Niles Paul got a DUI??

Oh but we need him so bad.

Bad enough for him to kill a couple of teenagers, a mother with 4 kids in the car, a father, a brother, your mother.

You hope it gets dissmissed. For gods sake guys this is death you are talking about. Drinking and driving is one of the most dangersous things in the world. It destroys thousands of families every single year.

Kick his ass off the team. Set out a year and see if he learns his lesson.

He chose to do it, it is his responsiblity to clean it up. No special breaks.

If he ever plays another down at Nebraska means squat to me. We have far too many drunk driving, alcohol related problems with in this program it appears to me.

So, no spring game and probably won't play against FAU. That's my guess.

I hope that the penalty goes beyond that. It seems a more appropriate penalty would be a suspension from now until the second game of the season --- at least. No practice, off the team and rejoin after say .... game two or so.

A DUI is a bad thing --- it is a major offense (many people die in such situations, alcohol and driving is devastating --- obviously it is very dangerous and an irresponsible thing to do). In addition, he is underage --- and drinking is illegal for him. To have such blatant disregard for the law, the community and the team --- this is an expression of letting everyone down --- he should pay a hefty price, having privileges removed. Playing football, training with the team is a privilege. Remove it from him for a month or so and he'll learn a lesson (you'd hope) and it might be preventative medicine for the next unthinking kid on the team thinking that there are no consequences to their choices. After all this is about teaching. So.... teach this kid that if you should not do the crime if you are unwilling to pay the time.

I admit that some hold to the notion that the legal ramifications and the fines and the public humiliation he incurs is sufficient penalty and that football privileges should not be added on to all that. OK. I suppose that is defensible. That said, the person (Paul in this case) and the others on the team, stand to gain more by the greater discipline that comes from the team. So... suspend him from the team, practices and all (for a time).

Nebraska wide receiver arrested for DUI

By The Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 - 03:51:46 pm CDT

A Nebraska receiver was pulled over early Sunday morning and arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Nebraska State Patrol Lt. Mike Jahnke said Niles Paul, 19, was also cited for driving with a suspended license and being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Jahnke said Paul was pulled over at 2:08 a.m. Sunday after he was clocked going 53 miles an hour in a 45. The traffic stop happened in the Lincoln area, Jahnke said, though he was uncertain Monday afternoon where the stop was conducted.

He said the trooper noticed the smell of alcohol on Paul, and conducted a field sobriety test, which Paul failed.

Paul started four games as a sophomore last season for the Cornhuskers, and also handled kickoff return duties, including an 85-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against San Jose State.

Paul was also on the 2008 Second-Team Academic All-Big 12.

:nutz Here we go again....nothing good ever happens after midnight...

Kick his ass off the team. Set out a year and see if he learns his lesson.

He chose to do it, it is his responsiblity to clean it up. No special breaks.

If he ever plays another down at Nebraska means squat to me. We have far too many drunk driving, alcohol related problems with in this program it appears to me.

:sarcasm

Yeah I agree. Let's brand him with a scarlet letter, lock him in shackles, put him on display in the town center for a year and then we'll burn him at the stake like a witch.

[/sarcasm]

You ever lost a family member to a drunk driver?

Try it, you will not like it.

Your attitude is exactly what is wrong. Its just drinking. He did not mean to hurt anyone. Just kids.

That is easy for you to say until you see a whole family laying dead in the street and the damned drunk normally walks away.

He has branded himself. I didn't, but just because he plays a frippne game for Nebraska he is a saint.

There is a drinking problem with in this program. It needs to stop. There is only one way for it to stop. Bo has to come down hard on it, no matter the talent level.

I am sure if Niles had hit your grandmother and killed her, it would be okay because we need him to win the next game. That is what is wrong with these kids, never having to face reality. It needs to start now. Try thinking about how life realy is and what is important. He needs help, there are obviously problems.

I am sure if Niles had hit your grandmother and killed her, it would be okay because we need him to win the next game. That is what is wrong with these kids, never having to face reality. It needs to start now. Try thinking about how life realy is and what is important.

Really sorry for your lose if you did lose someone to something senseless like that... BUT Niles didn't do it. That and I have made mistakes in my life that have taught me not to do it again. Fortunate for Niles, no one was hurt.

Learn your lesson young man. Become a better person from it.

For everyone that gets caught, there is about 4 who doesn't. I'm sure tons of the players do the same thing. I hope Bo throws the book at him.

Paul suspended for rest of spring

Wide receiver Niles Paul was not participating in Monday's practice, suspended from the team after being arrested for DUI early Sunday morning.

“I am aware of the situation involving Niles Paul, and have discussed it with him," Husker head coach Bo Pelini said in a statement. "Niles has been suspended from the remainder of our spring practice, including Saturday’s spring game."

The Huskers practice today, Wednesday and Thursday before Saturday's spring game.