DT Ricky Heimuli

I'll say that this is 1 rivals 100 guy I really dont want to land. I've heard that he wants to play his freshmen year & then go on a mission (he's mormon I think). Theres nothing wrong with that, but I want our staff to recruit guys whos #1 priority (besides school) is to play football for Nebraska

I disagree. I would love for every player on our team to have God as their #1 priority.

I'll say that this is 1 rivals 100 guy I really dont want to land. I've heard that he wants to play his freshmen year & then go on a mission (he's mormon I think). Theres nothing wrong with that, but I want our staff to recruit guys whos #1 priority (besides school) is to play football for Nebraska

I disagree. I would love for every player on our team to have God as their #1 priority.

Dont want mormons though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sarcasm

just kidding

If it hurts the team then no I don't. I want quality citizens on the team and you don't have to believe in God to be one of those.

If it hurts the team then no I don't. I want quality citizens on the team and you don't have to believe in God to be one of those.

You are right and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. However, I personally want quality citizens as well, but I want them to have personal relationships with God before anything else. :)

being religious or putting god first in no way hurts the team. for that matter, taking a mission isn't that bad either. assuming the kid stays in shape while he's gone, it gives him a couple of extra years to mature and fill out.

i don't, but that's not a discussion for this forum.

You are right and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. However, I personally want quality citizens as well, but I want them to have personal relationships with God before anything else. :)

Well that is your point of view, but not one I will share. I don't care what religion a person is or is not, a religion choice doesn't necessarily define a person. I just want quality individuals who believe in being quality on and off of the field regardless of their religion choice.

being religious or putting god first in no way hurts the team. for that matter, taking a mission isn't that bad either. assuming the kid stays in shape while he's gone, it gives him a couple of extra years to mature and fill out.

So taking a year off from a College Strength and Conditioning program isn't going to hurt him at all? He may be able to work out, but not being in the program under supervision and dedicated nutrition tracking has to hurt him a bit IMO.

he will still have the same overall number of years spent in our program, and assuming he takes his mission after the first year, he will still have four straight years in our S&C program, as an older player. would you rather have a 24 year old DT or a 22 year old DT?

Yeah but he won't be a factor either his first year or the year after he gets back since he will have been out of the program for a full year, you lose 2 of the 5 years of eligibility.

He will also be able to switch colleges after his mission too. Since he will sit out for a year during his mission he will be able to go through recruitment again. Manti T'eo (sp?) the ND linebacker will be able to be recruited again after he does his mission next year.

Another reason why I am not a big fan. If a player is a great talent and wants to do this then I think you take him, but if you have equal options that want to come on board also I think you stay away IMO. NU seems pretty set at DT right now, need a DE more at this stage.