SIGNED RB Braylon Heard

Can we at least sort of pretend like we care that this is COLLEGE football and let this one go now? He seems to be a talented RB but he had a whole year to get it together and couldn't. If he actually earns his way onto campus and is cleared by the NCAA then great but it has reached silly and then some.I'm sorry but college isn't that hard to get into. If he couldn't get it in a year I question his work ethic and dedication. Don't give me the poor test taker garbage. He could over come that in a year+ and the world doesn't care. As someone that teaches on a University campus I really don't appreciate the athletic dept making us fix their messes so they can exploit these kids for $. Let's keep the student in STUDENT athlete.

The biggest problem I think is his GPA. We wouldn't have to worry about all this "sum" stuff if his GPA would have been better and the only reason that was bad is mainly because of his frosh year of high school. He did very poor and the school he was at then let him fall through the cracks. When he got to a school that they actually checked on him at and he started to turn it around he was so deep it was hard for him to pull up the GPA. Also, I would bet money he has some sort of learning disability that hasn't been totally taken care of right. So, before bagging on the kid let's take into consideration not everyone is really smart and may have hurdles in learning. No reason to give up on a kid as long as he is proving he is trying. The coaches know what's going on so i'll put my faith in them on whether or not he is putting forth the effort.

And as I've said before, if he can actually get here he can probably finally get the help he needs and eventually get a degree. Everyone always talks about the academic all americans, but for everyone of those there are hundreds of kids who would have never thought they could get a degree that do and changes there life forever.

I'm sorry CNRed but that doesn't really work. If it was bc/ of a bad freshmen year, then the better schooling he got during soph, junior, and senior years would make him the kind of thinker/ learner that would allow him to get above the bare minimum on the ACT. If that is not the case then the GPA is hollow numbers.

I work with lots of kids that have learning disabilities and multiple hurdles. I can't help but feel there is something else going on here. If he was really trying to prove himself as you say, he could get a better than BARE MINIMUM score in the whole extra year he had to get here.

I agree about your all-americans vs. graduates statement but for every one of those is a student who was brought to campus, whose eligibility was exhausted and deep down the staff knew they probably never really could finish school.

Can we at least sort of pretend like we care that this is COLLEGE football and let this one go now? He seems to be a talented RB but he had a whole year to get it together and couldn't. If he actually earns his way onto campus and is cleared by the NCAA then great but it has reached silly and then some.I'm sorry but college isn't that hard to get into. If he couldn't get it in a year I question his work ethic and dedication. Don't give me the poor test taker garbage. He could over come that in a year+ and the world doesn't care. As someone that teaches on a University campus I really don't appreciate the athletic dept making us fix their messes so they can exploit these kids for $. Let's keep the student in STUDENT athlete.

The biggest problem I think is his GPA. We wouldn't have to worry about all this "sum" stuff if his GPA would have been better and the only reason that was bad is mainly because of his frosh year of high school. He did very poor and the school he was at then let him fall through the cracks. When he got to a school that they actually checked on him at and he started to turn it around he was so deep it was hard for him to pull up the GPA. Also, I would bet money he has some sort of learning disability that hasn't been totally taken care of right. So, before bagging on the kid let's take into consideration not everyone is really smart and may have hurdles in learning. No reason to give up on a kid as long as he is proving he is trying. The coaches know what's going on so i'll put my faith in them on whether or not he is putting forth the effort.

And as I've said before, if he can actually get here he can probably finally get the help he needs and eventually get a degree. Everyone always talks about the academic all americans, but for everyone of those there are hundreds of kids who would have never thought they could get a degree that do and changes there life forever.

I'm sorry CNRed but that doesn't really work. If it was bc/ of a bad freshmen year, then the better schooling he got during soph, junior, and senior years would make him the kind of thinker/ learner that would allow him to get above the bare minimum on the ACT. If that is not the case then the GPA is hollow numbers.

I work with lots of kids that have learning disabilities and multiple hurdles. I can't help but feel there is something else going on here. If he was really trying to prove himself as you say, he could get a better than BARE MINIMUM score in the whole extra year he had to get here.

I agree about your all-americans vs. graduates statement but for every one of those is a student who was brought to campus, whose eligibility was exhausted and deep down the staff knew they probably never really could finish school.

Well even though you think something else might be going on, you, me, nor anyone else on this board actually know what's going on in his life or academics. Really know reason not to give him a chance. If he doesn't get the scores then he doesn't and will have to move on, but if he gets the scores and makes it I say welcome him with conditions that he stays hard on top of his academics! Really doesn't hurt too bad if he can't make it until fall camp which is when most frosh come in anyway. I just don't understand the move on, he's stupid, and not worth the time thing especially coming from a teacher!!

I actually have more respect for this kid trying his damnest to get into the school he committed to more than the ones who commit then decommit and go somewhere else.

