BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

'Bear1979' - You give Mizzou too much credit. They had 2 good seasons in a row for the first time under Pinkel. They will not have 3. They will lose to Nebraska handily, and very likely to Baylor. This Mizzou team will resemble their 2004 team.

yeah. what he said.

Well what he said was stupid. For someone who comes to this board crying about giving Baylor respect and learning about their team you sure are short sighted.

Last year was the 4th bowl game in a row under GP and 5th in 6 years. I think thats just a little better than two good seasons for the first time ever. Maybe just maybe baylor fan we could have our 6th good season in the last 7. I dont know though,you, a Baylor fan, is smack talking, you might know better than the rest of us. But then again what would you know about bowl games and winning seasons....

BTW smart guy, that 2004 team was ranked and absolutly feel apart. So if you said that to imply that team sucked, you have no idea what you are talking about.

P.S. 2004 - MU 30 - Baylor 10. I wonder what you would give up in life just to have Baylor go 5-6....

P.S.S. Dont talk smack with your crappy team on my Tigers when I am having a bad day. I might just bite ya. :madash

Geez....settle down. You call critcism smack talk? This is just a down year for Mizzou. You lost some great talent. I was a big fan of Chase Daniel since he's from my hometown, but w/out his smarts at QB, and breaking in a new QB along with a slew of other players....how can you be so optimistic? I asked the Huskers the same question! The other big problem w/ Mizzou is them having to break in 2 new coordinators. Mizzou will be back in the North title hunt again, just not next year.

I said your team will resemble 2004 b/c it will be competitive, but will likely reach 5 or 6 wins with your schedule. Quit your Baylor bashing. You could possibly eat your words this next season, as you almost did last season. If a way less talented Baylor team nearly beat a more talented Mizzou team last year....then a much more improved Baylor team with 20 returning starters has an even better chance of victory against your 2009 Mizzou Tigers. That is simple logic. Till then I'll just sit back and enjoy this season for once. :nanalama

Put Baylor in the North and our bowl drought wouldn't have lasted 5 year much less 15. We used to call Kansas a guaranteed win until 2007. That changed quickly. Programs shift in power every decade. Baylor should be relevant again for a while like we were in the 80's.

What is this ignorance?

Let's go to the data...

1998 (@Waco) 28-12 Baylor, your biggest victory over us since the Big 12, by a touchdown.

1999 45-10 KU wins... We whipped you. We were not een very good back then,

2002 (@Waco) 35-32 You did get us, by a whole field goal at home. It does suck to lose to Baylor, but doesnt look like your guys should have just chalked this game up to me...

2003 28-21 KU wins... in a closer game

2006 (@Waco) 36-35 Baylor wins... Now I did not watch this game cause I was out of the country on business, but from what I remember we were whipping you and Meier (our QB then) got hurt and you rallied. Won by a point. Sure fire win?

2007 58-10 KU wins... Of course we destroyed you again in Lawrence, but you did say this was the year we were not easy money...

So as you can see, since we have started playing you in the conference, you have won every game in Waco, and then gone to Lawrnece and lost each time. Also please note, you always win a close game, no more than a touchdown, and no matter how bad we have been, we beat you by that or a LOT more. I will grant you the early years of the Big 12 were bad years for us, but how you think they were automatic wins I cannot begin to understand. Your comment is jibber jabber...

After reading through the above posts, I find it quite interesting that so many find fault and like to bang on the Nebraska D!! Not just players, but the entire D. So far I've seen posts stating they give up too many points, they're too young, there's no speed, offensive output is too much... the list is endless. As if the lack of defense is going to be a weak point on this team.

When one actually looks at the stats , Nebraska finished 1st in the North in total defense and 2nd overall in the Big 12. Add to this, the return of the core players, better knowledge of the schemes and improved speed and talent at linebacker and in the secondary, and you're looking at what should be a much improved defensive side this year. That's not to say that they still cannot be beat, but as it is well known, defense wins championships and the Huskers will have a good one. Which is the exact reason why Pelini was brought in.

We're also going to see a drop in offensive numbers this year in the Big 12, especially in the North. (With the exception of OU and Texas in the South) This will bode well for the Huskers who are already one of the top defensive teams in the league. Kansas, which looks to be the top offensive team in the North is returning a few key offensive players, but is also lacking an O-line and a defense. As a team that finished 7th in the Big 12 in total offensive last year, they'll hardly be the explosive juggernaut KU fans are predicting. Missouri is in the same boat, after losing Booger, Maclin, and Coffman on offense and a slew of defensive talent they have a lot to make up for. This sets the Huskers up well and if they click on offense, not only will they be a force in the North, but look for them to push the South winner for the league title as well.

