Opinion on the fan base "Blackouts"

It seems to have become a recent trend that when there is a big nationally televised game in Lincoln, the fan base (specifically the students) call for "blackouts", where they wear black Husker shirts in support of, you guessed it, the Blackshirts. Not to be old fashioned, especially since I'm only 19, but I completely disagree with it for a few reasons.

First, when people envision the Nebraska football stadium, they think of the "Sea of Red" and the numerous amounts of red clad fans that fill the stadium. I feel that other schools started there sort of "blackouts" or "yellow-outs" trends to get their fans to support the school in a positive way. Take Missouri, for example. When they romped us in Columbia 2 years ago, the fans had decked themselves out in all yellow t-shirts to support the team. I don't personally feel we need to do sink to those levels just to get our fan base to where a uniform color. I mean come on, it's Nebraska. 97% of the people who show up to the game where red, white, or black. Now just to be clear, I have no problem with people wearing black, just not to the point of where it becomes a media spectacle, because that is really what it is. I mean, imho, we practically started the whole uniformity among the fans :clap

Secondly, it seems to have brought us bad luck so far. I believe the students tried to do this for the Missouri game (I was unable to go to it), and we ended up getting cut into mince meat to say the least. It seems so contrived and artificial and I think it takes away from the aura of what is Nebraska football.

That is my two cents on the idea. Sorry if this has been brought up before, because I did a search and was unable to find anything.

:rant

Congratulations...

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Message Board Posting of the Day

It seems to have become a recent trend that when there is a big nationally televised game in Lincoln, the fan base (specifically the students) call for "blackouts", where they wear black Husker shirts in support of, you guessed it, the Blackshirts. Not to be old fashioned, especially since I'm only 19, but I completely disagree with it for a few reasons.

First, when people envision the Nebraska football stadium, they think of the "Sea of Red" and the numerous amounts of red clad fans that fill the stadium. I feel that other schools started there sort of "blackouts" or "yellow-outs" trends to get their fans to support the school in a positive way. Take Missouri, for example. When they romped us in Columbia 2 years ago, the fans had decked themselves out in all yellow t-shirts to support the team. I don't personally feel we need to do sink to those levels just to get our fan base to where a uniform color. I mean come on, it's Nebraska. 97% of the people who show up to the game where red, white, or black. Now just to be clear, I have no problem with people wearing black, just not to the point of where it becomes a media spectacle, because that is really what it is. I mean, imho, we practically started the whole uniformity among the fans :clap

Secondly, it seems to have brought us bad luck so far. I believe the students tried to do this for the Missouri game (I was unable to go to it), and we ended up getting cut into mince meat to say the least. It seems so contrived and artificial and I think it takes away from the aura of what is Nebraska football.

That is my two cents on the idea. Sorry if this has been brought up before, because I did a search and was unable to find anything.

Congratulations...

hahahaha oh man..thanks :)

Congratulations...

hahahaha oh man..thanks :)

I heard it too, classic!

I don't think it's closed minded or old fashioned to keep red as the dominating stadium color, because that is our color. I think the blackouts are merely done as a media spectacle for attention hungry fans, and not done to support the team. Not to mention we got ripped in the @$$ the last time we did it..so that goes to show how well it "supports" our team.

Why does it matter that we lost? Thats the teams fault. has nothing to do with colors. It's done to create a buzz about the game and im not sayin im for them but it IS closed minded to say "No. No. No. I only wear read or we loose and I'm not supporting the team." No matter what color the shirt is...it still is stamped with a bold N and it still says Nebraska.

Hail to the Victor.

Im a lifetime wrestler and they have done blackouts....that right there proves its not a media spectacle. Theres no such thing as media in wrestling. I mean come on. I'll say it again. Get over it!

Ever heard the quote "if it's too loud ur too old".?

Well "If it's not red enough....your too old!"

I love red. but I cheer loud in black too.

you just lost your fan card. :cop:

. Sorry if this has been brought up before, because I did a search and was unable to find anything.

Just to let you know, the subject has come up many times before. Here's a recap of what always happens on the b******* threads:

Someone suggests that a b******* for a particular game might be cool

300 Husker fans gets irate and belittle the person who suggested it

The original person is like, "Dudes, what's the problem?"

The same 300 Husker fans continue to moan and bitch

Kinda like this thread...except we're not at 300 yet.

And to further irritate the 300, especially those who demand the closing of this thread when there is so little to discuss anyways:

I support the Huskers red or black. While I personally think a black out would be kinda cool, it will never happen because of the 300:1 ratio that I discussed earlier. So let's just continue to wear red and get the 300 people off my ass.

blackouts are dumb. why? because we can't pull one off. I would have no problem with a genuine b******* for some special occasion on the condition that we could actually pull it off. Here are the only ways that we could get this to work:

1. Pelini gets on state-wide TV and asks all fans coming to the game to wear black, and gives a descent reason why.

2. Those entering the stadium without black shirts on would be given free black shirts to put on.

3. It only happened once a decade

Obviously pelini will never do that, and obviously the school wont pay for thousands of free black t-shirts. And obviously if it did magically work once, people would want to do it all the time for ever "big" game, and it would ruin the already beautiful tradition of the sea of red. THIS is why it should never happen. Do I hear an amen?

blackouts are dumb. why? because we can't pull one off. I would have no problem with a genuine b******* for some special occasion on the condition that we could actually pull it off. Here are the only ways that we could get this to work:

1. Pelini gets on state-wide TV and asks all fans coming to the game to wear black, and gives a descent reason why.

2. Those entering the stadium without black shirts on would be given free black shirts to put on.

3. It only happened once a decade

Obviously pelini will never do that, and obviously the school wont pay for thousands of free black t-shirts. And obviously if it did magically work once, people would want to do it all the time for ever "big" game, and it would ruin the already beautiful tradition of the sea of red. THIS is why it should never happen. Do I hear an amen?

Amen! :power