S Derrick Malone

Nebraska offers pair from Colton

Nebraska offered Colton, Calif., teammates Derrick Malone and Jonathan Mack scholarships earlier this week.

Malone rushed for 1,063 yards and 11 touchdowns last year, but is an even better prospect at safety. He has the prototypical size and athleticism colleges are looking for. He had a very strong showing working out with the defensive backs at the Nike camp at USC in April. Arizona State and Washington have also offered Malone.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is he thinking about visiting us. or is it a rivals teaser??

He plans on giving us and Washington visits at this point. Others are up in the air.

well are washington and nebraska his top or what? i think he'll enjoy us much more than washington. basically im asking does it come down to 2 visits?? us and washington!?

He figures on taking other officials, he's just not sure where yet. Could be waiting to see who else makes a run at him. But I'd say we're definitely in the race.

• 1 month later...

From Husker Journal:

AUGUST 31, 2009. MESSAGE BOARDS

DERRICK MALONE, DB, 6-2, 205, 4.5, COLTON, CALIFORNIA

"Everyone is pretty much even," says Malone, "The people leading right now are probably Washington and Nebraska but I'm pretty much open to anybody."

Washington First Offer

"Washington was the first school to offer me, I like the that commitment and they are really interested and I might be able to play early there."

"I like Washington's coaching staff and they are on a rebuilding team but I really like the program too. I haven't been up there yet but I will take a visit. Washington coaches want me to come after the football season so they can spend more time with me." Malone said

No NFL Team

"I like that they (Nebraska) are a great institution, they have a great football team. They don't have a NFL team, so the college is like the NFL team. The community really backs them up." Malone said

"I get letters from Nebraska (Carl Pelini) I will probably call them this week to schedule an official visit. I'm not too sure what date I'm going. My teammate Jonathan Mack got an offer from Nebraska, we are trying to go up there together." Malone said

Malone And Mack A Package Deal

"That would be great, we grew up together and knew each other are whole lives. That would be really good to play together and we talk about Nebraska everyday."

Interest From West Coast Teams

"I still hear from California and UCLA." Malone said, "Both said they are waiting for defensive film because I also play running back. They want to see how I make plays for the first couple of games. I will probably do well and they will offer me later."

"I've been a California fan, it's close to home. I grew up here (California) so I would love to play for my home state, location doesn't matter. I've talked to California (coaches) a little bit. They haven't shown much interest lately." Malone said

"I really like UCLA." Malone said, "I went to their junior days. If UCLA offers they would be right up there. UCLA wants me to go to their home games, it's just around the corner."