SIGNED RB Braylon Heard

YEEEEES! Huge addition! Will he be here by spring ball?

assuming everything checks out with admissions and the clearinghouse, he should be good to go. will enroll at the semester and go through spring practice, which is obviously huge. having him up to speed by august keeps us from having to rush green too much at the start of the season and presumably gives us three good backs for our murderous big 10 slate.

I already posted this in another Heard thread, but I didn't realize it wasn't the official one:

Well here's the deal. It's obviously looking good because Braylon got an 18, BUT... he needs a 71 cumulative. If you take 71 divided by 4 (the number of sections on the ACT), that is equal to 17.75, which is rounded up to 18. The problem is, a 17.5 is also rounded up to an 18, and a 17.5 is only a cumulative score of 70, leaving him one point short.

Basically, Braylon may have gotten a 70, 71, 72, or 73 cumulative score based on him telling us that he scored an 18. As long as he didn't get a 70, he will make it in. So basically think of it as a 75% chance that Braylon is N!

I already posted this in another Heard thread, but I didn't realize it wasn't the official one:

Well here's the deal. It's obviously looking good because Braylon got an 18, BUT... he needs a 71 cumulative. If you take 71 divided by 4 (the number of sections on the ACT), that is equal to 17.75, which is rounded up to 18. The problem is, a 17.5 is also rounded up to an 18, and a 17.5 is only a cumulative score of 70, leaving him one point short.

Basically, Braylon may have gotten a 70, 71, 72, or 73 cumulative score based on him telling us that he scored an 18. As long as he didn't get a 70, he will make it in. So basically think of it as a 75% chance that Braylon is N!

And even at that, if he got a 70, lets say he did better by one point on another date in a particular section, they would take that score and he would have a 71. It's a cumlative score across all areas and all tests.

With that said, just because Braylon got the score, doesn't mean he will make it in time for the Spring semester. Both the UNL Admissions and I beleive the NCAA Eligibility Center are closed this week, meaning that the paperwork he needs all has to be delivered and accepted in just 5 business days next week.

We've seen the UNL Admissions office have their issues before, we had Kavario Middleton that wanted to transfer to us last fall, but it was so close to the start of school that he couldn't make it through our admissions office, we had the Roburt Sallie saga.

Don't count your chickens until their hatched

And even at that, if he got a 70, lets say he did better by one point on another date in a particular section, they would take that score and he would have a 71. It's a cumlative score across all areas and all tests.

With that said, just because Braylon got the score, doesn't mean he will make it in time for the Spring semester. Both the UNL Admissions and I beleive the NCAA Eligibility Center are closed this week, meaning that the paperwork he needs all has to be delivered and accepted in just 5 business days next week.

We've seen the UNL Admissions office have their issues before, we had Kavario Middleton that wanted to transfer to us last fall, but it was so close to the start of school that he couldn't make it through our admissions office, we had the Roburt Sallie saga.

Don't count your chickens until their hatched

Very true. Still a relief to know that he'll be here at least by summer.

If this paperwork doesn't get in in time for him to make it during the spring, I say we fire everybody in the admissions office.

Count the chickens, they just hatched. It appears he'll be here for winter workouts.

"I-back Braylon Heard said he has gotten the ACT score he needed and will be heading to Lincoln in a few weeks to become a Husker."

LINK

In the same article...

“I’ve just got to fill out the paperwork and I’m good,” Heard said.

This is by no means a done deal, the NCAA is not known for their speed in clearing players once they get the scores, and UNL's admissions department has caused problems in the past.

Not to sound like a jerk but getting papers in order (such as crazy transcripts from weird schools and classes taken on the interweb) are what the NCAA and really all colleges as well have a hard time with. Not ACT scores.

In theory, yes. But considering UNL's admissions department is closed for the remainder of this week, and many of the NCAA staffers are on vacation (most NCAA websites have been taken down for upgrades this week, including their eligibility website), we will be lucky to get him cleared in what is basically 5 business days.

Well, UNL might be closed to the general student/public but probably not to the coaching staff and profs, if they need something done. I don't know that for a fact but its just a guess. I mean, my school is closed right now but if I did need to go there and get something done, even if it was the admission of a new students, I could go an do it.

The NCAA part on the other hand, sure that could take longer.

• 2 weeks later...