S Derrick Malone

Player: Derrick Malone

Hometown: Colton, CA

Position: S

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 205 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Visit Date: 11/06

Scholarships: Arizona, Arizona State, Idaho, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, UNLV, Utah, UTEP, Washington, Washington State

Favorites: Arizona, Nebraska, Oregon, Washington

COMMITTED TO OREGON

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

Nebraska offers pair from Colton

Nebraska offered Colton, Calif., teammates Derrick Malone and Jonathan Mack scholarships earlier this week.

Malone rushed for 1,063 yards and 11 touchdowns last year, but is an even better prospect at safety. He has the prototypical size and athleticism colleges are looking for. He had a very strong showing working out with the defensive backs at the Nike camp at USC in April. Arizona State and Washington have also offered Malone.

Derrick Malone, the 6-2, 195-pound safety prospect from Colton, Calif., has ten scholarship offers, and a few from the Pac-10. But Malone says other Pac-10 programs have said they still want to evaluate him so he's holding out...

is he thinking about visiting us. or is it a rivals teaser??

He plans on giving us and Washington visits at this point. Others are up in the air.

He plans on giving us and Washington visits at this point. Others are up in the air.

well are washington and nebraska his top or what? i think he'll enjoy us much more than washington. basically im asking does it come down to 2 visits?? us and washington!?

well are washington and nebraska his top or what? i think he'll enjoy us much more than washington. basically im asking does it come down to 2 visits?? us and washington!?

He figures on taking other officials, he's just not sure where yet. Could be waiting to see who else makes a run at him. But I'd say we're definitely in the race.

From Husker Journal:

AUGUST 31, 2009. MESSAGE BOARDS

DERRICK MALONE, DB, 6-2, 205, 4.5, COLTON, CALIFORNIA

"Everyone is pretty much even," says Malone, "The people leading right now are probably Washington and Nebraska but I'm pretty much open to anybody."

Washington First Offer

"Washington was the first school to offer me, I like the that commitment and they are really interested and I might be able to play early there."

"I like Washington's coaching staff and they are on a rebuilding team but I really like the program too. I haven't been up there yet but I will take a visit. Washington coaches want me to come after the football season so they can spend more time with me." Malone said

No NFL Team

"I like that they (Nebraska) are a great institution, they have a great football team. They don't have a NFL team, so the college is like the NFL team. The community really backs them up." Malone said

"I get letters from Nebraska (Carl Pelini) I will probably call them this week to schedule an official visit. I'm not too sure what date I'm going. My teammate Jonathan Mack got an offer from Nebraska, we are trying to go up there together." Malone said

Malone And Mack A Package Deal

"That would be great, we grew up together and knew each other are whole lives. That would be really good to play together and we talk about Nebraska everyday."

Interest From West Coast Teams

"I still hear from California and UCLA." Malone said, "Both said they are waiting for defensive film because I also play running back. They want to see how I make plays for the first couple of games. I will probably do well and they will offer me later."

"I've been a California fan, it's close to home. I grew up here (California) so I would love to play for my home state, location doesn't matter. I've talked to California (coaches) a little bit. They haven't shown much interest lately." Malone said

"I really like UCLA." Malone said, "I went to their junior days. If UCLA offers they would be right up there. UCLA wants me to go to their home games, it's just around the corner."

Great sign that he is high on us AND wants to play with Mack. Hopefully he does come up with Mack, because Mack is almost a sure bet after his short JUCO detour.

I've just always got the feeling that he wants to stay out on the west coast. I hope we get him but I'm not so sure. The visit will obviously go a long way.

Great sign that he is high on us AND wants to play with Mack. Hopefully he does come up with Mack, because Mack is almost a sure bet after his short JUCO detour.

He's talking about his high school teammate Jonathan Mack, who we've also offered.

He's talking about his high school teammate Jonathan Mack, who we've also offered.

My bad, thought it was the Mack from LV.

Says that he will visit NU with his mother, Nov 7th. for the Oklahoma game.

Nice I like the pick......and if we pull out the W against Oklahoma I'll bet that he'll commit right after the game.

Derrick Malone now favors Arizona State, Nebraska and Washington, and adds he also likes Oregon even though the Ducks haven’t offered yet. Malone says he’s close to setting up visits with the Sun Devils, Cornhuskers and Huskies. “I’m supposed to be talking to the coaches about that soon. I may be going to Washington on Nov. 28. That’s the date we’ve talked about...”

Derrick Malone now favors Arizona State, Nebraska and Washington, and adds he also likes Oregon even though the Ducks haven’t offered yet. Malone says he’s close to setting up visits with the Sun Devils, Cornhuskers and Huskies. “I’m supposed to be talking to the coaches about that soon. I may be going to Washington on Nov. 28. That’s the date we’ve talked about...”

UCLA is also after him though they have not offered

Two-way standout Derrick Malone (Colton, Calif./Colton) is one of the elite players in the West this year. He has 11 offers and has set up his first two official visits.

Malone plays both running back and safety for the Yellowjackets, but is being recruited primarily for defense right now. He rushed for over 1,000 yards as a junior and is on pace to duplicate that this year.

"I really don't have a preference between the two to be honest," Malone said. "Most schools like me for safety, but a few are recruiting me as an athlete. I'll play wherever I fit in the best and whatever gets me on the field the quickest."

On the recruiting front, Arizona is the most recent school to throw its hat in the ring.

