signingday2010.png

Player: Walker Ashburn

Hometown: River Ridge, LA

Position: DE

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 245 lbs.

40 time: 4.75

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, McNeese State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SE Louisiana, SMU, Southern Miss, Stanford, Toledo

Favorites: LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Stanford, SMU, Southern Miss, Virginia

COMMITTED TO NEBRASKA

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

Yahoo has an article posted on his thoughts about Nebraska: "We have a guy from Curtis up there and I talk to him and he says it’s not as bad as people say. He says it’s not just cornfields."

Sounds like he's at least giving Nebraska a chance. Maybe he should ask Tennessee and LSU if he's #2 on their list, why haven't they offered.

Yahoo has an article posted on his thoughts about Nebraska: "We have a guy from Curtis up there and I talk to him and he says it’s not as bad as people say. He says it’s not just cornfields."

Sounds like he's at least giving Nebraska a chance. Maybe he should ask Tennessee and LSU if he's #2 on their list, why haven't they offered.

Ya, sounds like LSU and Tenn may be stringing him along a little.

From the rivals article it sounds like he is interested and that Bo's experience at LSU could help us.

Most kids in that state are LSU's to lose. If we really want him we probably gotta hope LSU doesn't offer or REALLY slow-plays him.

jesus is that what all pople think of Nebraska is corn?

yes

Seriously, to most people on the coasts or in the south, this is what Nebraska means.

I'm okay with being thought of as only cornfields. What really irks me is that people actually think the plains are still populated by mostly Indians. WTF

yes

Seriously, to most people on the coasts or in the south, this is what Nebraska means.

I'm okay with being thought of as only cornfields. What really irks me is that people actually think the plains are still populated by mostly Indians. WTF

I live in NY currently and I have to tell you that I have yet to hear that one.

yes

When my cousin 1st turned 21 she went to vegas (2 years ago) and someone she met there asked if she road cows to school during high school.

When my cousin 1st turned 21 she went to vegas (2 years ago) and someone she met there asked if she road cows to school during high school.

Thats when I would've said, "Yes I ride cows to school. Heres my number for your mom, I forgot to give it to her last week when she dropped me off to school."

:snacks:

Appears he'd jump if LSU offers but I think he'll really have to impress. While LSU has room in their class they also have quite a few offers out there to uncommitted guys.

I will say this, the people from Louisiana talk like hicks, I live here now and they really do.. Also, flat, is Louisiana, this is place is so flat its not funny... The cornfields might be flat, but Louisiana is flat everywhere............

I will say this, the people from Louisiana talk like hicks, I live here now and they really do.. Also, flat, is Louisiana, this is place is so flat its not funny... The cornfields might be flat, but Louisiana is flat everywhere............

Ummm, ok?

So does anybody know if Ashburn is high on our board?

Ashburn Feels Good About LSU Camp...Walker Ashburn put his skills on display at LSU Sunday and Monday. I bet LSU will offer him and he'll commit. Judging from the way recruiting has been going for us, I wouldn't be surprised.

I've said this before and I'm stickin to it, kids that we offer out of Louisiana are almost guarenteed to not come here if LSU offers. The only way we are going to get them to commit is if they just simply don't offer or if they reeally slow play them. I'm still not sold that we would be Carter's favorite for long if LSU did offer. I hope I'm wrong.

Ya, he's LSU's to lose. But since they know that I'm not so sure he gets a committable offer at this point. If their next DE-commit is the last I think they'll string Ashburn along some like they did Bennie Logan.

supposedly committed last night

Where are you hearing this?

Curtis DE Walker Ashburn commits to Nebraska

by Mike Strom, The Times Picayune

Monday September 07, 2009, 9:18 PM

Labor Day represented a rare, in-season Monday off for the John Curtis football team, but not for Patriots defensive end Walker Ashburn.

Ashburn used the final holiday of summer that coincided with an open date on the Curtis schedule to reach closure on a college destination with a verbal commitment to Nebraska.

Ashburn delivered his pledge to Nebraska Coach Bo Pelini via telephone Monday afternoon at a time when the Patriots, who began pursuit of a sixth consecutive state championship Friday with a 35-7 victory at Mandeville, normally would be practicing. He revealed his decision later in the evening.

“I decided to commit to Nebraska,’’ Ashburn said. “It has always been known as a good school and a good football program. Coach Pelini being there was something that attracted me. And I have a friend (and ex-teammate), P.J. Smith, who goes there. He told me how nice it was there. Everything I’ve heard is that it is a real nice place and that they treat you nice.’’

Ashburn, 6-feet-3, 250 pounds, with 4.75 speed in the 40, is Nebraska’s seventh commitment for 2010. Pelini, LSU defensive coordinator from 2005-07, and Nebraska coaches project him as an end in their 4-3 scheme, a position similar to the end position he plays in Curtis’ 5-2 set. Nebraska was the first school to offer Ashburn back in March.