Offensively, the Huskers will employ a steady stream of power running, play-action, rollouts, option, screens and an occasional deep ball. Not so much either the west coast or the spread, but a simpler, condensed version of both with a touch of classic smashmouth. This will play to the strengths of Lee, as well as the strengths of the entire Husker offense. Helu, Castille, Mendoza, Paul, Holt, Brooks, the corps of tight ends and the entire O-line have way too much experience and speed to falter with this type of game plan. Add in the newcomers and things appear much brighter than the haters would have you believe. If Lee gets comfortable early, look for Watson to open up the playbook a little, which will make the team even more explosive and harder to defend.

This is going to be a great year boys. Look for the Huskers to improve upon last year, especially on the defensive side of the ball. With that being said here's my picks for the North. GBR!!

1. Nebraska

2. Missouri

3. Kansas

4. Colorado

5. Iowa State

6. K-State

yes, your vaunted D. Here is the most telling stat from the B12 last year

Scoring D.

Nub 28.54 p/game

KU 28.85 p/game

and remember you had baylor as compared to Texas on the schedule. You can say all you want about how nubs D is going to be great and you were way better then KU's D last year. I don't see it, you gave up just as many points, with an easier schedule. You return 7 on D we return 7 on D.

My take:

Kansas - Soild offense. Returning starting QB and WR's are a huge key.

Nebraska - Unproven QB and WR's prevent me from picking NU to win the North. No question the defense looked great against Clemson. OTOH, Clemson isn't a pass happy, spread offense.

Colorado - it's do or die for Hawkins with 17 starters returning and a favorable non-con schedule.

Missouri - Only 10 starters returning and a new OC & DC. Big step back.

Iowa St - I keep hearing local talking heads say that Chizik didn't leave the cupboard bare. Better make some progress this year as next year, OU, UT, and TT are back on the schedule as well as brutual non-con schedule in 09 and 10.

Kansas St - what a mess.

My take:

Nebraska - Unproven QB and WR's prevent me from picking NU to win the North. No question the defense looked great against Clemson. OTOH, Clemson isn't a pass happy, spread offense.

This.

And clemson finished the year 4-5

And you beat MU when they finished 1-2. so?

My take:

This.

And you beat MU when they finished 1-2. so?

our d held them under 52. :box

My take:

This.

Do some research before you post. After the Bowden mess that started the season, Clemson finished 7-6, including 3-1 over their last 4. Not to mention a 31-14 ass kicking of in state rival and SCC team South Carolina.

Clemson would have destroyed KU if they had played in a bowl game.

'Bear1979' - You give Mizzou too much credit. They had 2 good seasons in a row for the first time under Pinkel. They will not have 3. They will lose to Nebraska handily, and very likely to Baylor. This Mizzou team will resemble their 2004 team.

yeah. what he said.

Well what he said was stupid. For someone who comes to this board crying about giving Baylor respect and learning about their team you sure are short sighted.

Last year was the 4th bowl game in a row under GP and 5th in 6 years. I think thats just a little better than two good seasons for the first time ever. Maybe just maybe baylor fan we could have our 6th good season in the last 7. I dont know though,you, a Baylor fan, is smack talking, you might know better than the rest of us. But then again what would you know about bowl games and winning seasons....

BTW smart guy, that 2004 team was ranked and absolutly feel apart. So if you said that to imply that team sucked, you have no idea what you are talking about.

P.S. 2004 - MU 30 - Baylor 10. I wonder what you would give up in life just to have Baylor go 5-6....

P.S.S. Dont talk smack with your crappy team on my Tigers when I am having a bad day. I might just bite ya. :madash

Geez....settle down. You call critcism smack talk? This is just a down year for Mizzou. You lost some great talent. I was a big fan of Chase Daniel since he's from my hometown, but w/out his smarts at QB, and breaking in a new QB along with a slew of other players....how can you be so optimistic? I asked the Huskers the same question! The other big problem w/ Mizzou is them having to break in 2 new coordinators. Mizzou will be back in the North title hunt again, just not next year.

I said your team will resemble 2004 b/c it will be competitive, but will likely reach 5 or 6 wins with your schedule. Quit your Baylor bashing. You could possibly eat your words this next season, as you almost did last season. If a way less talented Baylor team nearly beat a more talented Mizzou team last year....then a much more improved Baylor team with 20 returning starters has an even better chance of victory against your 2009 Mizzou Tigers. That is simple logic. Till then I'll just sit back and enjoy this season for once. :nanalama

Put Baylor in the North and our bowl drought wouldn't have lasted 5 year much less 15. We used to call Kansas a guaranteed win until 2007. That changed quickly. Programs shift in power every decade. Baylor should be relevant again for a while like we were in the 80's.

What is this ignorance?

Let's go to the data...

1998 (@Waco) 28-12 Baylor, your biggest victory over us since the Big 12, by a touchdown.

1999 45-10 KU wins... We whipped you. We were not een very good back then,

2002 (@Waco) 35-32 You did get us, by a whole field goal at home. It does suck to lose to Baylor, but doesnt look like your guys should have just chalked this game up to me...

