CB Urell Johnson

Considering his offer-list that is a pretty strange top3.

I would have to agree with that. Seems like the kind of player that NU could get hot and heavy on and maybe lure him away after getting an official during game day. You have to wonder if the coaches are not putting a full court on him yet while waiting on other candidates.

O. Perry Walker cornerback Urell Johnson tears ACL

Pierce W. Huff, Times-Picayune, July 30, 2009 12:53 p.m.

O. Perry Walker football coach Emanuel Powell said senior Urell Johnson, the 32nd rated cornerback in the nation according to rivals.com, will be out for at least three to four months with a torn anterior cruciate knee ligament.

Powell said Johnson suffered the injury while he was running and jumping during a drill in a team workout about two weeks ago. Powell said it wasn't a full tear of the ligament, and he is optimistic that Johnson can play this season.

Powell said Johnson had the surgery to repair the ligament and everything went well. He also said Johnson has started his long rehabilitation process.

Johnson, who is 6 foot 1, 185 pounds, committed to Southern Mississippi earlier this month, but later decommitted.

Powell said that despite the injury, Johnson continues to be recruited by Southern Mississippi, Texas Tech, Virginia, Nebraska and Tennessee.

Link

Rivals: New Orleans (La.) O. Perry Walker High School cornerback Urell Johnson (6-foot-1, 185 pounds, 4.5 seconds) is one of the top defenders in the Pelican State. Johnson surprised many with his decision to commit to Southern Miss in July. The three-star cornerback had a quick change of heart, however, and re-opened his recruitment two weeks later. Virginia was a school of interest before Johnson's decision and they are once again.

I'm not so concerned with Bo or NU I'm just wondering what these recruits are seeing in TT. I guess it proves mine and a lot of others theories that one year could propel a team into the recruiting spotlight.

Besides Tim Tebow and Florida, Texas Tech probably got more media (ESPN) coverage than any other team. Mike Leach is ESPN's favorite coach, and everyone loves to see 60 points scored every game.

Tech appears to be an up and coming team (along with Okie St.), and NU is still an unknown. Hopefully that changes during (of after) this year.

• 5 months later...