Legalization of Drugs

Look, I'm very much in favor of legalizing marijuana but let's not act like it isn't addictive too. That's obviously no reason to outlaw a product. If you don't agree that it is addictive and can ruin families and lives, then either you haven't been around enough people smoking it or your an addict yourself. The prospect of the government making a buck on this ought not be a factor, the idea that people can be harmed by it ought not be a factor, this is, and should be a matter of personnal choice and the acceptance of the correrating consequences resulting there from.

Sadly, the idea that one can, of their own free will, make a bad life choice and suffer accordingly has all but vanished from the landscape, thusly, we need a big brother to protect us from our own demons, or so it would seem.

according to most phycologists, weed is classified as "habit forming" not "addictive" such as cigs, alcohol, meth, coke, heroin, ect....

the last time i smoked weed was on monday night, and i haven't had with drawls, i haven't woke up in a sweat, i've made it to work on time, and most notably the reason i can say i'm not addicted to weed(and everyone i know who smokes), is because i don't need it to get through the day... unlike someone who's addicted to cigs, alcohol, coke, meth, or whatever...

Where do you live....................me and some friends are coming over. Don't worry about the loud noise that comes from the flashbang thrown through the door, it's normal.

why the hell would you come over? all im doing is exercising the 1st amendment :dunno

besides, im all out anyways :)

Yeah well exercise it all you want, but you'll get caught one day and then think, "man this was stupid!"

Using just a little bit of caution, one can be relatively sure of never getting caught. Use it only at home and carry it with you only to transport it home after purchase and you'll probably never get caught. BRI, I'm guessing almost everyone you've ever busted for possessing a small amount of pot has violated one of those two rules, yes?

In the unlikely event that you get caught, any regrets probably depend on where you live. In nebraska it is a $100 fine, which wouldn't cause me a lot of regrets. In Chicago it isn't even prosecuted as a crime, and you simply mail in your $50 civil fine, much like when a traffic camera catches you going through a red light. In some states there are serious consequences, and yeah, I definitely wouldn't take any chances if for some reason I lived there...

For the most part you are correct, I've gotten several simple possessions out of traffic stops since marijuana smells so strong. However on 4/20, marijuana holiday, this one house had so many people smoking inside of it that the neighbors could smell it coming out of the house. Never mind the fact that these people's neighbor is a F-ING COP!!!! I mean how stupid can you be really? Did a knock and talk, and it was like the movie Half-Baked happening right in front of me. One of his buddies took off out the back of the house, was taken down by another officer, and had a small amount of weed on him that he would've just gotten a citation for and been released, but not when he bolts from the house. Dude that answered the door tried to lie to me and say they weren't smoking weed so I said, "Dude, if I had a bag of Funyuns (spl?) you'd want some right now." He started laughing so hard he started choking, wasn't laughing when I called his probation officer.

Yeah, rule number 3 to not getting caught would be do not host huge and noisy pot smoking parties. I would think that would go without saying, but there are a lot of not very bright people in the world. From my perspective as a former criminal defense lawyer, I can say that a very high percentage of people caught committing crimes are stupid and made it pretty easy for the cops. The smart criminals don't often get caught, and when the do, it is because they are unlucky.

Edit: Oh yeah, rule number 4 is not committing two crimes at the same time, e.g. possessing pot and committing a traffic violation (also, that should go without saying...)

Look, I'm very much in favor of legalizing marijuana but let's not act like it isn't addictive too. That's obviously no reason to outlaw a product. If you don't agree that it is addictive and can ruin families and lives, then either you haven't been around enough people smoking it or your an addict yourself. The prospect of the government making a buck on this ought not be a factor, the idea that people can be harmed by it ought not be a factor, this is, and should be a matter of personnal choice and the acceptance of the correrating consequences resulting there from.

Sadly, the idea that one can, of their own free will, make a bad life choice and suffer accordingly has all but vanished from the landscape, thusly, we need a big brother to protect us from our own demons, or so it would seem.

according to most phycologists, weed is classified as "habit forming" not "addictive" such as cigs, alcohol, meth, coke, heroin, ect....

the last time i smoked weed was on monday night, and i haven't had with drawls, i haven't woke up in a sweat, i've made it to work on time, and most notably the reason i can say i'm not addicted to weed(and everyone i know who smokes), is because i don't need it to get through the day... unlike someone who's addicted to cigs, alcohol, coke, meth, or whatever...

Where do you live....................me and some friends are coming over. Don't worry about the loud noise that comes from the flashbang thrown through the door, it's normal.

That's some funny stuff BifRedIowan... :clap

Dude that answered the door tried to lie to me and say they weren't smoking weed so I said, "Dude, if I had a bag of Funyuns (spl?) you'd want some right now." He started laughing so hard he started choking, wasn't laughing when I called his probation officer.

Holy sheet, this made me laugh and I'm not even stoned.

I've dealt with the law a few times so I'm sure I know what it says or what it doesn't say.