2003 28-21 KU wins... in a closer game

2006 (@Waco) 36-35 Baylor wins... Now I did not watch this game cause I was out of the country on business, but from what I remember we were whipping you and Meier (our QB then) got hurt and you rallied. Won by a point. Sure fire win?

2007 58-10 KU wins... Of course we destroyed you again in Lawrence, but you did say this was the year we were not easy money...

So as you can see, since we have started playing you in the conference, you have won every game in Waco, and then gone to Lawrnece and lost each time. Also please note, you always win a close game, no more than a touchdown, and no matter how bad we have been, we beat you by that or a LOT more. I will grant you the early years of the Big 12 were bad years for us, but how you think they were automatic wins I cannot begin to understand. Your comment is jibber jabber...

I guess that was just my perception when I attended Baylor. I was there from 98 to 02, therefore the Kansas game was one of the few games I got excited about b/c it was the only conference game i attended that resulted in a win. Either way....our programs at the time were comparable....both historically as well as our talent level during the 90's. We were both pretty good during the early 90's and both sucked during the late 90's. You just passed us in the overall win column as a program a few years ago. KU has a great program now...I just picked you guys to win the North for God sakes! (see previous post) Give me a little slack here. I'm just stating our mindset at Baylor about 10 years ago, and that's what it was. I'm sure Kansas was relieved to see Baylor on the schedule too these past 10 years. You're telling me Kansas didn't look at Baylor as a likely win either? You know KU fans did!!!

P.S- Don't make it sound like our wins were a fluke. In 2006, that was a MIRACULOUS 4th qtr comback. 3 TD's scored in last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter!?!? That was just a good game period.

My take:

This.

Do some research before you post. After the Bowden mess that started the season, Clemson finished 7-6, including 3-1 over their last 4. Not to mention a 31-14 ass kicking of in state rival and SCC team South Carolina.

http://clemson.scout.com/3/fbschedule.html#2008

back at ya, what i said is absolutely correct. Clemson would have destroyed KU? The same clemson that was 4-4 in the ACC?? are you kidding me? VT said the same thing before the OB in 07/08.

back at ya, what i said is absolutely correct. Clemson would have destroyed KU? The same clemson that was 4-4 in the ACC?? are you kidding me? VT said the same thing before the OB in 07/08.

Dabo Swinney's Clemson was FAR different than Tommy Bowden's Clemson so that 4-4 in the ACC thing is wildly skewed. Also, Bowden's losses to Maryland, Wake and GA Tech were by a combined 12 points. It's wild speculation to presume that Swinney would have won any of those games, so take that with a grain of salt.

Using Clemson as a measuring stick for the 2008 Huskers is pretty difficult. Cases can be made both ways, so this whole discussion is kind of pointless.

Using Clemson as a measuring stick for the 2008 Huskers is pretty difficult. Cases can be made both ways, so this whole discussion is kind of pointless.

agreed. The big difference between moo, nub, and ku last year was baylor. There would have been a 3 way tie at the top if all three played the same schedule.

My take:

This.

http://clemson.scout.com/3/fbschedule.html#2008

Oh i see, 4-5 in the ACC. Come on jayhawker, you know as well as I do that you guys were no where as good last year as the year before. VT and Clemson would have moped the feild with you last year.

What about Compton, Fisher, Whaley, Williams, May, Koehler or Kreikemeier at LB?

Or Hagg, Osbourne, Thorell, Smith, Gomes or Wald at defensive back?

What have any of those guys done, and what do you think some of them (Kreikemeier, Wald) are going to do? At this point you're just tossing out names. We don't know. Our 2007 linebacking corps, with McKeon, Ruud, Octavien, Brandenburgh, Dillard, et. all, looked like it was going to tear it up, and look what happened then.

As far as Wald goes, that he played on special teams isn't a sign that he was one of the few freshmen good enough to play. More of an indictment of his future potential than anything.

Isn't that what this entire thread is about: predictions, potential and opinions?

yes, your vaunted D. Here is the most telling stat from the B12 last year

Scoring D.

Nub 28.54 p/game

KU 28.85 p/game

and remember you had baylor as compared to Texas on the schedule. You can say all you want about how nubs D is going to be great and you were way better then KU's D last year. I don't see it, you gave up just as many points, with an easier schedule. You return 7 on D we return 7 on D.

Obviously that isn't the most telling stat because we still managed to beat your ass by 10. More than likely it will be the same story this year, the next, the next and probably even a few more decades after that. I wasn't saying that Nebraska had a vaunted D by any means. All I did was point out that Nebraska had the #1 defense in the North, and with any improvements, will probably be #1 again this this year. This should be enough to bring home the North crown.

Your Baylor to Texas comparision is like comparing apples to oranges. Who cares how many points we gave up. You lost to Texas and we beat Baylor. So besides the useless data you try to provide as proof for your argument, the facts still remain that the Huskers own KU and more than likely always will!!