Well even though you think something else might be going on, you, me, nor anyone else on this board actually know what's going on in his life or academics. Really know reason not to give him a chance. If he doesn't get the scores then he doesn't and will have to move on, but if he gets the scores and makes it I say welcome him with conditions that he stays hard on top of his academics! Really doesn't hurt too bad if he can't make it until fall camp which is when most frosh come in anyway. I just don't understand the move on, he's stupid, and not worth the time thing especially coming from a teacher!!

I actually have more respect for this kid trying his damnest to get into the school he committed to more than the ones who commit then decommit and go somewhere else.

+1... I and others dont see the need for these ACT/SAT scores, it's a joke. The problem, IMO, is that some parents do not know about this CORE GPA until it's too late for their kid. You think you have a 3.0 GPA then you find out that's not the GPA you check, it's CORE GPA then you race against time to fix it. Some teachers/counselors don't help either, they try and push the kid to JUCO because theirs an incentive for the schools, but a small portion of kids will try to climb that hill like Mr. Heard is trying to do and others. These kids need help to get the American Dream too. I'm gonna get off my soap box, but what really pisses me off is that a criminal/murderer/rapist/etc. can get a better education in prison, but a kid can't get into a good college behind some test not GPA...a test....no child left behind my ass.....what happen to America!

The kid needs to move to Lincoln and go to Southeast Community College. Its easier to get into NU once you've been going to a nebraska school, at least that's my understanding. He'd probably be good to go by now.

It's the NCAA that is the hold up, if Braylon goes juco he'd miss 2 years.

The kid needs to move to Lincoln and go to Southeast Community College. Its easier to get into NU once you've been going to a nebraska school, at least that's my understanding. He'd probably be good to go by now.

It's the NCAA that is the hold up, if Braylon goes juco he'd miss 2 years.

So if it is the NCAA that is the hold up has Braylon Heard committed to being on campus this summer? I don't think Braylon on campus this summer is set in stone. I know many on the board have speculated this, but I don't know that it is confirmed.

You remind me of someone who couldn't play sports! You know the kid that gets pissed when he sees an athlete get ahead when they didnt work for it, and you work kids with learning disabilities and multiple hurdles. What would you suggest Braylon do if this was a kid you worked with?

You remind me of someone who couldn't play sports! You know the kid that gets pissed when he sees an athlete get ahead when they didnt work for it, and you work kids with learning disabilities and multiple hurdles. What would you suggest Braylon do if this was a kid you worked with?

Good God. A concern is being raised, and rightfully so, because the kid had a year to qualify and couldn't do it. That's just a fact. No one here is calling him names or chastising him.

If anyone is presuming anything it's all you people who have canned excuses built in. I've now heard on this board that ACT/SAT means next to nothing, and now that GPA means next to nothing. Okay, then how about first come first serve? First 3000 undergraduate applicants make it in.

Call me crazy, but I bet you don't really get on your 'soap box' concerning the prejudices and inequity of academic qualification until it affects your favorite college football team.

I stayed away from the thread bc/ I knew that some people's fanhood would allow them to justify poor standards.

The truth is, I don't think Braylon is as dumb as you do. I would bet he has obstacles- that's called life. You succeed or you fail (similar to football). I am holding Braylon to a higher performance standard. I have higher expectations than you. You are marginalizing him all so he can play for your favorite football team. Standards and expectations- hmmm, do they do that in football? Seems like Bo does. Also, if I don't know the whole situation how do so many of you know he has a learning disability?

An 18 on the ACT is not a high score. I'm not asking him to be a Rhodes Scholar- just to show the minimum proficiency and college preparedness. That's what the test shows.

HE HAD AN EXTRA YEAR!!!!! Those of you that don't believe people can get higher test scores over time are crazy! So only dumb luck and prayer can help you do better in school? Good luck to you lazy excuse makers!

Since you asked, as a teacher I would tell him:

1. Identify the subjects you need to improve in

2. Make a plan of attack- including a schedule to work on these subjects- kind of like a work out routine.

3. Get someone you know that is good at these things to help you- a tutor, teacher, family member

4. Takle advantage of all of the help resources out there- there are many and they are free!!

5. Get a KAPLAN ACT book and use it to get used to the test format- these do work.

6. Take the practice tests available to you

7. Do the work!! Victims never succeed- don't let the people that make excuses for you shape your self worth. They are marginalizing you with their low expectations.

Anybody that REALLY wants to, can improve academically over a year (notice I said academically to take the silly ass 40 yard dash argument out of this). It takes time and dedication and work. Once again, we are talking about a minimum score. I have no doubts that in pads he is quite impressive but this is COLLEGE!

BTW- I work closely with our disabilities center and they say the biggest mistake teachers make is that we coddle the students with disabilities and hold them to too low of standards. Kind of like some of you.

@ Architect- you're out of line and you miss my point. I wasn't bad at sports but wasn't great either but that is all silly stuff that has nothing to do with this. I am concerned about kids that go to college to play sports that don't have what it takes to succeed in the classroom. It is predatory of an athletic dept to accept and scholarship these athletes.

• Fire 1