Really? So what does that make you a cop, or a fu@*!# lawyer!!! :rulez

Not a lawyer, you know what I do, but I'm fairly familiar with the law as I spent the entire police academy being tested over and over again. Lighten up Francis............

I've dealt with the law a few times so I'm sure I know what it says or what it doesn't say.

Not a lawyer, you know what I do, but I'm fairly familiar with the law as I spent the entire police academy being tested over and over again. Lighten up Francis............

I bet you have seen some crazy sh#t BRI..

I bet you have seen some crazy sh#t BRI..

I have and to be honest with you some of it I laugh my a$$ off about later on after the incidents. :lol:

So, the logical extension of this arguement is, because I got good and drunk last Saturday and didn't wake up jonesing on tuesday, alcohol isn't addictive.

well, no... in the case you say, logic implies that you didn't feel any addictive side effects(unless you woke-up with a hangover). not that it isn't addictive at all.

i know several people who can't make it half a day without a drink or a cig... people that would spend their last couple bucks on a shot of whiskey instead of a sandwich.

i don't know one pot smoker that would rather have weed than food.

Lastly, I have seen this "habit" led to personal ruin. I've seen it led to divorce, loss of good jobs, and imprisionment. These don't seem the reational outcomes of clear thinking indiviuals.

was it marijuana that caused the divorce, or the prejudice against marijuana?

was it marijuana that cause them to lose their job, or the prejudice against marijuana?

was it marijuana, a plant put here by God(Genesis 1, 29... thats the first chapter of the bible for ya) the reason people were imprisoned, or was it the prejudice against marijuana?

I've seen it bring people together, i've seen it create new friendships, i've seen it make relationships stronger(in cases of both people as smokers, and in cases of only one person being a smoker), i've seen it pay for kids' food & cloths, i've seen it give people religious experiences, i've seen it do alot of things... not all of it was good(most has been good though), but none of which merits its prohibition, imo.

Really, prejudice? Not so much.

1 Divorce, My sister was left to raise 5 young kids on her own not because she objected to her husbands pot use but because he was more interested in getting high than seeing his kids, paying the rent or working (or eating a sandwich by the way).

Maybe my prejudice is agaisnt abandonment or perhaps irresponsibility.

2 Loss of Job, I work for the Post Office, unlike 6 fellow former co-workers who decided they couldn't make it through the day without a blunt. They proceeded to go to van in the parking lot and light up during a paid 15 minute break and suprise, suprise the Postal Inspectors Service was waiting for them. Now, I'm sure you'd argue that prejudice was at fault, I tend to see theirs idiotic behavior as the problem.

3. God gave use the makings for gun power and meth also, I'm guessing he hoped we would be a bit more responsible with them. (by the way he also gave you the brain your attacking with pot and alcohol).

4. Prison, break law=go to jail, even if your stoned, that seems to be pretty simple.

In short, people don't suffer from the opinions (prejudices) of others nearly so much as they do from their own actions. The mere fact that you take steps not to get caught shows some small degree of personal reponsibility, if you could expand on that then you could make an honest case instead of reinforceing the notions that smokers are irresponsible (it's everybody's fault but mine) and paranoid (nobody likes me everybodys against me)

Again, I favor legalization, I do not favor excuses.

So, the logical extension of this arguement is, because I got good and drunk last Saturday and didn't wake up jonesing on tuesday, alcohol isn't addictive.

well, no... in the case you say, logic implies that you didn't feel any addictive side effects(unless you woke-up with a hangover). not that it isn't addictive at all.

i know several people who can't make it half a day without a drink or a cig... people that would spend their last couple bucks on a shot of whiskey instead of a sandwich.

Lastly, I have seen this "habit" led to personal ruin. I've seen it led to divorce, loss of good jobs, and imprisionment. These don't seem the reational outcomes of clear thinking indiviuals.

was it marijuana that cause them to lose their job, or the prejudice against marijuana?

was it marijuana, a plant put here by God(Genesis 1, 29... thats the first chapter of the bible for ya) the reason people were imprisoned, or was it the prejudice against marijuana?

I've seen it bring people together, i've seen it create new friendships, i've seen it make relationships stronger(in cases of both people as smokers, and in cases of only one person being a smoker), i've seen it pay for kids' food & cloths, i've seen it give people religious experiences, i've seen it do alot of things... not all of it was good(most has been good though), but none of which merits its prohibition, imo.

1 Divorce, My sister was left to raise 5 young kids on her own not because she objected to her husbands pot use but because he was more interested in getting high than seeing his kids, paying the rent or working (or eating a sandwich by the way).

2 Loss of Job, I work for the Post Office, unlike 6 fellow former co-workers who decided they couldn't make it through the day without a blunt. They proceeded to go to van in the parking lot and light up during a paid 15 minute break and suprise, suprise the Postal Inspectors Service was waiting for them. Now, I'm sure you'd argue that prejudice was at fault, I tend to see theirs idiotic behavior as the problem.

