LB Josh Shirley

Player: Josh Shirley

Hometown: Fontana, CA

Position: LB

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 225 lbs.

40 time: 4.53

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Colorado State, Fresno State, Miami, Nebraska, Nevada, Notre Dame, Oregon, San Diego State, Stanford, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington

Favorites: Arizona, Miami, USC, Washington

COMMITTED TO UCLA

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Athlete Josh Shirley (Fontana, Calif./Kaiser) has narrowed his list of colleges to a final eight and will begin to set up his official visits over the next few weeks.

Shirley is a tremendously talented player who is being recruited at both linebacker and defensive end. He has played primarily defensive end at the high school level, but his size and athleticism make him a natural fit for linebacker as well.

"My top eight schools, in no order, are USC, UCLA, Washington, Arizona, Tennessee, Miami, Notre Dame and Cal," Shirley said. "I play to take my five official visits to all the out of state schools and then unofficially visit USC, UCLA and Cal.

"I haven't set up any trip dates yet, but I plan to real soon here. I would like to take half of them during the season and then the rest of the visits after our season is over."

Shirley said he has a couple of early leaders, but is keeping things open as much as he can.

"USC and UCLA are a little ahead of everyone right now," Shirley said. "I haven't had a chance to get out to a practice yet but I'm planning to go to UCLA's scrimmage this Saturday along with a few other players from the area.

"It's still early though and a lot can change. I know the most about USC and UCLA, so that's why they're up there but my visits will tell me a lot. I'm looking forward to going through the process here and finding the best school for me."

Not any new news, but rivals came out and posted his top eight which obviously we didn't make. Just another LB that is off our list. It almost looks like Favors (who looks like he is headed to OU) or Burnett are our only two legit prospects at LB.

LB is not a position of need IMO. Would it be nice to take one or two for depth? Yes. Do we need to take one or two this year? No.

Not any new news, but rivals came out and posted his top eight which obviously we didn't make. Just another LB that is off our list. It almost looks like Favors (who looks like he is headed to OU) or Burnett are our only two legit prospects at LB.

LB is not a position of need IMO. Would it be nice to take one or two for depth? Yes. Do we need to take one or two this year? No.

took the words right outta my mouth

I happen to think that we do have to take at least one or two LB's every year. Koehler and Dillard will be gone after this year, what happens if Lawrence gets hurt again this year and is done for good? Maybe Holt or Williams don't come back to form after their rehab. Maybe Whaley doesn't get a firm grasp of the playbook. That leaves us with May, Compton, Martin, Fisher and Kreikemeier to man all of the positions. I realize that we could go more nickel if necessary but it would be nice to have at least two frosh to come in every year, learn the system and compete for playing time much like Martin is doing this year.

Here's all the LB's from the roster:

30 Stoddard, Graham LB 6-02 230 RFr. Lincoln, Neb. (Southwest)

35 Holt, Matt LB 6-00 200 So. Lee's Summitt, Mo. (West)

36 May, Mathew LB 6-01 215 So. Imperial, Neb. (Chase County)

37 Lewis, Tyrone LB 6-02 195 Fr. Lincoln, Neb. (North Star)

38 Camarata, Joseph LB 5-10 225 RFr. Overland Park, Kan. (Rockhurst)

40 Lawrence, Blake LB 6-03 225 Jr. Shawnee Mission, Kan. (Shawnee Mission West)

41 Grove, Thomas LB 6-02 225 Jr. Arlington, Neb. (Arlington)

42 Fisher, Sean LB 6-06 230 RFr. Omaha, Neb. (Millard North)

44 Kreikemeier, Micah LB 6-03 220 RFr. West Point, Neb. (Central Catholic)

45 Whaley, Alonzo LB 6-01 225 RFr. Madisonville, Texas (Madisonville)

46 Martin, Eric LB 6-02 215 Fr. Moreno Valley, Calif. (Rancho Verde)

48 Williams, Chris LB 6-00 220 Fr. Abilene, Texas (Abilene)

49 Manninger, Matt LB 6-01 220 RFr. Omaha, Neb. (Creighton Prep)

51 Compton, Will LB 6-02 225 RFr. Bonne Terre, Mo. (North County)

52 Dillard, Phillip LB 6-01 240 Sr. Tulsa, Okla. (Jenks)

54 Koehler, Colton LB 6-01 230 Sr. Harvard, Neb. (Nebraska Wesleyan) (Harvard)

56 Paulsen, Devin LB 6-02 210 Fr. Lincoln, Neb. (Lincoln Christian)

57 Hron, Mitch LB 6-02 220 Fr. Schuyler, Neb.

59 Starkebaum, Colby LB 6-01 195 Fr. Sterling, Colo. (Sterling)

That breaks down to:

