RB Giovanni Bernard

Notre Dame Football: Recruit Bernard expected to commit to Irish

By BOB WIENEKE

Tribune Staff Writer

Running back Giovanni Bernard of St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is expected to verbally commit to Notre Dame, according to CBS College Sports Network analyst Tom Lemming.

The 5-foot-9, 195-pound Bernard has not officially announced his choice and could not be immediately reached for comment.

"I really like him," said Lemming, who gives Bernard four-plus stars on his five-star scale. "I thought he was one of the better running backs in the country. Even though he's small, he's the kind of small back you like."

Bernard, timed in the 40-yard dash 4.5 seconds, ran for 1,570 yards and 18 touchdowns as a junior at Aquinas, averaging 9.8 yards a carry. He carried 160 times, fumbling only once for the 2008 high school national champions.

"He's got the balance, vision and leg strength that Notre Dame is looking for," Lemming said. "The height doesn't matter. What matters is the leg strength and the ability to break tackles."

Bernard plays at the same high school that produced current Irish players Sam Young, Dan Wenger, Ben Turk and Jordan Cowart.

Bernard is not the only Aquinas player being courted by the Irish. Lemming believes adding Bernard could help the Irish with teammates Brandon Linder, and offensive lineman, and cornerback LaMarcus Joyner. The Irish are also recruiting Aquinas cornerback Cody Riggs. All four visited officially for the Oct. 17 USC game.

Bernard would be the 17th player to commit to Notre Dame's recruiting class of 2010, and the second running back. Cameron Roberson of Newbury Park, Calif., committed last month.

http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/2010-recru...al-offer-6.html

Im sorry to ruin the depression fest here, but how exactly is this a loss? Because he has four stars? OOOOHHHH.

Hes not as impressive as Aaron Green, much rather get Green next year.

But either way, we have Burkhead for the future. None of you should be upset.

Green >> Burkhead > Bernard

Im sorry to ruin the depression fest here, but how exactly is this a loss? Because he has four stars? OOOOHHHH.

Assuming the bone in Burkhead's foot heals properly . . . which is no guarantee I'm told. That . . . and you've seen how quickly the RB position can be depleted. We're already through to our 4th string RB . . .

I'd love to see Giovanni N. Same with Green.

Assuming the bone in Burkhead's foot heals properly . . . which is no guarantee I'm told. That . . . and you've seen how quickly the RB position can be depleted. We're already through to our 4th string RB . . .

I'd love to see Giovanni N. Same with Green.

heard that about burk's foot too... that the injury is potentially career ending depending on how it heels. woulda been a great get, but not the end of the world.. just that much more importance on green next year....

Committed to Notre Dame Per ESPN

Four-star running back Giovanni Bernard set for the Fighting Irish

No. 17-rated ball-carrier Giovanni Bernard (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./St. Thomas Aquinas) has committed to sign with Notre Dame, ESPN affiliate Web site IrishSportsDaily.com reports.

• 3 weeks later...