WR Robert Woods

Player: Robert Woods

Hometown: Gardena, CA

Position: WR

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 180 lbs.

40 time: 4.43

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Arizona State, California, Colorado, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

Favorites: Arizona State, California, Colorado, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

COMMITTED TO USC

Rivals: :star:star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star:star

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still has 2 slots open for visits, but still time to make up ground.

Woods focusing on track at this point

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Posted by Greg Biggins

While spring practice is kicking off all over southern Calif., one of the top players in the state has yet to pull his cleats out of the closet. Robert Woods (Gardena, Calif./ Serra) is one of the state's top sprinters and is putting all his focus on track for the time being.

Woods is an incredible athlete and arguably the top wide out in the West this year. He's a talented player on the defensive side of the ball as well and said he would like to go the Charles Woodson route and play on both sides of the ball in college.

"Most schools are recruiting me for receiver and that's my favorite position as well," Woods said. "I would really love to play receiver and corner, that would be great because I love both positions, but if I had to choose just one, it would be receiver."

Woods has been lighting up the track this spring and leads one of the state's top programs. He currently has the No. 2 fastest 400-meter dash in the state and anchors the top 4x100 relay team as well.

"Our 4x400 relay team was top in the state too, but we got disqualified at sectionals a few weeks ago," Woods said. "I'm also running the 200, but the 400 is definitely my best event. I like track but when I get to college, I'm just going to be focusing on football."

Woods has already taken a handful of unofficial visits and is hoping to take a few more in the summer.

"I've been to UCLA, USC and Cal so far," Woods said. "I would like to take a few more unofficial visits to some West Coast schools so in the fall, I can take all my official visits to schools outside the region. I'm going to try and get out to Oregon and Stanford if I can and then I'll feel good about my official visits next year.

"I want to take all five and I'm still trying to figure out what schools to check out. I know Tennessee, Oklahoma and Notre Dame are three schools I want to visit for sure. I'm also hoping to hear more from schools like LSU and Florida, they haven't offered yet, but are showing me some interest so hopefully that will pick up.

"The only summer camp I'm going to is the USC Rising Stars Camp. I wanted to do UCLA's camp too but it's the same day as state finals for track so I'll have to miss it. Right now, I'm open to staying in state or leaving. I used to think I wanted to stay close to home, but after traveling around for track and seeing some new places, I'm now more open to leaving if I find the best opportunity for me."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Robert Woods led his Serra team to the Championship at Santa Fe's 7v7 Passing League on Saturday. Playing both ways for double digit games, Woods showed he was not only talented, but gritty as well.

There were 40 teams at Santa Fe's 7v7 passing league on Saturday, and Robert Woods helped lead his Serra team to the Championship after a grueling eight hours of playing iron man football. Woods started at wide receiver and safety and played virtually every snap. An entire spring of running track certainly helped his conditioning as he ran deep route after deep route on Saturday in the 90 degree sun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...