term good of the team was overlooked. Bringing in someone like that also undermines recruiting - a recruit would ask himself if they would do it again when he thought he was the next apparent starter since they did it once. I think if you really want to develop your recruiting and keep it in shape, along with your reputation on recruiting, you have to allow players to develop - and take some lumps sometimes doing it.

I will have to disagree with you on this, which is rare actually. By your logic great players like Scott Frost and Zac Taylor are "Carpet Baggers" and not "TRUE" Huskers. I don't get that logic at all. They wore the Crimson and Cream and bled for this program just like everyone else. Players like that had to work even harder to become accepted and be leaders of the team in a shorter amount of time. I think the negative example of Keller is because he didn't put the effort in that Zac or Scott did.

Didn't he basically "quit" on his team like Witt or Beck or Dailey or Dukes or any other kid that has left the program and has been bashed for it? Yet some may be excited if he does try to come here? Interesting <_<

I wouldn't throw Dailey in with those other guys, BC kinda bailed on him. Witt, Beck, and Dukes got treated totally fairly and bolted on us.

As far as Marve goes I think Shannon basically announced that other qb was their qb of the future. Marve was looking at riding pine or transferring. Only time will tell if Marve will be Snead or a Beck.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.... unrealistic and, actually, quite unfair to the players. There are some examples of kids who transfer who don't show the kind of leadership or character you would want ultimately in a player (the Mitch Mustain situation comes to mind), but c'mon. Are you telling me that if your son committed to NU, got there and hated it, didn't like the staff, was struggling in the classroom, and was begging you to approve of him seeking his release you would tell him no? It's very easy to paint with a wide brush and generalize, and I'm sure that we could find some kids that I would agree with you on, but let's be realistic.

One guy brought up Jevan Snead. Great example. He gets to Texas and finds himself behind Colt McCoy. He knows he won't play until his senior year. He is early in his college career so now is the time to transfer. Let's not forget, these kids are trying to parlay their college careers into jobs making millions of dollars in the NFL. It's a lot harder to do with just one season under your belt as a starter. First year starters at QB really have to impress to be drafted high. Just look at all of the players who got invites to all star games and the combine that had seasons that paled in comparison to Joe Ganz's season.

Don't let your Ivory Tower Meter reach full capacity.

Ex-Miami QB hopes to visit for Red-White game

Citing Nebraska's football tradition as a selling point, the father of ex-Miami quarterback Robert Marve confirmed Thursday his son does have the Huskers on his short list as he ponders where he might transfer.

"Nebraska is great football country with great football tradition, and we're honored with the interest that they've put forward towards Robert," Eugene Marve said. "I've talked personally to the coaches there and am really impressed with the no-nonsense approach to football that they take there. That's why we're interested, it's Nebraska football."

Coming off a redshirt season at Miami in which he started 11 games and was suspended from two, Robert Marve is also considering Michigan, Purdue, Texas Tech, UCLA and South Florida, located in the family's hometown of Tampa.

Eugene Marve said his son has not visited Lincoln but is hopeful of coming for the spring game on April 18. The father said he talked with offensive coordinator Shawn Watson on Monday.

"We want a team that will appear to give Robert a fair shot at the quarterback position, meaning that we want the competition to be open and fair, not (against) like a three- or four-year starter ... because that's not a real open competition," Eugene Marve said.

"And Robert wants a program that's on the verge. He's not starting as a freshman anymore. We don't mind rebuilding anything, but he wants to be on a team that's on the verge of winning a conference championship or a player or two away. ... And after examining at all the factors, we see that Nebraska's right there."

Robert would have to sit out the 2009 season. He'd have two seasons remaining. Often labeled a pro-style quarterback, he threw for 1,293 yards, nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions while splitting time with true freshman Jacory Harris last year.

He was suspended for the team's opener and also the bowl game. The first suspension stemmed from an arrest for smashing a car window during his redshirt season. Eugene Marve said the second suspension was because his son missed some classes.

The suspensions are not the reason for the transfer, according to the father.

"What the public didn't see was the nonrelationship, nonrespect that had existed between Coach (Randy) Shannon and Robert," he said. "It had deteriorated where it was in Robert's best interest to transfer out."

The father said he believes Harris was UM's top choice and "the writing was on the wall that the competition wasn't there anymore."

As for the timetable, Eugene Marve guessed a decision would come by April or May.

"We're praying about it," he said. "We want to be where God wants to put us."

Link: LJS

He was suspended for the team's opener and also the bowl game. The first suspension stemmed from an arrest for smashing a car window during his redshirt season. Eugene Marve said the second suspension was because his son missed some classes.

I'm willing to keep an open mind as there are more than a few issues with the program at Miami, but the suspensions don't look too good.