Legalization of Drugs

Look, I'm very much in favor of legalizing marijuana but let's not act like it isn't addictive too. That's obviously no reason to outlaw a product. If you don't agree that it is addictive and can ruin families and lives, then either you haven't been around enough people smoking it or your an addict yourself. The prospect of the government making a buck on this ought not be a factor, the idea that people can be harmed by it ought not be a factor, this is, and should be a matter of personnal choice and the acceptance of the correrating consequences resulting there from.

Sadly, the idea that one can, of their own free will, make a bad life choice and suffer accordingly has all but vanished from the landscape, thusly, we need a big brother to protect us from our own demons, or so it would seem.

There will be little chance that marijuana will become legal nationally with the current administration. Obama picked a VP who was co-sponsor of the RAVE Act in the 90's and lobbied vehemently to have a Drug Czar appointed during the 80's.

The current Drug Czar, Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske was the top local law enforcer for a city where marijuana has been essentially decriminalized. The city's voters passed an initiative making marijuana the city's "lowest law enforcement priority." Kerlikowske had implemented the policy faithfully, despite the fact that he did not support it.

So whatever the pro-legalization crowd thought they voted for in Obama looks to be in their own minds, because he has appointed and selected people that would be in reality against legalization.

Look, I'm very much in favor of legalizing marijuana but let's not act like it isn't addictive too. That's obviously no reason to outlaw a product. If you don't agree that it is addictive and can ruin families and lives, then either you haven't been around enough people smoking it or your an addict yourself. The prospect of the government making a buck on this ought not be a factor, the idea that people can be harmed by it ought not be a factor, this is, and should be a matter of personnal choice and the acceptance of the correrating consequences resulting there from.

Sadly, the idea that one can, of their own free will, make a bad life choice and suffer accordingly has all but vanished from the landscape, thusly, we need a big brother to protect us from our own demons, or so it would seem.

Addictive legal things ... Cigarettes .. legal, Coffee... Legal, Alcohol... legal.. I could go on for a week.

I agree ultimately we all make choices . Some for the good some are bad. It is just an individuals perception and phobias that determine their recourse.

IMO the war on drugs is very necessary but the law enforcement and government have already lost with weed. They will never..ever stop its underground sale that has to be billions of $$s. Sell it rolled by the pack (with limitations)and TAX THE sh#t OUT OF IT!!! :)

according to most phycologists, weed is classified as "habit forming" not "addictive" such as cigs, alcohol, meth, coke, heroin, ect....

the last time i smoked weed was on monday night, and i haven't had with drawls, i haven't woke up in a sweat, i've made it to work on time, and most notably the reason i can say i'm not addicted to weed(and everyone i know who smokes), is because i don't need it to get through the day... unlike someone who's addicted to cigs, alcohol, coke, meth, or whatever...

according to most phycologists, weed is classified as "habit forming" not "addictive" such as cigs, alcohol, meth, coke, heroin, ect....

the last time i smoked weed was on monday night, and i haven't had with drawls, i haven't woke up in a sweat, i've made it to work on time, and most notably the reason i can say i'm not addicted to weed(and everyone i know who smokes), is because i don't need it to get through the day... unlike someone who's addicted to cigs, alcohol, coke, meth, or whatever...

Where do you live....................me and some friends are coming over. Don't worry about the loud noise that comes from the flashbang thrown through the door, it's normal.

Oz, your honesty should be applauded. :clapStatistics show that nearly 40% of americans have tried marijuana. If you project those numbers, let's say at a conservative mid western 30%, to the over 5200 members on this board. Then over 1500 members should have smoked at some time in their life. NORML says 1in 12 Adult males smoke marijuana regularly. That's over 8%. I don't know the numbers, but let's say half of HB members are mid. aged, that would mean around 200 of us are pot smokers! Statisticaly speaking , of course! ;)

Besides BRI, having smoked marijuana isn't a crime. Only possesing it is. That's one of the many ways the laws are so fuzzy. When 75% percent of pot smokers are white, but well over half of those arrested for it are black or hispanic, then the system is pretty broken. Wouldn't you agree?

Yeah, having used marijuana probably makes one more likely to try other drugs, though I never have. Well, I have used alcohol, which is just as much as a gateway drug, yet no one seems to think alcohol should be illegal because it is also a gateway drug...

So, the logical extension of this arguement is, because I got good and drunk last Saturday and didn't wake up jonesing on tuesday, alcohol isn't addictive. I'll be sure to let the guys in the AA meeting down the street know that they're wasting their time (by the way I'm pretty sure most of them didn't think they had a problem at one time or another too). Also, not to be overly technical but "most phycologist" opinion isn't by any means scientifically conclussive especiallly given that only phyciatrist actually have MDs.

