CB Urell Johnson

Player: Urell Johnson

Hometown: New Orleans, LA

Position: CB

Height: 6'1''

Weight: 185 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Baylor, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, LSU, Maryland, Nebraska, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Utah, Virginia

Favorites: Colorado, Illinois, Texas Tech

COMMITTED TO TEXAS TECH

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

• 4 weeks later...

CB Urell Johnson discovers cousin connection with assistant Wilson

By Josh Ward (Contact)

Originally published 06:02 p.m., June 20, 2009

Updated 06:09 p.m., June 20, 2009

Get Copyright Permissions Want to use this article? Click here for options!

Urell Johnson didn't know he would run into a family member in Knoxville this weekend.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound cornerback from O. Perry Walker High School in New Orleans took part in UT's summer camp, which started Thursday and concluded Saturday.

Johnson, who has a scholarship offer from the Vols, has already developed a relationship with UT receivers coach Frank Wilson, who used to be the coach at O. Perry Walker.

Johnson said he discovered this weekend that he and Wilson are actually cousins.

"We were talking and family names came up and we found that out (Friday)," Johnson said. "I was shocked but I've been knowing him for a long time."

Johnson didn't know much about UT until he made his first trip this weekend.

He said he was impressed with the atmosphere surrounding the program.

"They're nice coaches and it's a nice campus," he said. "I'd love to play for them one day."

One of Johnson's teammates already plans to play for UT.

Defensive end Anthony Johnson (no relation) has already committed to the Vols for the 2011 signing class.

Urell Johnson said he’s heard plenty about UT from Anthony.

“It’s his dream team right here,” Urell Johnson said. “He really wants me to come up here with him. We’ll just keep working hard and see how things work out.”

Johnson said he wants to take his time before he commits. He said he'll likely make a decision soon after his senior season.

Johnson also has scholarship offers from LSU, Virginia, Texas Tech, Nebraska and Kansas State.

"I'm pretty open-minded right now," he said. (Link)

• 2 weeks later...

New Orleans (La.) O. Perry Walker High School cornerback Urell Johnson (6-foot-1, 185 pounds, 4.5 seconds) was one of several Louisiana prospects to visit Charlottesville last week to take a closer look at Virginia. While the other recruits from the Pelican State participated at Virginia's one-day camp, Johnson came to UVa with four-star quarterback Munchie Legaux to meet with the Virginia staff and see what UVa has to offer.

Urell Johnson has reached double-digit offers

By Sonny Shipp

Louisiana Recruiting Analyst

Posted Jul 1, 2009

O. Perry Walker in New Orleans, La. produces major college football talent as much as any other school in South Louisiana. The Chargers have a few prospects that are piling on the offers for 2010 and one is cornerback Urell Johnson.

Urell Johnson made his mark on the field last season for O. Perry Walker and established himself as a lockdown defender when he picked off three passes and recorded 40 tackles.

Johnson (5-11, 175, 4.5) gives himself that label and it seems that there are a number of college coaches who agree with him.

“I can match up with the team’s best receiver and my coaches feel good about putting me on an island or putting me at safety,” Johnson said. “That’s what coaches have said they like about me the most.”

The scholarship offers that Johnson has from the likes of Tennessee, Virginia, Baylor, Colorado, Nebraska, Southern Miss, Texas Tech, Louisiana Tech, Virginia, Kansas State and Utah indicates that there are plenty of suitors that would like to land the three-star cornerback prospect.

One other school of interest on Johnson’s radar is LSU and he feels that he impressed the coaches when he made his way to Baton Rouge in June for LSU’s camp.

“I worked out for Coach [Ron] Cooper [defensive backs coach] and he said he liked what he saw and that I did good,” Johnson said. “He said they wanted to offer me. But I never got the chance to talk much with Coach [Les] Miles while I was there.”

Johnson hopes to get more information on the status of his offer during the coming weeks and months when he makes a return trip to Baton Rouge – either unofficially or officially.

