Legalization of Drugs

weed- yes

other drugs on a federal level- yes

other drugs on a state by state level- thats just up to the individual states imo

prostitution on a federal level- yes

prostitution on a state by state level- thats just up to the individual states imo

The federal levels thing you have there is irrelevant. When it comes to issues of morality, education, and public safety, the laws of the state are supreme. That's why I never understood why people waste their time arguing on whether the president agrees with things like capital punishment. It's irrelevant. It's up to the states entirely. If you get caught with weed, unless you are in DC or a federal territory, you will be prosecuted on state criminal laws (or in Louisiana, Roman law) and not federal law, unless of course the feds get involved and believe that what you did was somehow apart of the interstate commerce clause (as in, there is evidence you are an interstate drug dealer).

This thread seems to have derailed itself in some areas. Here is my take on the subject.

The only drug I believe should be legal is marijuana. Why? Well, here are some of my reasons.

1) The legalization and taxation of marijuana could literally bring in billions of dollars in revenue. All you would have to do is tax it similar to that of the taxation of cigarettes and other tobacco. I saw one estimate, in 2009, that stated at least 14 billion dollars could be made each year from the taxation alone. We spend billions of taxpayers' money each year prosecuting and jailing marijuana offenders as is.

2) In many situations, marijuana's effects can be less damaging than those of alcohol. I have been around the highest of highs and the drunkest of drunks, and the drunks are far more dangerous.

3) It's not as dangerous as people make it out to be. The commercials do marijuana a terrible injustice, depicting as something it is not in order to scare parents. As I said, I have been around plenty of marijuana users, and I have NEVER seen them act as they are depicted in the commercials.

4) You cannot overdose and die on marijuana. It is impossible to smoke enough marijuana to the point of death, and there is not a single case in the world of somebody dying solely from marijuana overdosing.

Others may disagree, but it is my personal opinion that alcohol is a far more dangerous substance, and that the taxation and legalization of marijuana could be a benefit to society. I did a 10 page report on the taxation and legalization of marijuana my freshman year of college (it is purely an unbiased report, but all I have is the rough draft which I ended up having a little bias in, before eventually editing it out). If anybody is interested in reading it, I would be more than happy to supply it.

• Plus1 1

weed- yes

other drugs on a federal level- yes

other drugs on a state by state level- thats just up to the individual states imo

prostitution on a federal level- yes

prostitution on a state by state level- thats just up to the individual states imo

The federal levels thing you have there is irrelevant. When it comes to issues of morality, education, and public safety, the laws of the state are supreme. That's why I never understood why people waste their time arguing on whether the president agrees with things like capital punishment. It's irrelevant. It's up to the states entirely. If you get caught with weed, unless you are in DC or a federal territory, you will be prosecuted on state criminal laws (or in Louisiana, Roman law) and not federal law, unless of course the feds get involved and believe that what you did was somehow apart of the interstate commerce clause (as in, there is evidence you are an interstate drug dealer).

I suspect that if you are convicted of selling MJ the feds would get you on tax evasion which is not under the ICC.

• 10 years later...

• 1 month later...

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Grant Wistrom speaks for the bill...

And of course, Dr Tom speaks against...

It will be just as illegal for kids whether it gets legalized for adults or not. Teenagers who want marijuana can get marijuana. Just like they’ve always been able to get cigarettes and alcohol. People am dumb. 

To Osborne’s comments - those who smoked pot were willing to jeopardize their careers and the program’s success doing something that was against the rules. They were more selfish than other players. That doesn’t make it an effect of the drug. It could just as easily be an effect of them being selfish and not team players. 

• Plus1 3