6 true FR

7 redshirt FR

2 SO

2 JR

2 SR

That's a really large number of underclassmen. I'd have to agree we don't really NEED LB's in this recruiting class, but we'd certainly LIKE 1 or 2. And if that's the case, then IMO we should hold out for the best.

I don't know about this. Given there are three LB positions on defense, I would think taking at least one LB in each class would be ideal. Of course life doesn't always work out the way, but I would be pretty shocked if at least one LB doesn't sign on to this class.

As a matter of fact, after a little research, the last time NU took only one LB was 1986. And I can't find a class without at least one LB recruit in the last 40 years. Seems unlikely to me that not one LB in the country (not to mention Nebraska) would want to come play for Bo & Co.

Here's all the LB's from the roster:

30 Stoddard, Graham LB 6-02 230 RFr. Lincoln, Neb. (Southwest)

35 Holt, Matt LB 6-00 200 So. Lee's Summitt, Mo. (West)

36 May, Mathew LB 6-01 215 So. Imperial, Neb. (Chase County)

37 Lewis, Tyrone LB 6-02 195 Fr. Lincoln, Neb. (North Star)

38 Camarata, Joseph LB 5-10 225 RFr. Overland Park, Kan. (Rockhurst)

40 Lawrence, Blake LB 6-03 225 Jr. Shawnee Mission, Kan. (Shawnee Mission West)

41 Grove, Thomas LB 6-02 225 Jr. Arlington, Neb. (Arlington)

42 Fisher, Sean LB 6-06 230 RFr. Omaha, Neb. (Millard North)

44 Kreikemeier, Micah LB 6-03 220 RFr. West Point, Neb. (Central Catholic)

45 Whaley, Alonzo LB 6-01 225 RFr. Madisonville, Texas (Madisonville)

46 Martin, Eric LB 6-02 215 Fr. Moreno Valley, Calif. (Rancho Verde)

48 Williams, Chris LB 6-00 220 Fr. Abilene, Texas (Abilene)

49 Manninger, Matt LB 6-01 220 RFr. Omaha, Neb. (Creighton Prep)

51 Compton, Will LB 6-02 225 RFr. Bonne Terre, Mo. (North County)

52 Dillard, Phillip LB 6-01 240 Sr. Tulsa, Okla. (Jenks)

54 Koehler, Colton LB 6-01 230 Sr. Harvard, Neb. (Nebraska Wesleyan) (Harvard)

56 Paulsen, Devin LB 6-02 210 Fr. Lincoln, Neb. (Lincoln Christian)

57 Hron, Mitch LB 6-02 220 Fr. Schuyler, Neb.

59 Starkebaum, Colby LB 6-01 195 Fr. Sterling, Colo. (Sterling)

That breaks down to:

6 true FR

7 redshirt FR

2 SO

2 JR

2 SR

That's a really large number of underclassmen. I'd have to agree we don't really NEED LB's in this recruiting class, but we'd certainly LIKE 1 or 2. And if that's the case, then IMO we should hold out for the best.

Damn, there are a LOT of Freshman on the roster!

I don't know about this. Given there are three LB positions on defense, I would think taking at least one LB in each class would be ideal. Of course life doesn't always work out the way, but I would be pretty shocked if at least one LB doesn't sign on to this class.

As a matter of fact, after a little research, the last time NU took only one LB was 1986. And I can't find a class without at least one LB recruit in the last 40 years. Seems unlikely to me that not one LB in the country (not to mention Nebraska) would want to come play for Bo & Co.

When was the last time we redshirted all of our incoming LB's? I think that kind of skews this a bit.

When was the last time we redshirted all of our incoming LB's? I think that kind of skews this a bit.

Well not all of them redshirted, May and Holt played. I hear what your saying, and I agree when you have 13 Frosh LBs, whether RS or not, you aren't going to be in desperate need at the position. Still, it doesn't hurt to stock up on bodies because you never know who will get injured, who might transfer, or who plain won't live up to their potential.