Ashburn said he chose Nebraska from a list of finalists that included Oklahoma State, Stanford, Southern Methodist and Southern Mississippi. He also official offers from Toledo and state schools ULL, ULM, McNeese State and Southeastern Louisiana.

A three-year starter, Ashburn is rated among Louisiana’s top 40 senior prospects at No. 36 by Rivals.com. He bench presses 355 pounds, squats 520, power cleans 315 and was a first-team Class 2A All-State selection as a junior.

“I just want to try to build a championship team (there) just like we have at Curtis,’’ Ashburn said. “I don’t want to be known as someone who couldn’t get it done.’’

Ashburn is fully qualified academically with a 3.6 grade-point-average and a 19 on the ACT that he scored as a sophomore. He said he plans to take the test again.

“I had been giving it a lot of thought,’’ Ashburn said of his college choice. “I wanted to use this weekend to see how each of the teams performed. Now (committing) is something that I don’t have to be concerned about any more. I want to try to help us win another state championship and try to excel in the classroom.’’

Ashburn is the second Curtis player in two years to choose Nebraska. Smith, a redshirt freshman who is listed as the No. 2 strong safety, was a member of Pelini’s first recruiting class at Nebraska in February 2008.

“I think Walker wants to get focused on what we wants to do this year,’’ Curtis Coach J.T. Curtis said. “He is a fast defensive lineman, a guy that can really run. He’s a great pass rusher. He has great upper body strength. When you look at him you never guess that he’s 250. He’s probably going to be one of those guys who probably peak out at 275 (pounds) and he’ll be a great rush end.’’

Ashburn recorded 90 tackles with 12 sacks and three forced fumbles as a junior while helping Curtis win a fifth consecutive state championship and the 23rd in school history with a 35-21 victory against Evangel. A three-year starter, Ashburn was chosen Most Valuable Player in Curtis’ 2007 state championship game, a 28-13 victory against St. James.

Continuing Bo's policy of recruiting champions, I see. Curtis is going for their sixth consecutive state championship. Not bad.

Welcome aborad Walker !!!!!!

Walker to be honest i dont know too much about you... but a friend of BO is a friend of mine and you're epic... brah you look gnarly and though i dont know too much about you your my new best friend.. now call up your boy curtis and tell him to get on the NEBRASKA bandwagon...!!!

JHEAHHHH!!!

i am glad that the staff is getting on it with recruiting....... i am glad that things are working out so far and we are picking up the pieces... while i dont think this class is gonna be the greatest (in terms of being top 25) i think its gonna lay a solid foundation for future husker success which will be critical for us to take that next step next year both in recruiting (come on aaron and other kid from florida... forget your name..sorry excited right now) and on the field....

i am glad that the staff is getting on it with recruiting....... i am glad that things are working out so far and we are picking up the pieces... while i dont think this class is gonna be the greatest (in terms of being top 25) i think its gonna lay a solid foundation for future husker success which will be critical for us to take that next step next year both in recruiting (come on aaron and other kid from florida... forget your name..sorry excited right now) and on the field....

Tyler Moore. Remember that name. A kid of his caliber out of FL, is gonna be HUGE. And come on, state of Florida. You've got to make up Harrison Beck to us. Now's your chance!

Tyler Moore. Remember that name. A kid of his caliber out of FL, is gonna be HUGE. And come on, state of Florida. You've got to make up Harrison Beck to us. Now's your chance!

Maybe Harrison was reverse Karma for getting Tommie Frazier?

Scout: The name isn’t one that Nebraska fans would have picked to be the next commitment, but that’s not because Walker Ashburn isn’t a coveted prospect. Ashburn was continuing to pick up offer after offer until it seemed to just reach a point for him according to Coach J.T. Curtis. The commitment might have come yesterday, to Nebraska, but has been in the works for days.

Scout: The name isn’t one that Nebraska fans would have picked to be the next commitment, but that’s not because Walker Ashburn isn’t a coveted prospect. Ashburn was continuing to pick up offer after offer until it seemed to just reach a point for him according to Coach J.T. Curtis. The commitment might have come yesterday, to Nebraska, but has been in the works for days.

Awesome, he is also the teamate of Joe McKnight's (USC's "Next Reggie Bush") younger brother who is a solid prospect we have offered. Wonder if we'll get another look now?

It is good when ties like Smith help pay off. I'm thinking the groundwork the staff laid last year at some of the better high school programs around the country will pay more dividends this year and down the road.

Welcome future blackshirt!!

:bonez:bonez:bonez

imho, i dnt see this guy staying, idk why.. just my gut feeling, i hope he does, but for some reason i dont. i hope im wrong

Gut feelings without any other info are usually pretty worthless, especially since you probably don't know anything about Walker. Now whether he will sign or not, I really don't know; but I know many had similar gut feelings about Dijon Washington and David Whitmore.

imho, i dnt see this guy staying, idk why.. just my gut feeling, i hope he does, but for some reason i dont. i hope im wrong

Yes, thank you for that wonderful insight. A real fine addition to the conversation. Speaking of gut feelings, how does the 2012 election seem to you?