DT Ricky Heimuli

he will still have the same overall number of years spent in our program, and assuming he takes his mission after the first year, he will still have four straight years in our S&C program, as an older player. would you rather have a 24 year old DT or a 22 year old DT?

Yeah but he won't be a factor either his first year or the year after he gets back since he will have been out of the program for a full year, you lose 2 of the 5 years of eligibility.

He will also be able to switch colleges after his mission too. Since he will sit out for a year during his mission he will be able to go through recruitment again. Manti T'eo (sp?) the ND linebacker will be able to be recruited again after he does his mission next year.

Another reason why I am not a big fan. If a player is a great talent and wants to do this then I think you take him, but if you have equal options that want to come on board also I think you stay away IMO. NU seems pretty set at DT right now, need a DE more at this stage.

if you're assuming no first year player is a factor, then you expect to lose only one year of contribution as opposed to a high school recruit, and is basically the equivalent of a 4 to play 3 juco recruit. i agree that if you can get the same caliber player without the mission, go for it, but i wouldn't write anyone off solely because of it, particularly talented players at a position of need (and good DT's are always in need).

maybe the kid doesn't take the mission. maybe if he doesn't impress in his first year, you encourage him to look elsewhere after his mission.

My only question is why doesn't he do his mission before going to college? I know other players in the past have done that. It just makes more sense to me.

I think they have to be a certain age to go on the mission so it might work for some depending on when they started school, got held back, etc. And they still aren't tied to the school. And the other thing that could happen if he enrolls before doing the mission is he decides not to go on his mission. This has happened to some players in the past.

My only question is why doesn't he do his mission before going to college? I know other players in the past have done that. It just makes more sense to me.

I think they have to be a certain age to go on the mission so it might work for some depending on when they started school, got held back, etc. And they still aren't tied to the school. And the other thing that could happen if he enrolls before doing the mission is he decides not to go on his mission. This has happened to some players in the past.

Mission is 2 years sometime between the age of 19-25, most choose to go after their freshman year. Nate Longshore of Cal dropped USC because Carroll wouldn't promise him that his scholarship would be there after he went on mission. So he went to Cal, and never went on his mission anyway. Many times it's a huge deal when LDS members decide to go away from BYU, lots of pressure from the church and community.

• 1 month later...

Brighton (Salt Lake City, Utah) defensive lineman Ricky Heimuli has taken official visits to Oregon and Oregon State and has two more visits planned over the next two weeks.

"I'm going on my third official visit to UCLA this weekend," Heimuli told Justin Hopkins from Duckterritory.com. "I might go on my fourth official visit next weekend to Washington, but I'm not 100 percent certain on that.

"I'm not sure where I will take my fifth visit to at this point, but I'm pretty certain I will in fact take a 5th visit. I just don't know where yet. I honestly don't have any favorites right now and I'm still doing my homework on all these schools. I'll probably narrow my list down by the end of this month."

Along with the four Pac 10 schools mentioned, Heimuli also has a high interest in the two in-state schools, BYU and Utah. USC is another school the lineman has talked up in the past and Heimuli camped with the Trojans last summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Defensive lineman Ricky Heimuli (Salt Lake City, Utah/Brighton) has played things pretty close to the vest this year in regards to his recruitment. With four trips down and one more to go, the talented tackle said he'll wait until signing day before making his decision...Heimuli took in-season official visits to Oregon and Oregon State, checked out UCLA two weeks ago and visited Utah this past weekend. Heimuli has an official scheduled for Washington this weekend.

Ricky Heimuli, passed over by BYU, has the Utes on his final list along with UCLA, Oregon and Washington.

He visited Washington over the weekend and said on Sunday he will discuss the schools with his family then announce his decision at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. He said that his final choices were equal in his mind.

"I have a lot of thinking to do," he said.