Niles Paul got a DUI??

I'm in no way defending his actions, but Nebraska has a no tolerance policy for drunk driving under the age of 21. I think all an underage drivers BAC has to be is above .02. A beer or two will put you over that.

Too bad he failed the field tests. What a waste. The other thing about sitting him is he still has a redshirt to burn. Is that going to be taken away too or is he just going to sit and take the redshirt?

He said the trooper noticed the smell of alcohol on Paul, and conducted a field sobriety test, which Paul failed.

But 53 on a 45?! That cop must have been really bored to pull him over or like lilred said he must have been swerving.

At 2:08 in the morning, it doesn't take much to get pulled over. And if it gets a drunk driver off the road, that's good.

I'm sure both the legal and team punishment will be appropriate.

Didn't Osborne get pulled over on this stretch too, years ago? Not at 2am, and I imagine he'd have passed the sobriety test <_< , but he did get the ticket.

Sad to say, but I have personally been in Paul's shoes. No I am not an athlete at a major university, but I know what he is going through. He has let his family, coaches, teammates, friends and others down. I do not wish what he is going through on anyone right now. The thing that Niles has to do now is learn from his mistake. This is something that he will never forget and hopefully he gets his priorites straight and can get back on the straight and narrow path. What ever his punishment is either from the university, Bo, or the judical system, he has earned it and needs to pay the time.

Skersfan, I am deeply sorrow for your loses of your family members and your friends. Drinking and Driving is a horrible thing. I know now how simple it is to get a cab to drive me home rather that taking that chance.

Something needs to be done to stop this.

I don't know what... maybe you have to start kicking guys off the team.

All these DUI's are getting ridiculous.

Especially when guys like Niles are getting in trouble. We are on our way to big things with the football team and one of our prized instate guys does this after he has(had) a shot at being a starter for us?? Shoot, what the heck was he even doing out that late. You play for Nebraska man!! Just puts Will Henry another 10 steps ahead in that race, IMO. I like Paul's potential and what he brings to the table, but I'm thinking Bo is one to crackdown and we may have to live with our once hyped players being suspended for a good period of time, if not kicked off. Just my input on this.

I do hope Coach Pelini throws the book at Paul. I agree wholeheartedly with Skersfan on this issue.

Plus it is totally unfathomable that players keep putting themselves in these situations. While I doubt he will be dismissed from the team I believe he should be knocked down in the depth chart and have to bust his a$$ on and off the field to earn his right back into the starting lineup. He should have to spend time with families that had lost loved ones under such stupid circumstances. Maybe the whole team needs to be addressed by someone with that loss to show there are consequences for their actions.

Trying to go beyond the disciplinary structure of the law and the team to make an example out of Niles Paul (as far as I know, a first time offender and a good student) is wrong. To date, outside of a little punt return fumblitis, you can't say anything bad about this kid. Now all of the sudden he needs to be publicly stoned to set an example for the university? That's not his job.

If the leniency surrounding drunk driving laws is the problem, let's keep that the problem. Let's not make Niles Paul the poster boy for Hunter Teafatillering drunken driving. I'm certainly sympathetic to the losses mentioned, as I've experienced more of it throughout my young life than I care to discuss....but vilifying this kid as a form of prevention, is simply not fair. Many of us know better, but still end up making bad choices periodically. Some of those choices can be more destructive than others, but the law deals with outcome and intent...not possibilities.

The punishment should fit the crime. The crime was underage drinking and driving...and 8 mph over the posted speed limit. Niles will have to deal with his state/county officials, as well as his team's officials. Why should he be punished beyond what rules are already set in place for this offense?

For the record, if he was at K-State....he should be in jail anyway. :koolaid2:

I agree with what you said and I'm sorry for your loses skersfan but Niles Paul has been an excellent student and athlete since high school and this is his first run in with the law. Niles Paul has a bright future that lays ahead of himself and to punish him strictly will hurt him in the long run. He's got great potential to fix his mistake and with Osborne as our AD i'm sure he'll give Paul a second chance.

