RB Giovanni Bernard

Player: Giovanni Bernard

Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Position: RB

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 198 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Visit Date: 10/23

Scholarships: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Boston College, Connecticut, Florida, Florida International, Florida State, Louisville, Maryland, Miami, Nebraska, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, Tennessee, USF, West Virginia

Favorites: North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oregon State

COMMITTED TO NORTH CAROLINA

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star

Giovanni Bernard told ESPN affiliate Web site OUInsider.com, "My top schools right now, it is probably between Oklahoma, Florida and Florida State. No other school is on top of the other, but those three schools are going to be very close until the end."

Interesting. Well luckily our back situation is pretty solid right now, showcased by the fact that Mendoza switched over to WR.

per Scout: “I have a lot of interest in Alabama, Clemson and Tennessee right now,” Bernard said. “Tennessee is recruiting me very strong.”

...“I definitely have interest in Tennessee,” Bernard said. “Knowing they have some quality backs already there is important. It doesn't bother me at all that Brown is a true freshman there. I want to surround myself with other great players so we can learn and push each other to the next level.”

Bernard impressed by OU and FSU

Monday, May 11, 2009

Posted by JC Shurburtt

It's a loaded year in South Florida for running backs and Giovanni Bernard (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Saint Thomas Aquinas) can make a strong argument for being the best in the region.

He is the top ball-carrier on a loaded team that figures to be among Florida's and the nation's best in 2009. The younger brother of former Oregon State standout Yvenson Bernard (who is currently playing in the Canadian Football League), is 5-foot-9 and 195 pounds. Giovanni is a natural, well-rounded runner with grit and a knack for making yards on his own.

The scholarship offers have poured in. Florida State and Oklahoma dispatched coaches to his high school on the very first day of the spring evaluation period. Miami (Fla.), Alabama, Auburn, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Tennessee, Arkansas, Boston College, Connecticut, Louisville and West Virginia are just some of the programs that have stepped in with a scholarship offer.

Bernard, who averaged 9.5 yards per carry, rushed for 1,371 yards and 16 touchdowns last season. He talked about the Seminoles and said that they would definitely be one of his top schools when he narrows his list down.

"I really liked that they came on the first day that schools can come," Bernard said. "I like that team a lot. It's a really good school, though."

The Noles, however, may not get an official visit. Bernard was clear that nothing was set in stone, but that he would probably reserve his official visits for out-of-state schools.

"I may not take any officials to any of the Florida schools," he said. "But if I don't take official visits to those schools, that does not mean that I am not going there, not at all. I just don't want to use up an official visit on a school that I have been to so many times."

Oklahoma, Miami and Florida are said to be heavily in the mix as well. Obviously the Sooners would get an official visit and the Canes and Gators would not if this holds true.

Spring practice has started at STA and Bernard has taken a leadership role heading into his final season of high school.

"We are working hard to get the new players on offense that transferred in to learn the playbook and get everything down," Bernard said, adding that he has been helping transfer quarterback Turner Baty learn the STA system. "We are really making progress now."

Evidently he's going to be cutting down to a top 12 or 13 and that us and OU will definitely be on it.

It's a step in the right direction anyway.

If potential RBs hear that Aaron Green is high on us (2011), it could scare some off.

Gotta disagree at this point. Maybe if we got an early commit from Green it would be a factor but not just being in the hunt. The competition for Bernard will be big-dogs in recruiting and they'll be in on other name rb's for this and next class too.

If potential RBs hear that Aaron Green is high on us (2011), it could scare some off.

Gotta disagree at this point. Maybe if we got an early commit from Green it would be a factor but not just being in the hunt. The competition for Bernard will be big-dogs in recruiting and they'll be in on other name rb's for this and next class too.

:yeah I don't think that just being in the running will have a huge impact as of now.

I wouldn't want any RB who is scared of competition that is a recruiting class behind him. Wouldn't say much for his confidence.

I wouldn't want any RB who is scared of competition that is a recruiting class behind him. Wouldn't say much for his confidence.

Agreed. All of these kids who are being recruited by big schools know what to expect, and I don't think any of of the good ones expect anything to be handed to them.

According to both sights, Gio recently trimmed his list to a final 9... I looked at Rivals and sure enough, we made it. Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon State, Miami, Tennessee. With the exception of Oregon State (his bro was a stud there), it's nice to see a St. Aquinas kid push us across the first cut. The rest of the teams left are the Big Dogs in the recruiting world.

Doesn't look the greatest for NU HuskerJournal Link

JULY 29, 2009. PREP STAR

GIOVANNI BERNARD, RB, 5-9, 200, 4.5, FT. LAUDERDALE (AQUINAS), FL

Giovanni has offers from Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Nebraska, Oklahoma and others.

