ATH Curtis Carter

Let's see here:

Scout: :star

Rivals: :star :star :star 5.6 No positional rating

ESPN: NR

Sounds like we can't live without him. :sarcasm

Obviously Scout and ESPN have not evaluated him and sure Rivals might bump him up, but do any of us know how good he is? I'm sure he's a good player or the coaches would not have offered him, but I don't know where he sits in the list of 20 or so WRs Nebraska has offered and if the coaches would accept his verbal if they got it this week.

Let's see here:

Scout: :star

Rivals: :star :star :star 5.6 No positional rating

ESPN: NR

Sounds like we can't live without him. :sarcasm

Obviously Scout and ESPN have not evaluated him and sure Rivals might bump him up, but do any of us know how good he is? I'm sure he's a good player or the coaches would not have offered him, but I don't know where he sits in the list of 20 or so WRs Nebraska has offered and if the coaches would accept his verbal if they got it this week.

My simple answer ..

Jen I respect your opinion but it just doesn't make much sense. By your logic youre saying we have this recruit here that could be a game changer but if we don't get him we'll just move on to the less athletic lower recruited guy and thats no problem.

You are misunderstanding what I'm saying.

1. I'm pointing out that it makes perfect sense to worry about a recruit who has signed on the dotted line and is on campus.

2. It's completely pointless to worry about a kid who hasn't signed his LOI yet.

3. It's merely your assumption that if we miss out on Carter that whoever we do get won't be as fast, quick, agile etc. While it's possible that's the case it's not certain. How can you say with 100% certainty that the plan b, c or even d won't be just as good? You can't.

I know what youre saying, we can't cry over a recruit that doesn't want to come here. If it happens it happens, but FANS, people who want the best players and want their team to win can be upset that we again came up short for a player we DO NEED. So if we strike out on all of our top targets and they go to big 12 teams do you think that will be no big deal? Yes I trust in Bo that he knows what he is doing which is your argument every time recruiting comes up. However, with me trusting in Bo means that I realize that he wants Carter and every other guy he has targeted. If he doesn't get him I'm sure Bo, as well as husker fans will be dissapointed. It sounds like you were just fine with the classes solich was bringing in. Sure he wasn't getting his first, second, third, or probably fourth option most times but he was "just moving on to the next guy" as you said so no big deal right? Bottom line is we do need to get athletes like this. I think Callahan simply made us feel cheated on bc we put so much stock in rivals rankings and got nothing out of them. Now we are all so gun shy to think hey this guy is a four star he has to be pretty good. There is a reason that USC, Florida, Texas, OU, Ohio St, LSU, Georgia and Alabama are now the big boys of college football. Go look at the rivals recruiting rankings and you'll get your answer. Getting highly ranked guys is the key, if you don't think so just look at the teams consistently competing for NC's then look at the teams with the best recruiting classes. Obviously there are exceptions so I don't need the argument, "look at Notre Dame".

I want the best players as well...we all do. Just don't go crazy when we don't get the top guys. Often times the top prospects want cash, a high profile job for ma or pa or even uncle Joe. At Arkansas, remember that QB, the one who transferred to USC? He signed with Arkansas because his his school coach was named the Razorbacks new OC.

To think that recruiting comprises only what happens on the field, well... :laughpound

Jen on average the higher ranked guys produce to a higher degree than the guys that were lower ranked. So no I can't say 100% the next guy won't be as good but like a lot of things it's a numbers game. However, the coaches have film on probably thousands of prospects and if they thought their second option was just as fast, athletic hard working etc they would have offered him first. I trust the coaches as much as the next guy/girl but you lean on that statement a little too much, no offense. Also since you do trust the coaches you should realize they want Curtis Carter more than they want Keith Sconiers. If they didn't they would have offered Sconiers before they offered Carter. Whos to say that if we miss out on Carter they don't offer Sconiers, does that mean we should trust the coaches that they know who they want to target? No, I'm sure they would be just as pissed they missed out on a game changer. It also makes perfect sense to worry about recruiting since that is possibly the biggest factor in winning. If we have a chance with a LB who's 6'3 230 lbs and runs a 4.5 and we come in second for him behind OU should I not care bc we got a LB who's 6' 200 lbs and runs a 4.9 who we beat out fresno st and san diego st for?

