DE Dakota Royer

Player: Dakota Royer

Hometown: Manheim, PA

Position: DE

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 211 lbs.

40 time: 4.66

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Akron, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Rutgers, Stanford, Syracuse, Temple, UCLA, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Favorites: Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh

COMMITTED TO PENN STATE

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star

Royer busy with visits

Defensive end/linebacker Dakota Royer (Manheim, Pa./Central) plans to visit Virginia on Friday. The week of April 13 he will visit Notre Dame, Michigan State and Illinois.

The 6-3, 220-pound Royer is one of the top 10 prospects in the Keystone State. He has been a starter since the beginning of his sophomore season when he had 11 sacks. Royer made 86 tackles including 11 sacks during his junior season and also caught 56 passes for over 1,000 yards and nine touchdowns.

Royer has 19 scholarship offers including Penn State, Pitt, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Illinois, Stanford, Virginia, Rutgers, Temple, UCLA and Syracuse. He has a general timetable for narrowing his list down and making his college choice.

"At the end of this month I will probably narrow it down to seven," Royer said. "Then I'll get a top four or five by June. I wanted to make a commitment on my birthday, June 16, but that's not going to work. I don't see that happening now. I hope to decide by the third week of the football season."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

JUNE 18, 2009. PREP STAR

DAKOTA ROYER, DE, 6-3, 215, 4.6, MANHEIM (MANHEIM CENTRAL), PENNSLYVANIA

“I’ve narrowed my schools. I have a top ten in no order, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Penn State, Illinois, Michigan State, UCLA, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Oregon and West Virginia.” Royer said

Summer Trip To Pittsburgh

“Last year I went to Pittsburgh to see some basketball games, this summer our whole team is going up there for a 7 on 7 tournament. Pittsburgh has top of the line medical school and the Pittsburgh Steelers are right there, that is neat.” Royer said

“Coach Wannstedt and Coach Angelichio have been so nice to me. I like the coaching staff they are like family. It just seems like that Pittsburgh would be a good school to play at. They got that program turned around as well.” Royer said

“Everyone Is On A Scooter”

“Michigan State has a great staff,” says Royer, “some of the guys come from the NFL and they are really on their players. Michigan State (East Lansing) is almost like a big city. It’s a big college city. It’s so big everyone is on a scooter it’s pretty cool. It’s not like a campus it’s like a big campus. Our quarterback Jeff Smoker went to Michigan State and he talks to me about them.” Royer said

Trip To Notre Dame

“It was a very nice school it was probably the best campus I’ve seen. Everything there is like a church architectural and stuff like that it’s a great place.” Royer said

“Notre Dame has great facilities, the weight room and all the buildings. It’s a great feeling there (South Bend) everybody knows each other.” Royer added

West Coast Officials

“I’m going to make it out to UCLA and Oregon on an official I can’t afford it financial wise.” Royer said

“UCLA is one of the best football programs in the country,” says Royer, “It’s west coast, California, always nice weather where you can train all year around. The academics at UCLA are great too. They have a great defensive line coach and they (UCLA) send a lot of players in the NFL.”

“Cool Place To Play”

“If you just look at them (Oregon) it’s a cool place to play,” Royer said, “They pretty much have the best facilities, the fact that NIKE is right there as their top sponsor. It would be real interesting place to play.”

“The Oregon uniforms are cool. Each player has his own plasma TV by their locker they have so many crazy things there.” Royer added

“I’m also going to Virginia Tech and North Carolina this summer,” Royer said, “Justin Myer that used to kick for us plays at Virginia Tech. Justin said it’s a great place to play and the coaches are really nice. I know Butch Davis (North Carolina) will turn that program around. He brings in top notch recruits. I feel like they will be one of the top teams in the country in the coming years.”

Nebraska Is Out

“Nebraska was in my top ten when Oregon offered me I took them out,” says Royer, “I don’t hear much from Nebraska anymore. I will get a letter from them once in a while.” Royer said

“Penn State is putting pressure on me but I don’t let that get to me. I just take it easy and decide what’s best for me. I like Penn State it’s an in state but it doesn’t bother me.” Royer said

Looking For The Right Place

“I’m looking for a place where I can wake up every morning and go to school, go to practice, be with all the guys and everything. Feel like I’m at home. I’m looking at it in the point if football is taking away from me from an injury will I still be able to go to that school and still feel comfortable about my decision.” Royer said

Apparently we stopped recruiting him. That seems to be the story with a lot of recruits that have dropped us.

• 1 month later...

Defensive end/linebacker Dakota Royer (Manheim, Pa./Central) is set to announce his college choice on Thursday at noon EST during a press conference at his high school.

The ESPNU 150 Watch List prospect had narrowed his list of dozens of scholarship offers down to Penn State, Pitt, Notre Dame, Michigan State and Oregon. That list has been reduced by two.

"It is Notre Dame, Penn State and Pitt," Royer said.