3. God gave use the makings for gun power and meth also, I'm guessing he hoped we would be a bit more responsible with them. (by the way he also gave you the brain your attacking with pot and alcohol).

4. Prison, break law=go to jail, even if your stoned, that seems to be pretty simple.

In short, people don't suffer from the opinions (prejudices) of others nearly so much as they do from their own actions. The mere fact that you take steps not to get caught shows some small degree of personal reponsibility, if you could expand on that then you could make an honest case instead of reinforceing the notions that smokers are irresponsible (it's everybody's fault but mine) and paranoid (nobody likes me everybodys against me)

Great post..

Good Post!!!! :thumbs

You said it yourself, but it looks like your problem is irresponsibility, not pot. Pot is just a means by which some people commit terrible acts of irresponsibility. It is obvious that there are plenty of other ways to be irresponsible.

Your only point about pot that isn't entirely about irresponsibility is point number 4 break law = go to jail. That's just not true everywhere for possession of a small amount of pot. In Nebraska it is a $100 fine. In some places it is treated less severely than that. For a lot of people, the relative risk (e.g., possibility of a $100 fine in the unlikely event of getting caught) does not outweigh the benefits (having a good time) of using pot. A lot of people drive faster than the speed limit, knowing that they might get a $100 ticket if caught, but they are willing to accept that risk. Same thing with pot....

I gotta disagree with you Huskertim.

none of that I see as being a problem with the drug itself. It's the person's responsibility to let it not consume their life. Just as it is with anything that can become addictive: alcohol, work, video games, sex, etc....there are lots of things that have torn families apart or made people lose their jobs.

Like you said...we shouldn't favor excuses. And I don't favor the excuse that it's the drug causing the problems mentioned. It comes down to the decisions of the individual.

You said it yourself, but it looks like your problem is irresponsibility, not pot. Pot is just a means by which some people commit terrible acts of irresponsibility. It is obvious that there are plenty of other ways to be irresponsible.

Your only point about pot that isn't entirely about irresponsibility is point number 4 break law = go to jail. That's just not true everywhere for possession of a small amount of pot. In Nebraska it is a $100 fine. In some places it is treated less severely than that. For a lot of people, the relative risk (e.g., possibility of a $100 fine in the unlikely event of getting caught) does not outweigh the benefits (having a good time) of using pot. A lot of people drive faster than the speed limit, knowing that they might get a $100 ticket if caught, but they are willing to accept that risk. Same thing with pot....

OK, in every state break law= pay penalty. The problem is, most pot heads whine endlessly about how unfair it is and seek excuses why the law doesn't apply to them IE, I'm sick, I'm depress, the man is keeping me down, Hearst empire is keeping me down, my sack itches, etc. Don't try for a minute to act like most (not all) are accepting their penalties.

By the way, this failure to accept due penalties and, I might add, potential health risks as a result of your own actions instead of some grand conspirocy is not only the very definition of irresponsible but also isn't helping your cause.

My argument goes like this. I like pot, I am willing to accept the negative consequences associated with it's use, I feel it should be legal and as a citizen I have a right to change this law as I see fit. (Note; no paranoid theories, no blaming anyone else, no whinning) Now, was that so hard?

I wish people wouldn't smoke...It pollutes my air.

I'm more upset that big insurance companies can legislate it to where I'm forced to wear seat belts...My response to the gazillion radio ads during the Holiday weekend.

(I'll grant you...you're most likely safer with a seat belt...but not always...It's like gambling in Vegas and having big brother not letting you hit on 18...Sorry..pet peeve of mine..My oldest brother died while strapped in because he couldn't get out).

I wouldn't mind legalizing drugs..give the prisons a break and maybe have this country actually produce something for a change...Maybe cull the herd a little while we're at it.

When I was young, I didn't try drugs because of a pact my older siblings made with their friends...As an Adult I stayed away because I didn't want to support some South American drugloard...Now, I'm more afraid of some drugtest keeping me from my next job...But...I tried Pot 3 times...The only effect was a bad smell and one time my eyes felt like they might fall out me head if I leaned forward to get out of some girl's couch..

I just don't get the attraction.

Last weekend my eight year old Son and I went tubing down the Salt River with around a thousand others.

There was so much blunt, it almost reminded me of driving past Cozad or Elm Creek while they were drying Alfalfa.

We got hungry! <_<

It's amazing how many people I meet out here that have done time for something.

I'm still on the fence....Another thing that occurred to me today:

Forgive me for being so naive..I even avoid vitamins and prescription drugs.

But how long does the buzz usually last?

I'm usually the first person wanting Government to stay away from my everyday life, and usually when I think of people smoking pot, they're doing it at home..

But what about that warehouse worker that lights up during their "Smoke break"? Are you going to be comfortable walking by him when he gets on the forklift?

What about the school bus driver lighting a blunt minutes before picking your child up for school?

Or the person trying to share the same lane on the freeway as your Wife who's trying to watch out for the person texting while driving and keeping her eye ready to close for the flash of the photo radar?

How about just cane-ing people that smoke anything in public?