NU talked to Paulus

I can't see him starting here right away, which would be the only reason we'd get him with his one year of eligibility left.

True..If Lee stays healthy.

But I'd really hate to have to burn a Green redshirt if Lee went down, and Washington was innefective.

That isn't anywhere close to the reason we would take him.

Ok, I can see us offering him if Bo thinks he could add depth and compete for the starting job, but he's probably going to want to go somewhere he's pretty much guaranteed to start since he only has his one year of eligibility, and I don't see that being the case here. He'd have to learn the playbook even faster than Green.

That isn't anywhere close to the reason we would take him.

Ok, I can see us offering him if Bo thinks he could add depth and compete for the starting job, but he's probably going to want to go somewhere he's pretty much guaranteed to start since he only has his one year of eligibility, and I don't see that being the case here. He'd have to learn the playbook even faster than Green.

Nobody really knows his intentions, but this is my best guess.

1. He wants to go somewhere where he has a chance to compete. As far as I have seen this kid is a competitor and doesn't want to just be handed the starting job (not sure on Syracuse's quarterback situation so I can't comment on theirs).

2. He wants to go somewhere that would be the football equivalent of Duke. Syracuse? Uhhhh...

3. He wants to go to graduate school in some sort of journalism field (reports of him touring through the Journalism building on his visit). From what I've heard, Syracuse is actually the most prestigious in the country in this regard.

4. He isn't an idiot, and an idiot is what he would have to be if he expected to start but was still considering Nebraska.

5. He wants to go to a school that will prepare him for a possible career in the NFL, whether as a back-up or a starter, Nebraska would most obviously and definitely be that place ahead of Syracuse.

"National player of the year" = "average"? Worked out by the Green Bay Packers...average?

This guy has one year - one! - and won't burn any schollies in this recruiting class because by the time they get here he'll be gone. Never mind that though, doesn't sound like he'll come anyways.

Well yeah, he can be pretty average. Any team will take a shot on a guy with potential just to see if they can strike gold.

Remember Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson?

i say if he wants to be a Husker then great, let him come on in. he would push Lee to become a better QB, save a redshirt for Green and Marteniz, and who knows might turn into a decent player

what is there to lose????

A scholarship?

Not really...

imho, we should not waste a scholarship on Paulus.

He played football in New York State, he hasn't padded up in over 4 years, he is NOT in football shape, and isn't up to game speed.

Plus, a guy like Henery deserves a scholarship way before Paulus ever does.

imho, we should not waste a scholarship on Paulus.

He played football in New York State, he hasn't padded up in over 4 years, he is NOT in football shape, and isn't up to game speed.

Plus, a guy like Henery deserves a scholarship way before Paulus ever does.

Great points, great post.

"Joe Casamento, the former high school football coach of Greg Paulus, said he expects the ex-Duke basketball player to choose soon between Syracuse and Nebraska for his one season of football eligibility next fall.

“Those are the only two that I’m aware of,” Casamento said tonight on Sports Nightly, the radio program of the Husker Sports Network, "but I may not be aware of everything.""

From May 6th:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10396039