"Right now, I have two visits lined up," Malone said. "I'm going to Nebraska (Nov. 6) and Washington (Nov. 27). Oregon is close to offering and once they do, I'm going to set up a visit with them as well, those are my top three schools right now.

"I do want to take all five of my trips before making my decision. I'm keeping those last two open for now and really don't know who will get those last two visits. The trips to Nebraska and Washington will be the only two I take during the season. The rest will all have to be after we're done in December and January and then I'll commit sometime in January."

Is Malone dead set on playing safety or could he possibly move down to LB? He seems to have pretty good size and seeing as how we don't have a LB commit or hardly any prospects just something I thought of. Also if Cooper wants to commit and we already have Jackson it would just make sense to fit them all somewhere.

Is Malone dead set on playing safety or could he possibly move down to LB? He seems to have pretty good size and seeing as how we don't have a LB commit or hardly any prospects just something I thought of. Also if Cooper wants to commit and we already have Jackson it would just make sense to fit them all somewhere.

i think we definely need a good safety as the deep ball seems to be something we could always be better at.... i am really hoping to land this guy and wonder how his visit went... with last night... seeing how Bo and Co. has basiclly developed a top 5 defense in two years....

with the crowd

the spriit of the team and everythign in general i have such high hopes

i think we definely need a good safety as the deep ball seems to be something we could always be better at.... i am really hoping to land this guy and wonder how his visit went... with last night... seeing how Bo and Co. has basiclly developed a top 5 defense in two years....

with the crowd

the spriit of the team and everythign in general i have such high hopes

don't know how his visit went, but here is some new video of him playing defense for the first 3 mins.

looks legit. don't think we can go wrong with him or cooper

Well, according to his twitter account, it went well.

Bakkk in Calii.Ä=about 8 hours ago from txt

This shitt is unbelieveable. Sooooooo Amazing... Aahhhhhhh2:00 PM Nov 7th from txt

B)-->

QUOTE(Husker B @ Nov 9 2009, 08:41 AM) 513928[/snapback]

Well, according to his twitter account, it went well.

Bakkk in Calii.Ä=about 8 hours ago from txt

This shitt is unbelieveable. Sooooooo Amazing... Aahhhhhhh2:00 PM Nov 7th from txt

Good news :)

It'll be tough to beat Oregon based on who's recruiting him according to the rivals profile.

Is it Frost?

It'll be tough to beat Oregon based on who's recruiting him according to the rivals profile.

Is it Frost?

See where I highlighter Oregon's status/recruiter.

TomOsborne.jpg

A similar joke went around last year, not sure which recruit it was though.

Is it Frost?

TomOsborne.jpg

It's not a joke, Tom Osborne is Oregon's Special Teams\Tight End coach

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...;ATCLID=1387913

Is it Frost?

TomOsborne.jpg

It's not a joke, Tom Osborne is Oregon's Special Teams\Tight End coach

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...;ATCLID=1387913

I know his name isn't a joke. A number of people commented on us having a hard time pulling a player from Oregon last year considering his lead recruiter. THAT'S the joke I was talking about.

“It was great,” said Derrick Malone about his Nov. 6 trip to Nebraska. “I loved it. I can’t say enough things about it. I thought the whole community was amazing. How they show support and love the team. I can’t believe the support they have. It was great to be in that kind of environment and be part of that.” Malone picked a good weekend to visit Nebraska as the Huskers beat Oklahoma 10-3.

“It was great,” said Derrick Malone about his Nov. 6 trip to Nebraska. “I loved it. I can’t say enough things about it. I thought the whole community was amazing. How they show support and love the team. I can’t believe the support they have. It was great to be in that kind of environment and be part of that.” Malone picked a good weekend to visit Nebraska as the Huskers beat Oklahoma 10-3.

C'mon Derrick, pull the trigger kid! :thumbs

Colton (Calif.) defensive back Derrick Malone took his first official visit of the year to Nebraska two weeks ago. The talented safety was expected to take two more visits this month but will put recruiting on the backburner for now.

"Nebraska was a very good visit," Malone said. "They played Oklahoma and that was a big rivalry game so the atmosphere was crazy. They have the best fans and the support they get is incredible. You could feel the energy from them and they knew who all the recruits were and were chanting our name, it was pretty cool.

"I was watching the defensive backs play the whole game and I like how they use their safeties. That's kind of what I do now, when I'm watching football, I'm trying to see how well I would fit in with that defense. I'm looking at the college game now more like a business than just as a fan and I think I would fit in well at Nebraska.

"Overall, I was very comfortable at Nebraska. They have a nice campus and I like the area as well. It's different than Southern CA obviously, a little smaller but still a very good fit for me."

Malone was scheduled to visit Arizona and Washington later this month but is going to put all his focus on the upcoming playoffs.

"I decided to postpone my visits," Malone said. "I think we have a chance to make a nice run in the playoffs and I don't want to have any distractions right now. All my visits will be after we're done playing and hopefully that won't until December.

"I'm definitely going to visit Arizona and Washington and I just got offered by Oregon. I've liked Oregon for a while now and I was very excited about that offer. So I'm going to visit Oregon and those are really the main four schools I'm focusing on now."

Another player the Ducks look very good for is Colton (Calif.) athlete Derrick Malone. Malone has visited Washington, Nebraska and Arizona State and is taking an official to Oregon this week in time for the big Civil War game with Oregon State.

Malone has made no secret of how excited he was when the Ducks offered just a few weeks ago and it would not be a surprise if he jumps on the offer before heading back home this weekend. Malone plays safety and running back at Colton but could actually play linebacker in the Ducks defense.