I know Drinking and Driving is a horrible thing just ask that 22 year old Angels pitcher parents or Donte Stallworth. I work at a County Jail and I see drunk drivers on a daily bases and I've witness the affects from both families of the drunk driver and the victims parents too during court, its not pretty and its really depressing. One thing that we don't know is what Niles blew but what we do know is his charges and that nobody was hurt and we should be thankful for that. Lets just remember that Niles didn't get hurt and nobody else didn't get hurt because in my mind thats the most important thing here.

Now I know there are several people on this board that have driven home from a bar in which they shouldn't have for I have done that before. I've had a few beers and decided to drive home but I haven't done that since being hired as a Correctional Officer. There were times when I worked graves and we'd get at least 2-3 drunk drivers a night sometimes and it got so bad that I couldn't stand the smell of beer anymore. I've seen several people come back numerous times for DUI 2, 3, etc and I've seen some of my classmates come in on their 1st DUI and got there life straightened up right after that because they learned from their mistakes.

In my opinion I think that Niles should get probation, a hefty fine, suspended from the spring game and the first 1-3 games of the season. I honestly think that Niles will learn from this and grow from it. He seems to be a bright kid before this incident and really never got into trouble with the law.

is it just me, or does anybody else want to know why his license was suspended in the first place?

I'm curious to that as well.

My other .02. I haven't seen what his BAC was, but all it would take for a 19yo in Nebraska to get a DUI is HALF a BEER within 30 minutes of driving, now being that it was 2 in the morning I doubt this is the case, but give him the benefit of the doubt before stoning him, unlike others. FIELD TEST DOESN"T MATTER because a field test consists of breath analysis, which again in Nebraska a 19yo can get a dui after coming from communion at a church that uses real wine......... Officer smells alcohol, gives you a breathalyzer and it's over. Now obviously there is officer discretion used in these cases but when you are driving on a suspended license you can't expect much of a break.

When I was 18 I was pulled over at 3am after getting off work at 2. Stopped at a buddies house, had A beer and went home because I was tired. Got pulled over for going 61 in a 60(Nebraskaland days, doesn't take much to get pulled over that week), officer wanted to give me a DUI, I pleaded with him to call my father who was working the night shift at the same place I just left, my father confirmed that I had just left work less that 45 minutes ago and the officer used his common sense and let me on my way. Now I doubt Niles has a story this good, but lets not throw him to the wolves(just yet) just because DUI was mentioned... Especially with someone under the age of 21 because of the 0 tolerance law.

It's just unbelievable that some of these athletes have time for this crap in the middle of spring practice. So little comprehension for how much the opportunity they have would mean to a lot of kids in the state. It's a shame to see this lack of self-discipline.

:yeah

That's the other thing that gets to me. How can that situation happen now? (Not that it makes it any better if he'd done this during summer.)

I know this isn't the middle of the season, I know these guys are just college students not robots, but this is one of the most important parts of the football calendar when the offense is getting installed. Between taking care of school work and perfecting what is needed on the field, it's disappointing kids have time to make such bad decisions.

The former college athletes I know (the good ones anyway) did not party in season because they needed to concentrate on their sport (and they wanted win). I'd hope the < 1 month of Spring football would be treated the same, but maybe I'm naive. :dunno

I mean you just got off of Spring Break and will have the rest of the school year and half the summer to party. You can't take off these 3 or 4 weekends?

This really sucks big time. It is easy for anyone to say throw him in jail, suspend him, send a message, etc. These incidents needs to be looked at case by case. I am sure Bo and TO will handle this situation in the best way possible. Drunk driving is a horrible, horrible thing....and Paul is lucky he did not hurt anyone else for his actions.

Sadly, this is not only happening at NU....it is going on all of the country and I am not sure what the answer is to stop this. They keep making the consequences stronger, but judges seem to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have no idea why someone who has a previous DUI is allowed to drive....at least legally anyways.

I hope Niles learns from this and realizes he needs to keep his nose clean!