SIGNED DE Walker Ashburn

I will say this, the people from Louisiana talk like hicks, I live here now and they really do.. Also, flat, is Louisiana, this is place is so flat its not funny... The cornfields might be flat, but Louisiana is flat everywhere............

I will say this, the people from Louisiana talk like hicks, I live here now and they really do.. Also, flat, is Louisiana, this is place is so flat its not funny... The cornfields might be flat, but Louisiana is flat everywhere............

Ummm, ok?

So does anybody know if Ashburn is high on our board?

I've said this before and I'm stickin to it, kids that we offer out of Louisiana are almost guarenteed to not come here if LSU offers. The only way we are going to get them to commit is if they just simply don't offer or if they reeally slow play them. I'm still not sold that we would be Carter's favorite for long if LSU did offer. I hope I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

supposedly committed last night

Where are you hearing this?

Curtis DE Walker Ashburn commits to Nebraska

by Mike Strom, The Times Picayune

Monday September 07, 2009, 9:18 PM

Labor Day represented a rare, in-season Monday off for the John Curtis football team, but not for Patriots defensive end Walker Ashburn.

Ashburn used the final holiday of summer that coincided with an open date on the Curtis schedule to reach closure on a college destination with a verbal commitment to Nebraska.

Ashburn delivered his pledge to Nebraska Coach Bo Pelini via telephone Monday afternoon at a time when the Patriots, who began pursuit of a sixth consecutive state championship Friday with a 35-7 victory at Mandeville, normally would be practicing. He revealed his decision later in the evening.

“I decided to commit to Nebraska,’’ Ashburn said. “It has always been known as a good school and a good football program. Coach Pelini being there was something that attracted me. And I have a friend (and ex-teammate), P.J. Smith, who goes there. He told me how nice it was there. Everything I’ve heard is that it is a real nice place and that they treat you nice.’’

Ashburn, 6-feet-3, 250 pounds, with 4.75 speed in the 40, is Nebraska’s seventh commitment for 2010. Pelini, LSU defensive coordinator from 2005-07, and Nebraska coaches project him as an end in their 4-3 scheme, a position similar to the end position he plays in Curtis’ 5-2 set. Nebraska was the first school to offer Ashburn back in March.

Ashburn said he chose Nebraska from a list of finalists that included Oklahoma State, Stanford, Southern Methodist and Southern Mississippi. He also official offers from Toledo and state schools ULL, ULM, McNeese State and Southeastern Louisiana.

A three-year starter, Ashburn is rated among Louisiana’s top 40 senior prospects at No. 36 by Rivals.com. He bench presses 355 pounds, squats 520, power cleans 315 and was a first-team Class 2A All-State selection as a junior.

“I just want to try to build a championship team (there) just like we have at Curtis,’’ Ashburn said. “I don’t want to be known as someone who couldn’t get it done.’’

Ashburn is fully qualified academically with a 3.6 grade-point-average and a 19 on the ACT that he scored as a sophomore. He said he plans to take the test again.

“I had been giving it a lot of thought,’’ Ashburn said of his college choice. “I wanted to use this weekend to see how each of the teams performed. Now (committing) is something that I don’t have to be concerned about any more. I want to try to help us win another state championship and try to excel in the classroom.’’

Ashburn is the second Curtis player in two years to choose Nebraska. Smith, a redshirt freshman who is listed as the No. 2 strong safety, was a member of Pelini’s first recruiting class at Nebraska in February 2008.

“I think Walker wants to get focused on what we wants to do this year,’’ Curtis Coach J.T. Curtis said. “He is a fast defensive lineman, a guy that can really run. He’s a great pass rusher. He has great upper body strength. When you look at him you never guess that he’s 250. He’s probably going to be one of those guys who probably peak out at 275 (pounds) and he’ll be a great rush end.’’

Ashburn recorded 90 tackles with 12 sacks and three forced fumbles as a junior while helping Curtis win a fifth consecutive state championship and the 23rd in school history with a 35-21 victory against Evangel. A three-year starter, Ashburn was chosen Most Valuable Player in Curtis’ 2007 state championship game, a 28-13 victory against St. James.

Welcome aborad Walker !!!!!!

Walker to be honest i dont know too much about you... but a friend of BO is a friend of mine and you're epic... brah you look gnarly and though i dont know too much about you your my new best friend.. now call up your boy curtis and tell him to get on the NEBRASKA bandwagon...!!!

JHEAHHHH!!!