Legalization of Drugs

So I came across this story about whether or not currently illegal street drugs should be legalized and thought this would be a good topic for discussion.

Don Semesky, the former chief of financial operations for the Drug Enforcement Administration in Washington, D.C., asks: "Have you ever seen a meth addict, with all those sores and rotten teeth? And what they do to their kids? Do you want the government to be responsible for that?"

Savings on drug-related law enforcement -- FBI, police, courts and prisons -- of $2 billion to $10 billion a year if marijuana were legalized, based on various estimates, or up to $40 billion a year if all drugs were legalized, based on enforcement costs from the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy. That's before the cost of overseeing the new drug regulations.

Read the rest of the story here ---> Legalize Drugs?

Thoughts? Comments?

:facepalm:

Never happen; the alcohol industry has very good lobbyists. They don't like competition either. Although more people probably die from alcohol related illnesses and other etoh causes than marijuana the prohibition is here to stay. I'm not against legalizing marijuana and let the gov. tax it just like alcohol, tires, cigarettes, etc.,. Legalizing other drugs NOPE.

And yes I can pass a drug panel, either blood or urine. :)

GBR

agreed, i refuse to even be in the room with people doing that crap but i think that it should be legal. "they" say that alcohol is actually more harmful than marijuana! but heck you can walk through a college campus and i can guarantee you that 1/3 to 1/2 of the students and a portion of the faculty are already smoking marijuana illegally.

why not make some money from it......the government i mean.

alcohol companies are just the tip of the ice burg, its the oil companies that really don't want it legalized...

up until 1933(prohibition began) ethanol/oil extract from marijuana was the top automobile product(over black gold/gasoline)... then some oil company(and others) lobbyists stepped in and turned it into a racist thing

They are locking so many people up for weed that they are making more that way than off of taxing it.

It is also one of the best broad spectrum pain meds in the world and pharmaceutical companies would get hammered if the government regulated its sale.

Weed .. Yes , a long time ago. ANY other drug... no.

Nobel Prize Winning economist Milton Friedman has supported the legalization of drugs since the mid-seventities. Legalize it, tax the hell out of it, educate us about the harm it can do and get the government out of peoples lives. Prohibition taught us that you can't legislate against morals.

T_O_B

Like Don Corleone, I'm a reasonable man. My problem isn't that I care whether or not people do drugs. What people put in their body is not my concern. What is my concern is that with the Chosen One's healthcare proposal I'm going to have to shell out the bucks for every loser crackhead that stumbles into the ER, or treatment for every person who wants a life reform. If you want to live in a free society, then you have to live in a free society. You can't tell people they can do whatever they want and then expect everyone else to eat the costs. That's not freedom. If you're willing to go the whole way (and this would involve a general shrinking of government), I'm willing to go with you. But until that day comes, I'd rather things remain as they are. I don't think our society is responsible enough anymore to survive this.

Like Don Corleone, I'm a reasonable man. My problem isn't that I care whether or not people do drugs. What people put in their body is not my concern. What is my concern is that with the Chosen One's healthcare proposal I'm going to have to shell out the bucks for every loser crackhead that stumbles into the ER, or treatment for every person who wants a life reform. If you want to live in a free society, then you have to live in a free society. You can't tell people they can do whatever they want and then expect everyone else to eat the costs. That's not freedom. If you're willing to go the whole way (and this would involve a general shrinking of government), I'm willing to go with you. But until that day comes, I'd rather things remain as they are. I don't think our society is responsible enough anymore to survive this.

I think people would quickly find out the true meaning of responsibility if they didn't think they had the government to fall back on every time they screwed the pooch.

I also agree with your point of about the cost of healthcare. Yes, everyone wants the free and more affordable healthcare, but do they really want the baggage (regulation and loss of freedom) that comes with it. In the end, we'd find out it's not free or cheap at all.

They are locking so many people up for weed that they are making more that way than off of taxing it.

It is also one of the best broad spectrum pain meds in the world and pharmaceutical companies would get hammered if the government regulated its sale.

Weed .. Yes , a long time ago. ANY other drug... no.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that the government is making money from imprisoning drug addicts? Isn't the opposite true? Aren't we spending money to incarcerate them? Sorry if I am missing something.

(and yep, legalize marijuana. It'd be difficult to tax because unlike tobacco and alcohol people can just grow it at home(unless you are a homebrewer I suppose). Why spend money trying to regulate something that is about as harmful or dangerous as tobacco or alcohol?)

Nothing much to say about this other than that I don't understand why cigs and alcohol are legal, but marijuana isn't. In some states its a harsh crime to get caught with it and in others its a slap on the wrist. It's safer to drive while being high on pot rather than driving drunk. Or so I've heard. Also, cigs do nothing but kill you. As far as I know the annual death rate from marijuana is a big fat zero. Just some thoughts.

:cop: How come we haven't heard any opinions from our local coppers on this? My guess is that they don't mind pot being illegal, because stoners are much easier to catch when there high than your average thug! :cop:

Then again, maybe not!!!

WM1fAkV805s&feature=related