Lastly, I have seen this "habit" led to personal ruin. I've seen it led to divorce, loss of good jobs, and imprisionment. These don't seem the reational outcomes of clear thinking indiviuals.

So, the logical extension of this arguement is, because I got good and drunk last Saturday and didn't wake up jonesing on tuesday, alcohol isn't addictive.

well, no... in the case you say, logic implies that you didn't feel any addictive side effects(unless you woke-up with a hangover). not that it isn't addictive at all.

i know several people who can't make it half a day without a drink or a cig... people that would spend their last couple bucks on a shot of whiskey instead of a sandwich.

i don't know one pot smoker that would rather have weed than food.

Lastly, I have seen this "habit" led to personal ruin. I've seen it led to divorce, loss of good jobs, and imprisionment. These don't seem the reational outcomes of clear thinking indiviuals.

was it marijuana that caused the divorce, or the prejudice against marijuana?

was it marijuana that cause them to lose their job, or the prejudice against marijuana?

was it marijuana, a plant put here by God(Genesis 1, 29... thats the first chapter of the bible for ya) the reason people were imprisoned, or was it the prejudice against marijuana?

I've seen it bring people together, i've seen it create new friendships, i've seen it make relationships stronger(in cases of both people as smokers, and in cases of only one person being a smoker), i've seen it pay for kids' food & cloths, i've seen it give people religious experiences, i've seen it do alot of things... not all of it was good(most has been good though), but none of which merits its prohibition, imo.

Where do you live....................me and some friends are coming over. Don't worry about the loud noise that comes from the flashbang thrown through the door, it's normal.

why the hell would you come over? all im doing is exercising the 1st amendment :dunno

besides, im all out anyways :)

Besides BRI, having smoked marijuana isn't a crime. Only possesing it is. That's one of the many ways the laws are so fuzzy. When 75% percent of pot smokers are white, but well over half of those arrested for it are black or hispanic, then the system is pretty broken. Wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for telling me that I wasn't giving the guy crap or anything. :wacko: I've dealt with the law a few times so I'm sure I know what it says or what it doesn't say. Besides most people that have smoked it may have more with them or obviously know where to get it. I'm not going to get into the racism argument with you over marijuana.

why the hell would you come over? all im doing is exercising the 1st amendment :dunno

Yeah well exercise it all you want, but you'll get caught one day and then think, "man this was stupid!"

Yeah well exercise it all you want, but you'll get caught one day and then think, "man this was stupid!"

Using just a little bit of caution, one can be relatively sure of never getting caught. Use it only at home and carry it with you only to transport it home after purchase and you'll probably never get caught. BRI, I'm guessing almost everyone you've ever busted for possessing a small amount of pot has violated one of those two rules, yes?

In the unlikely event that you get caught, any regrets probably depend on where you live. In nebraska it is a $100 fine, which wouldn't cause me a lot of regrets. In Chicago it isn't even prosecuted as a crime, and you simply mail in your $50 civil fine, much like when a traffic camera catches you going through a red light. In some states there are serious consequences, and yeah, I definitely wouldn't take any chances if for some reason I lived there...

Using just a little bit of caution, one can be relatively sure of never getting caught. Use it only at home and carry it with you only to transport it home after purchase and you'll probably never get caught. BRI, I'm guessing almost everyone you've ever busted for possessing a small amount of pot has violated one of those two rules, yes?

In the unlikely event that you get caught, any regrets probably depend on where you live. In nebraska it is a $100 fine, which wouldn't cause me a lot of regrets. In Chicago it isn't even prosecuted as a crime, and you simply mail in your $50 civil fine, much like when a traffic camera catches you going through a red light. In some states there are serious consequences, and yeah, I definitely wouldn't take any chances if for some reason I lived there...

For the most part you are correct, I've gotten several simple possessions out of traffic stops since marijuana smells so strong. However on 4/20, marijuana holiday, this one house had so many people smoking inside of it that the neighbors could smell it coming out of the house. Never mind the fact that these people's neighbor is a F-ING COP!!!! I mean how stupid can you be really? Did a knock and talk, and it was like the movie Half-Baked happening right in front of me. One of his buddies took off out the back of the house, was taken down by another officer, and had a small amount of weed on him that he would've just gotten a citation for and been released, but not when he bolts from the house. Dude that answered the door tried to lie to me and say they weren't smoking weed so I said, "Dude, if I had a bag of Funyuns (spl?) you'd want some right now." He started laughing so hard he started choking, wasn't laughing when I called his probation officer.