RB Giovanni Bernard

Player: Giovanni Bernard

Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Position: RB

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 198 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Visit Date: 10/23

Scholarships: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Boston College, Connecticut, Florida, Florida International, Florida State, Louisville, Maryland, Miami, Nebraska, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, Tennessee, USF, West Virginia

Favorites: North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oregon State

COMMITTED TO NORTH CAROLINA

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star

• 3 weeks later...

per Scout: “I have a lot of interest in Alabama, Clemson and Tennessee right now,” Bernard said. “Tennessee is recruiting me very strong.”

...“I definitely have interest in Tennessee,” Bernard said. “Knowing they have some quality backs already there is important. It doesn't bother me at all that Brown is a true freshman there. I want to surround myself with other great players so we can learn and push each other to the next level.”

Bernard impressed by OU and FSU

Monday, May 11, 2009

Posted by JC Shurburtt

It's a loaded year in South Florida for running backs and Giovanni Bernard (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Saint Thomas Aquinas) can make a strong argument for being the best in the region.

He is the top ball-carrier on a loaded team that figures to be among Florida's and the nation's best in 2009. The younger brother of former Oregon State standout Yvenson Bernard (who is currently playing in the Canadian Football League), is 5-foot-9 and 195 pounds. Giovanni is a natural, well-rounded runner with grit and a knack for making yards on his own.

The scholarship offers have poured in. Florida State and Oklahoma dispatched coaches to his high school on the very first day of the spring evaluation period. Miami (Fla.), Alabama, Auburn, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Tennessee, Arkansas, Boston College, Connecticut, Louisville and West Virginia are just some of the programs that have stepped in with a scholarship offer.

Bernard, who averaged 9.5 yards per carry, rushed for 1,371 yards and 16 touchdowns last season. He talked about the Seminoles and said that they would definitely be one of his top schools when he narrows his list down.

"I really liked that they came on the first day that schools can come," Bernard said. "I like that team a lot. It's a really good school, though."

The Noles, however, may not get an official visit. Bernard was clear that nothing was set in stone, but that he would probably reserve his official visits for out-of-state schools.

"I may not take any officials to any of the Florida schools," he said. "But if I don't take official visits to those schools, that does not mean that I am not going there, not at all. I just don't want to use up an official visit on a school that I have been to so many times."

Oklahoma, Miami and Florida are said to be heavily in the mix as well. Obviously the Sooners would get an official visit and the Canes and Gators would not if this holds true.

Spring practice has started at STA and Bernard has taken a leadership role heading into his final season of high school.

"We are working hard to get the new players on offense that transferred in to learn the playbook and get everything down," Bernard said, adding that he has been helping transfer quarterback Turner Baty learn the STA system. "We are really making progress now."