Jen I respect your opinion but it just doesn't make much sense. By your logic youre saying we have this recruit here that could be a game changer but if we don't get him we'll just move on to the less athletic lower recruited guy and thats no problem.

You are misunderstanding what I'm saying.

1. I'm pointing out that it makes perfect sense to worry about a recruit who has signed on the dotted line and is on campus.

2. It's completely pointless to worry about a kid who hasn't signed his LOI yet.

3. It's merely your assumption that if we miss out on Carter that whoever we do get won't be as fast, quick, agile etc. While it's possible that's the case it's not certain. How can you say with 100% certainty that the plan b, c or even d won't be just as good? You can't.

I know what youre saying, we can't cry over a recruit that doesn't want to come here. If it happens it happens, but FANS, people who want the best players and want their team to win can be upset that we again came up short for a player we DO NEED. So if we strike out on all of our top targets and they go to big 12 teams do you think that will be no big deal? Yes I trust in Bo that he knows what he is doing which is your argument every time recruiting comes up. However, with me trusting in Bo means that I realize that he wants Carter and every other guy he has targeted. If he doesn't get him I'm sure Bo, as well as husker fans will be dissapointed. It sounds like you were just fine with the classes solich was bringing in. Sure he wasn't getting his first, second, third, or probably fourth option most times but he was "just moving on to the next guy" as you said so no big deal right? Bottom line is we do need to get athletes like this. I think Callahan simply made us feel cheated on bc we put so much stock in rivals rankings and got nothing out of them. Now we are all so gun shy to think hey this guy is a four star he has to be pretty good. There is a reason that USC, Florida, Texas, OU, Ohio St, LSU, Georgia and Alabama are now the big boys of college football. Go look at the rivals recruiting rankings and you'll get your answer. Getting highly ranked guys is the key, if you don't think so just look at the teams consistently competing for NC's then look at the teams with the best recruiting classes. Obviously there are exceptions so I don't need the argument, "look at Notre Dame".

I want the best players as well...we all do. Just don't go crazy when we don't get the top guys. Often times the top prospects want cash, a high profile job for ma or pa or even uncle Joe. At Arkansas, remember that QB, the one who transferred to USC? He signed with Arkansas because his his school coach was named the Razorbacks new OC.

To think that recruiting comprises only what happens on the field, well... :laughpound

i think some people are just meaning that WHY can't we go and try to get top talent rather than just settle for for options...

Jen on average the higher ranked guys produce to a higher degree than the guys that were lower ranked. So no I can't say 100% the next guy won't be as good but like a lot of things it's a numbers game. However, the coaches have film on probably thousands of prospects and if they thought their second option was just as fast, athletic hard working etc they would have offered him first. I trust the coaches as much as the next guy/girl but you lean on that statement a little too much, no offense. Also since you do trust the coaches you should realize they want Curtis Carter more than they want Keith Sconiers. If they didn't they would have offered Sconiers before they offered Carter. Whos to say that if we miss out on Carter they don't offer Sconiers, does that mean we should trust the coaches that they know who they want to target? No, I'm sure they would be just as pissed they missed out on a game changer. It also makes perfect sense to worry about recruiting since that is possibly the biggest factor in winning. If we have a chance with a LB who's 6'3 230 lbs and runs a 4.5 and we come in second for him behind OU should I not care bc we got a LB who's 6' 200 lbs and runs a 4.9 who we beat out fresno st and san diego st for?

I understand what you're saying here I really do. But I just have a more positive outlook on life in general, or at least I try to, and I know that everything happens for a reason and that typically things that happen tend to work out for the best.

The part in blue..and you know this how exactly? I don't know so that's why I'm asking.

My point here all along is that I'm willing to roll with which ever recruits decides to sign with the Huskers.

