SIGNED RB Braylon Heard

Our cupboard is basically bare after Tray, Roy, and Rex. Braylon would have brought an entirely different dimension to our ground attack. The more I watch his tape the more he reminds me of LP.

That is who came to my mind as well when I first seen his film. Hopefully, everything gets worked out so we can watch him carry the ball for Huskers if not this year then next year. This year would be huge though after what we experienced last year.

Life in the Red blog says they are going to ask Pelini about Braylon. Hopefully he can confirm that he will be on campus.

Where are you guys seeing the likeness to LP? I see Braylon's speed, vision, quickness, moves, etc. but when I think of LP, I remember that he had considerable upper body strength. Unless, I'm mis-remembering.

Our cupboard is basically bare after Tray, Roy, and Rex. Braylon would have brought an entirely different dimension to our ground attack. The more I watch his tape the more he reminds me of LP.

Not sure where he'll line up this year (RB/CB) - but I was really hoping for big things from Mendoza after 2008. I kind of think he got caught up in the log jam that was RB last spring (pre-Castile dismissal). It's unfortunate he switched to WR for part of last year because I think he could have been good. Then again most of what I was impressed with was in 08' against K-State...so his big game happened to be during a game we had 300+ rushing yards...I prolly could have put up 50, maybe 100 if I didn't winded after the first couple carries. (alright, maybe 5-10 but who's counting)

Not sure where he'll line up this year (RB/CB) - but I was really hoping for big things from Mendoza after 2008. I kind of think he got caught up in the log jam that was RB last spring (pre-Castile dismissal). It's unfortunate he switched to WR for part of last year because I think he could have been good. Then again most of what I was impressed with was in 08' against K-State...so his big game happened to be during a game we had 300+ rushing yards...I prolly could have put up 50, maybe 100 if I didn't winded after the first couple carries. (alright, maybe 5-10 but who's counting)

i seriously doubt they'll move mendoza again. he's a corner.

I don't know which I'd prefer, honestly. If he misses fall camp he'll be way behind on conditioning and more importantly the playbook, which is challenging enough in itself. Seems to me it would be unlikely that he'd contribute his freshman year anyway, or if he did it would be very late in the season and only then in a remote reserve capacity.

However after watching eight minutes of highlights, it's pretty clear we don't have a running back with his speed or to-the-house threat. High school highlights aren't a great indication of where a player will fall on the spectrum, but damn, it's hard to say NO to that kind of playmaker, however unlikely major contribution might be. Not with how our injury situation went last season.

Guess it wouldn't be that big a deal if he got here in Jan, as he was likely to red shirt anyway.

He was going to get carries this fall. Its sad that he wont be here.

Even with a healthy Helu, Burkhead and Robinson?

Yes. He is a completely different back than the three of them.

Sorry for the delay. I've been away for a while.

Anyway, i agree he is a different back but with those three others in the mix, how many carries would he likely see a game? Maybe four to five? Is it worth burning a red shirt for a handful of carries?

Guess it wouldn't be that big a deal if he got here in Jan, as he was likely to red shirt anyway.

He was going to get carries this fall. Its sad that he wont be here.

Even with a healthy Helu, Burkhead and Robinson?

Yes. He is a completely different back than the three of them.

Sorry for the delay. I've been away for a while.

Anyway, i agree he is a different back but with those three others in the mix, how many carries would he likely see a game? Maybe four to five? Is it worth burning a red shirt for a handful of carries?

Him and Niles Paul would have made a great Kick Return tandum as well. He would have got to touch the ball quite a bit. Not saying he would have been a HUGE part of our offense. But he would have been a part of it.

I don't know which I'd prefer, honestly. If he misses fall camp he'll be way behind on conditioning and more importantly the playbook, which is challenging enough in itself. Seems to me it would be unlikely that he'd contribute his freshman year anyway, or if he did it would be very late in the season and only then in a remote reserve capacity.

However after watching eight minutes of highlights, it's pretty clear we don't have a running back with his speed or to-the-house threat. High school highlights aren't a great indication of where a player will fall on the spectrum, but damn, it's hard to say NO to that kind of playmaker, however unlikely major contribution might be. Not with how our injury situation went last season.

JMO- If he shows up in August, I think it would be best that he redshirts. If he would have gotten here for fall camp he would have played, contributing early and often.

Yeah, if he hits campus sometime this year he definitely redshirts. I have my doubts that Heard gets PT even if he'd made grades and was at NU already. There are a couple of pretty good ones ahead of him.