OT Brandon Scherff

Player: Brandon Scherff

Hometown: Denison IA

Position: OT

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 260 lbs.

40 time:

Visit Date: 2/7 (unofficial for junior day)

Scholarships offered: Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri

Favorites: Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star :star :star 5.7 #41 OT

Scout: :star :star :star #33 OT

ESPN: NR

Assessing the talent: One of the top 2 or 3 prospects in the state of Iowa, this big QB will make a very athletic line man.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 25% Iowa leads with IUS and Nebraska tied for second according to Rivals

BRANDONSHERFF1_30200.JPG

Offered Brandon Scherff according to ESPN's midwest blogger:

Defensive end Matt Hoch (Harlan, Iowa) and offensive lineman Brandon Scherff (Denison, Iowa) are two of the top prospects in the state of Iowa. The two may be selecting their college from the same group of schools.

The 6-foot-5 and 285-pound Scherff began his junior season playing quarterback for Denison. He then moved to tight end and also started at defensive end the last half of the season.

Scherff caught 11 passes and scored four times. He made 38 tackles including six sacks. However, Scherff is being recruited as an offensive lineman. He has scholarship offers from Iowa, Iowa State and Nebraska.

"I have those offers in writing," Scherff said. "Missouri told me over the phone I have an offer, but I haven't received it in the mail yet."

Scherff said the top three schools on his list at this point are the three that have offered in writing, but he does not have a favorite.

"I would like to pick a college before the football season starts," Scherff said. "It will probably be somewhere around the beginning of the season."

Apparently offered Brandon Scherff according to ESPN's midwest blogger:

Defensive end Matt Hoch (Harlan, Iowa) and offensive lineman Brandon Scherff (Denison, Iowa) are two of the top prospects in the state of Iowa. The two may be selecting their college from the same group of schools.

The 6-foot-5 and 285-pound Scherff began his junior season playing quarterback for Denison.

***SNIP***

Quarterback? Seriously...quarterback????

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone seen this guy play? 6'5" and over 270 means a lot of kid to coach up if the other skills are there. Would dearly love to PO Iowa State East by stealing this one. Scout has him listed as a 1*; Rivals has him unrated, but holding offers from ISU, ISU East and Missouri.

Supposedly one of the top players in Iowa. Offered shortly after Nebraska's Junior day. ISU fan supposedly, but Iowa and Nebraska are top 2?

Oh and moving to 2010 forum.

Just wanted to say thanks Pete for all your work on these threads. You and street novelist, Big Willie when it gets to prime time season. It's got to feel like a chore sometimes, but here's a Husker fan that appreciates it.

I'm sorry, I would love to be a paying member on HI, or one of the pay sites, but personally it goes against my principles in pimping these kids words on updates. Don't mean to offend those that pay, it's just me. Yes I follow recruiting, but I drew the line when ToughTonyDavis.com switched from a free recruiting update site to HI/Rivals/Yahoo pay site. I won't feed the beast.

Apparently offered Brandon Scherff according to ESPN's midwest blogger:

The 6-foot-5 and 285-pound Scherff began his junior season playing quarterback for Denison.

***SNIP***

Quarterback? Seriously...quarterback????

jared larenzon ring a bell?

Anyone seen this guy play? 6'5" and over 270 means a lot of kid to coach up if the other skills are there. Would dearly love to PO Iowa State East by stealing this one. Scout has him listed as a 1*; Rivals has him unrated, but holding offers from ISU, ISU East and Missouri.

Supposedly one of the top players in Iowa. Offered shortly after Nebraska's Junior day. ISU fan supposedly, but Iowa and Nebraska are top 2?

Oh and moving to 2010 forum.

Thanks for moving this, Pete. Kinda sorta looked for it but couldn't find his thread. Bet that "Search" thingy woulda helped. :bang

I play with this guy... he goes to my high school. Solid prospect with good size, strong as an ox, and yeah, he played QB up until this year. Had a cannnon for an arm but never took anything off any passes, so he moved to hybrid TE/Goal line OT. Sometimes in practice, feigns an injury... likes the attention. Has pretty ridiculous speed for somebody his size... burns some 180-200 lb. skill position guys in practice. Good hands... excellent Bball player also. And yeah, he is a big ISU fans like alot of the kids around here. Can't figure out why... they are AWFUL! I'll keep workin him to get N. In my mind, he'd play early at ISU, but lose ALOT. At Nebraska, he'd get the chance to be part of somethin really special... B12 champs anybody? BCS? MNC? GBR!

• 3 weeks later...
Iowa star to attend first spring game

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 | Print Entry

Posted by Bill Kurelic

Offensive lineman Brandon Scherff (Denison, Iowa/Denison) will attend his first and likely only spring game on Saturday. Scherff will head to Nebraska for the Cornhuskers' spring contest.

The 6-foot-5 and 285-pound Scherff is one of the top five prospects in the state of Iowa. He has scholarship offers from Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State and Missouri.

"I think I'm looking at Iowa, Iowa State and Missouri the most right now," Scherff said. "I wouldn't say I have a favorite."

Scherff also says he does not plan to commit to any of his top three schools in the near future. He has attended a game at Iowa State, but has never seen either the Hawkeyes or Cornhuskers play in person.

"I've haven't been to a game at Iowa or Nebraska," he said. "I want to do that before I decide. I think I'll (select a college) shortly after I do that."

Scherff played quarterback his sophomore season and the first five games of his junior season. He then moved to tight end and also played defensive end. Scherff caught 11 passes and had four touchdowns. He made 38 tackles including six sacks.

Scherff is being recruited as an offensive lineman.

• 3 weeks later...

From Husker Journal:

MAY 9, 2009. PREP STAR

BRANDON SCHERFF, OL, 6-5, 300, 5, DENISON, IOWA

Brandon has offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas

Nebraska Spring Game

“I went to the Nebraska spring game I had fun there. It was amazing how many people showed up for a spring game.” Scherff said

“I was there (Nebraska) before last February or March,” says Scherff, “It was pretty amazing to see all the facilities. I met Barney Cotton he is a real nice guy. I just got along with him like I did with the other coaches.”

“I’ve been to Iowa State before for a game,” Scherff said, “That’s the only college I’ve been to see games but compared to Nebraska spring game there were a lot more people there.”

"I like Iowa A Lot"

“I like Iowa a lot they didn’t have a spring game because they were putting down new turf on the field. I like the coaches there (Iowa) I get along with them pretty well.”

Trip To Kansas

“I might take a trip to Kansas this summer,” says Scherff, “They just offered not too long ago. Kansas coaches said they liked what they saw on tape and wanted to offer. I was surprised to get an offer from them. I don’t know much about them just go down there and see.”

Stay In The Midwest

“I hear from Iowa and Iowa State the most,” Scherff said, “I just want to stay in the midwest somewhere. I would consider Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri. I’ll probably take all five visits during the football season then I will decide from there. I’m pretty much looking at academics, how I can get along with the coaches and players.”

“Last year I played quarterback for the first four or five games then I was moved to tight end and defensive end. College recruiters want me as an offensive lineman I’ve never played that position before.” Scherff added