Those that go somewhere else...meh.

i think some people are just meaning that WHY can't we go and try to get top talent rather than just settle for for options...

We are going after the top talent. Remember there are typically 25+ other schools going after the kids we're going after and it's completely unrealistic to expect us to land all the top prospects on our board.

In regards to the part in blue..I know this bc they obviously have film on both prospects and have for quite some time. They offered Carter and not Sconiers so they obviously want Carter more. It's that simple. Now there are some late bloomers and I'm not saying that automatically Carter will be a better college player, just that on average if we get our first option or highly ranked players we will be a hell of a lot more competitive than if we get our 2nd, 3rd or 4th option. Do you think USC, Florida or LSU would be winning 85-90% of their games if they were getting their 3rd options? I don't.

In regards to the part in blue..I know this bc they obviously have film on both prospects and have for quite some time. They offered Carter and not Sconiers so they obviously want Carter more. It's that simple. Now there are some late bloomers and I'm not saying that automatically Carter will be a better college player, just that on average if we get our first option or highly ranked players we will be a hell of a lot more competitive than if we get our 2nd, 3rd or 4th option. Do you think USC, Florida or LSU would be winning 85-90% of their games if they were getting their 3rd options? I don't.

Believe it or not the schools you mentioned...they have actually lost recruits to other schools-this isn't a phenomenon that exclusively affects Nebraska.

I will agree that on paper it is usually better to get the #1 or #2 prospect on your board than the #3, 4 or 5. That being said, we're talking about kids who are typically 17 years old and projecting how they will develop physically in the next 3-5 years is a crap-shoot at best.

I realize that the schools I mentioned don't get their number one every time, but they sure get them a lot more often than they don't. Also if they don't get their number one guy their number two guy is most likely in the top 15 nationally for their position compared to our number 2 being in the top 45 nationally. I also realize it is not exact but can you explain to me then why year in and year out the teams that are in the top 5 in recruiting are usually the teams competing for national titles? It's bc they get their number one guy at a lot of postions, not all, but a lot. Why do you think florida is on top right now? bc they are getting their fourth option? By the way I'm upbeat as well, it's just IMO your logic here of just move on and we'll be fine doesn't make sense.

I realize that the schools I mentioned don't get their number one every time, but they sure get them a lot more often than they don't. Also if they don't get their number one guy their number two guy is most likely in the top 15 nationally for their position compared to our number 2 being in the top 45 nationally. I also realize it is not exact but can you explain to me then why year in and year out the teams that are in the top 5 in recruiting are usually the teams competing for national titles? It's bc they get their number one guy at a lot of postions, not all, but a lot. Why do you think florida is on top right now? bc they are getting their fourth option? By the way I'm upbeat as well, it's just IMO your logic here of just move on and we'll be fine doesn't make sense.

because they have good coaches that can develop talent and they put their players in a position to succeed.

but i understand what you are saying it would be nice for bo to get his #1 recruits, but we as fans don't know who's bo's #1 recruits. you could argue that since carter got offered before sconiers he is our #1 recruit; but then you would then have argue that carter is not our #1 recuit b/c tyler slavin was offered before him and i am sure someone was offered b4 him. all i am saying there is no way to know who bo's #1 recruit is, and if you argument is right that does not mean that bo is moving onto a scrub.

I agree with huskers1 about wanting, wishing, hoping to land recruits like Carter, and I am more than sure the majority of this board do as well. However, we will continue getting a only a handful of these type of athletes until we consistently put up winning seasons and come up on the right side of some big games. Winning games takes care of this.

Remember this generation of recruit might, might know of some DONU history, but the majority of these kids know what has happened the last five, six, seven years, and there hasn't been much. The pull, by name alone, isn't what it once was. Our facilities are better, but don't do that much good until the kids come visit and see them. Winning, which Bo and the staff seem to be on the right track to, will take care of the kids.

PS, winning also won't hurt cause then the pillowfluffer of the year, Kirk Herbstreet, will be all about DONU and his best buddy Bo. And the kids love them some ESPN.