CB Derron Smith

per Scout: As a 2008 junior at Banning (Calif.) was named Defensive MVP of the Mountain Pass League and Team MVP. Was named First Team All-CIF and All-Area Honorable Mention. Rushed for 1,094 yards and eight touchdowns, passed for 1,214 yards and nine touchdowns. Defensively, had 87 tackles, nine for loss, three interceptions and a touchdown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

JUNE 26, 2009. PREP STAR

DERRON SMITH, CB, 5-11, 175, 4.5, BANNING, CALIFORNIA

Derron has offers from Nebraska, San Diego State, UNLV and New Mexico.

Weekend Trip To Washington

“I’m going to Washington this weekend” says Smith, “I talked to Martin and he said if I go up there and do what I’m supposed to do I’ll be good and should have an offer. Coach Martin is really excited about me coming up there he can’t wait. He wants to show me off to all the coaches and maybe get an offer out there. That’s what I’m hoping for.”

“I like Washington it seems like Coach Sarkisian is getting it right. I haven’t been up there yet that’s why I’m going up there for the camp and talk to the coaches.” Smith said

Husker Offer A Shocker

“I was shocked to get an offer from them (Nebraska). My parents were shocked too, they are proud of me.” Smith said, “Nebraska came down by my school last two months ago and looked at my film, talked to my coach and a week later they offered me.”

“I was getting a letter from Coach Bo and Coach Carl (Pelini) every other day now I get one once a week. I’ve talked to Carl Pelini by e-mail a little bit. I’m going to try to make there (Nebraska) this summer before it gets cold.” Smith said

“Nebraska has great tradition,” Smith said, “They have a lot of Academic All-American’s, I like that and they have a very big fan base.”

San Diego State First Offer

“I was surprised to get an offer from them (San Diego State). It was my first offer. When I talked to coach Rocky Long he looked at my film and liked it and the head coach (Hoke) liked my film too and decided to offer me.”

“I’ve been to San Diego State they have a nice campus, the coaches are upbeat for practices and they have nice facilities. I like them quite a bit.” Smith said

“Last week a few of my buddies on my football team went to San Diego State for a full contact camp. I went down with them just to watch and talk to the coaches again and look at the campus.” Smith said

“I’ve been out to Vegas for the Badger Sports 7 on 7 but I haven’t been to the campus that much. I might visit UNLV it depends on the other schools that come in the picture then decide what schools I want to take officials too. The closer schools I will take unofficials.” Smith said

UCLA Might Offer

“I went to UCLA spring game it was a great experience.” Smith said, “I’ve been there before for junior days. They have a nice campus, the coaches are cool and I got to watch a little bit of practice.”

“UCLA didn’t say if they would offer. I talked to coach Moses and they want to see how I do my senior year. They seem like they (UCLA) are pretty much interested.” Smith added

“Arizona State day camp was great. I got to see the campus a little bit. Actually I was surprised with all their practice facilities, indoor facilities. Arizona State has all their medical staff in the stadium. Arizona State coaches said they will look at my senior year film to see if I get an offer later.” Smith said

“I went to USC one day camp it was nice,” says Smith, “We got to practice on the practice field. All the coaches were there and I got to talk to them. USC like UCLA said they wanted to wait to see how I do my senior year. I like USC it’s like Nebraska a lot of tradition.”

The Right Fit

“Early playing time is not number one on my list,” says Smith, “I’m looking for a nice university, good coaches that I feel home with. Somewhere I can see myself for four or five years. Academics is important to me, almost every Division I school in the Big 10, Big 12 have good academics.”

“Most likely I’ll take all my five officials unless something drastic happens with a school that blows me away and I feel that’s the place. My parents will go with me on all my visits. I don’t have a leader at this point. I would say all the schools that offered me have the early edge.” Smith said

What The Coaches Are Saying

“They like my knowledge of the game. They say I have good feet, quickness, ball skills and a sure tackler.” Smith said

Husker Journal Link

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

Banning (Calif.) athlete Derron Smith said on Thursday that he will not be visiting Nebraska on Sept. 11 as originally planned. Instead, he plans to reschedule that trip later this fall so that he can travel to Lincoln with a friend who is also being recruited by the Huskers.

I suppose that is... better news?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“I’ve sent some of my senior film already to Washington, Arizona, Arizona State and Fresno,” Derron Smith said. “I’m just waiting to hear back and make sure they got it.” Smith says he’d like to wait and see if he gets any more offers before he makes a decision. "Hopefully, I’ll get some more offers within the next few weeks. I need to take my visits and see the campus and what the lifestyle...”

• 2 weeks later...