That will be one of many trips that the country’s 79th ranked cornerback prospect will have taken over the course of the recruiting process.

“I went to LSU’s camp then I just got back from Virginia,” Johnson said. “I enjoyed being up in Virginia and being with the players and coaches. [Grad Assistant] Coach [Devon] Fitzsimmons is from the New Orleans area so me and him bonded real fast. Then I met with [head] Coach [Al] Groh before I left and he just let me know that they were holding a spot for me. That was good to hear because I don’t want to rush into this decision.”

Johnson has taken his time with sifting through the schools that have expressed an interest in him and at this point in time he doesn’t seem close to making a decision.

“You go to places like LSU and Virginia and see everything then you wonder what other schools have,” explained Johnson. “I still feel like I’m wide open with all of this.

“LSU is the hometown team and they got it going on over there, but I want to see what other schools have to offer when I take my official visits. I want to see who all offers and who really wants me then I’ll begin to focus on certain schools.”

FREE article on SCOUT

Urell Johnson has reached double-digit offers

By Sonny Shipp

Louisiana Recruiting Analyst

Posted Jul 1, 2009

O. Perry Walker in New Orleans, La. produces major college football talent as much as any other school in South Louisiana. The Chargers have a few prospects that are piling on the offers for 2010 and one is cornerback Urell Johnson.

Urell Johnson made his mark on the field last season for O. Perry Walker and established himself as a lockdown defender when he picked off three passes and recorded 40 tackles.

Johnson (5-11, 175, 4.5) gives himself that label and it seems that there are a number of college coaches who agree with him.

“I can match up with the team’s best receiver and my coaches feel good about putting me on an island or putting me at safety,” Johnson said. “That’s what coaches have said they like about me the most.”

The scholarship offers that Johnson has from the likes of Tennessee, Virginia, Baylor, Colorado, Nebraska, Southern Miss, Texas Tech, Louisiana Tech, Virginia, Kansas State and Utah indicates that there are plenty of suitors that would like to land the three-star cornerback prospect.

One other school of interest on Johnson’s radar is LSU and he feels that he impressed the coaches when he made his way to Baton Rouge in June for LSU’s camp.

“I worked out for Coach [Ron] Cooper [defensive backs coach] and he said he liked what he saw and that I did good,” Johnson said. “He said they wanted to offer me. But I never got the chance to talk much with Coach [Les] Miles while I was there.”

Johnson hopes to get more information on the status of his offer during the coming weeks and months when he makes a return trip to Baton Rouge – either unofficially or officially.

That will be one of many trips that the country’s 79th ranked cornerback prospect will have taken over the course of the recruiting process.

“I went to LSU’s camp then I just got back from Virginia,” Johnson said. “I enjoyed being up in Virginia and being with the players and coaches. [Grad Assistant] Coach [Devon] Fitzsimmons is from the New Orleans area so me and him bonded real fast. Then I met with [head] Coach [Al] Groh before I left and he just let me know that they were holding a spot for me. That was good to hear because I don’t want to rush into this decision.”

Johnson has taken his time with sifting through the schools that have expressed an interest in him and at this point in time he doesn’t seem close to making a decision.

“You go to places like LSU and Virginia and see everything then you wonder what other schools have,” explained Johnson. “I still feel like I’m wide open with all of this.

“LSU is the hometown team and they got it going on over there, but I want to see what other schools have to offer when I take my official visits. I want to see who all offers and who really wants me then I’ll begin to focus on certain schools.”

FREE article on SCOUT

His heart seems to be set on LSU, like every other kid from Louisiana.

I'm still hoping that Curtis Carter is an exception

• 2 weeks later...

Decommitted from Southern Miss.

Another kid caught up in the moment.

Top three of Texas Tech, K-state, and Southern Miss.

Glad to hear he decommitted from So Miss.

Sad to hear we aren't in his top three.

I really like this kid, and this is the type of CB's I'd like to see in the defensive backfield for the Huskers. 6 ft+, 4.5 speed, and above all....DREADLOCKS!!!