Husker Visit

"I’m going to try to, but I’m not actually sure yet.” says Bernard, “They (Nebraska) are trying to get me to visit this fall. I’m not sure if Nebraska is one of my top schools. I haven’t sat down and go over all the schools, but when in feel comfortable with any school I’ll visit.”

“I’m going to trim down the list to five schools. I don’t know when I’m going to do that. It could be any day but doubtful.” Bernard said

“I like Nebraska,” Bernard said, “They have a good offense. I like how they run the ball. They (Nebraska) are kind of a zone running football team, you use the cut back lanes a lot, find a hole.”

“I like coach Beck he’s the running backs coach, I built a really good relationship with him. Nebraska likes how I run and find the holes. They like my agility, pass catching out of the back field. I’m a smart player and know what to do.” Bernard said

Giovanni Likes OU

“I definitely like Oklahoma, their tradition just a great team. They are always going to be a Championship type of team. Oklahoma runs that zone, half spread that’s what we run at my high school now. So that would benefit me.” Bernard said

FSU Visit

“I went to Show Time Camp at Florida State but didn’t participate,” says Bernard, “I just went around like an unofficial. It was pretty nice there, loved the town and the coaches are great. Florida State coaches told me I’m on top for the running backs I’m not really going to take that to the head. There are a lot of other running backs out there.”

“I visited Florida a while ago and I went to the spring game. I liked the spring game it was packed. I built a good relationship with their coaches, Gonzales and Carter.”

“I like Alabama,” Bernard said, “They are one of the three teams I talk to weekly other than Florida State and Florida. Alabama is a great football team, I definitely like them.”

There's an article on HI talking about him possibly taking an early visit to NU. Anyone know if he has made a decision to come or not?

We won't be getting a visit during the season. He still might come in the off season though. We'll see what happens.

I was impressed with the way he used his blockers/pateince when he got to the second level you really saw his speed to get to the edge.

It seems as if he is already injury prone. I remember them saying something about today being the first time he was healthy in a while and then he ended up getting hurt again.

None the less he can play and is definitely a play maker.

It was the first weekend that would have worked for Gio Bernard. The Huskers were set to host a team from Bernard’s area, in fact he has some friends on the team, and Bernard was on a bye. It just wasn’t meant to be though and the Huskers will have to schedule Bernard for later in the season.

Running back Giovanni Bernard was one of four recruits from St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) that took his official visit to Notre Dame last weekend for the USC game. Although the Irish failed to win a close game, Bernard was impressed with the Notre Dame football program.

Scout is reporting that Gio is still interested in Nebraska and we are fighting to be one of his last two visits. I personally think this kid is a stud. I saw him playing on t.v. and he definitely looked like he has potential.

Visiting this weekend. Some think he might pull the trigger.

big get to bring him up here this weekend, I was thinking that it might be pushed off til the end of the season... but pull the trigger? I wouldn't count on it.

that being said. I would LOVE to eat some crow next week.

The fact he's visiting for a game and not after the season should tell you something.

And also an early starting game. This kid is serious about NU.

I'm stoked about our chances here. He'd be a great get

We need more quality guys at this position, you never know what can happen, rb went from a major strength this summer to a sore spot. Plus I think Okafor or maybe somebody else will probably bolt after this season.

If we run the ball as much as is being talked about, could be great weekend for RB recruit visit.

If we run the ball as much as is being talked about, could be great weekend for RB recruit visit.

I've looked at film of Bernard and Green, both highly regarded rbs. If we wind up losing one (assuming either want to commit) who would be the greater loss? Whose upside is better? Green (2011) has a higher rating by Rivals, but is that enough to really separated the two?

The fact he's visiting for a game and not after the season should tell you something.

And also an early starting game. This kid is serious about NU.

I read somewhere that one reason he is visiting during the season is because he has been hurt and not playing so he decided to take some visits while he is healing and not able to play.

Would be a really big pick up...hope he has a great time this weekend...

hope since he is the only official visitor he gets all the extra special attention.. maybe realllllyyyy draw out the tunnel walk... seems to impress everyone... our boy curtis called it one of the coolest things he has ever done in his life.........

come on over GB its gonna get epic over here.......

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say we are not going to get a commitment from Gio. I have nothing to support this other than the most ridiculous offensive showing in a long time.

Maybe he will see that we NEED him....cause we need a lot.

After the game I saw both Gilmore and Beck with Gio for whatever that is worth...

I would say we would have a chance because he could see the offense moved the ball and we kept fumbling.

FWIW, the Rivals open board has posts saying that Gio is ready to commit to NU.

wow that would be a great get and help dull the pain of this last loss.... i guess a lot of recruits can see the potential that we have here... we just need to put the pieces of the plot together....

come on GIOVANNI ANd come into the RED!!!