BIG 12 NORTH PRESEASON FORECAST

No way KU beats two from Texas, Texas Tech or Oklahoma. I don't see a win there at all. No matter how improved you are on DEF, you still gave up nearly 50 points a game to these three teams, and two of those games were at home. You play Tech and the Horns on the road this year.

Kansas ended the season 89th in Total Defense and you're replacing all three linebackers. Yes, you have a solid D-Line and experience in the DEF backfield, but let's be honest here - two wins? Not happening, not with those offenses playing that defense.

how come your newcomers can improve your team, but ridiculous that our will help us?

Great, great question... but I'll be very surprised if you beat 2 of the 3 teams. It's possible this year...but I'll be surprised. My bet would go on KU beating OU and Tech. Texas is too stout this year.

No way KU beats two from Texas, Texas Tech or Oklahoma. I don't see a win there at all. No matter how improved you are on DEF, you still gave up nearly 50 points a game to these three teams, and two of those games were at home. You play Tech and the Horns on the road this year.

Kansas ended the season 89th in Total Defense and you're replacing all three linebackers. Yes, you have a solid D-Line and experience in the DEF backfield, but let's be honest here - two wins? Not happening, not with those offenses playing that defense.

how come your newcomers can improve your team, but ridiculous that our will help us?

Because you are Kansas...j/k sort of

Great, great question... but I'll be very surprised if you beat 2 of the 3 teams. It's possible this year...but I'll be surprised. My bet would go on KU beating OU and Tech. Texas is too stout this year.

You're crazy. Gerald McCoy and company will pound reesing all day long, just like Suh will.

The simple answer is that I know more about the Husker newcomers than the Jayhawk newcomers. But there isn't a thing that I've heard about the guys taking over starting spots at Kansas that makes me think they're going to suddenly have this infusion of talent.

And you probably won't find a bigger Bart Mangino fan wearing Husker Red than me. I think you've got a great coach, and if people would stop being ignorant and look past his size to his skills, they'd realize he's a legit head coach. So I'm not basing that on your coach, either. Just the players, and your opponents.

Can you fill us in on what it is that makes you so optimistic?

Bear, where are you seeing that Juco QBs are busts more often than not? Is this your own anecdotal experience or do you have some basis for this?

Nearly every QB Baylor has had in the past decade was a 3 or 4 star JuCo transfer (aside from Shawn Bell, and Blake Szymanski). Examples: Dane King, Greg Cicero, Josh Zachry, Michael Machen. They were all God awful and all were 3 and 4 star recruits from successful JuCo's. We were always excited...they were always terrible. Granted, you likely have a much better supporting cast, so I think Lee will be good enough after a few games are under his belt.

Here's an interesting article on recent JuCo transfers:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/29534-c...-to-make-impact

Summary: It's possible get a star, but don't get your hopes up. One positive Lee has though is that he does come from an NFL pedigree.

I think the keyword in your post is "Baylor." Anecdotal evidence from one school is not a trend. Not to be rude, but the Bears haven't been known for getting and developing QB talent over the years.

Luckily for you that trend is changing with young Mr. Griffin.

Yeah I think the biggest difference is that Watson has a history of developing QB's into quality players. I don't think Baylor had anyone of Watson's caliber until just recently on their staff coaching up those players.

They still don't!

Because Nebraska is better, that's why!!

The reason Nebraska will improve is because the majority of our newcomers are more talented, faster, and more well-coached than the guys they are replacing. Most of the guys lost were not what we would consider stars. Regardless, the team ended up pretty well last year, tying for 1st in the North and beating Clemson in their bowl game. It is only logical to say that if a team plays well and replaces a few ok players with players who are better, the team will improve.

By the way, nobody said your newcomers wouldn't improve your team. It has only been said that they still won't be as good as Nebraska. Kansas is banking on the returning stars, who still only managed to snag 3rd place in North last year, to lead the team to a championship. If that's the case, where is the improvement coming from? I haven't heard you mention anybody besides Reesing and your receivers as reasons for your optimism. Where is the improvement on your defense and where is it on your O-line? Even if your newcomers are an improvement, do you really believe it'll be enough to surpass the improvements made by Nebraska?

Because Nebraska is better, that's why!!

The reason Nebraska will improve is because the majority of our newcomers are more talented, faster, and more well-coached than the guys they are replacing. Most of the guys lost were not what we would consider stars. Regardless, the team ended up pretty well last year, tying for 1st in the North and beating Clemson in their bowl game. It is only logical to say that if a team plays well and replaces a few ok players with players who are better, the team will improve.

By the way, nobody said your newcomers wouldn't improve your team. It has only been said that they still won't be as good as Nebraska. Kansas is banking on the returning stars, who still only managed to snag 3rd place in North last year, to lead the team to a championship. If that's the case, where is the improvement coming from? I haven't heard you mention anybody besides Reesing and your receivers as reasons for your optimism. Where is the improvement on your defense and where is it on your O-line? Even if your newcomers are an improvement, do you really believe it'll be enough to surpass the improvements made by Nebraska?

The jayhawk has a point. You can't simply say that all the 8 new replacements on offense are immediately going to be better than the players that left. Especially your receivers replacements. I've tried to make this arguement in the past, and it's not that simple. Not all players are going to develop to perfection.

Examples: Oklahoma: Rhett Bomar vs Sam Bradford. Bomar was the #1 QB recruit in the nation. Bradford was not even closely considered as such a high recruit. Bradford developed, Bomar didn't. Baylor's #2 NFL draft pick, Jason Smith, and our other tackle from last year, Dan Gay, are both now in the NFL. Both were just 2 star recruits. We just replaced them both with 4 star recruits. Does that mean our O-line will be better? Not immediately, I don't care who's developing the players. You just don't find those kind of players everyday no matter what caliber star they are.

Kansas and Nebraska will both be good next year. From the outside looking in....neither team can boast to be better than the other yet. Both have questions....just different one's. Kansas does have one big plus that Nebraska doesn't though....a stud at QB with proven experience.

Kansas is a scary team, no doubt. But with their South schedule this year, I like our chances. Texas and OU are almost garuntee losses for just about anyone, and throw in TxTech on the road, and you've got yourself one difficult schedule. Tech wont be nearly as good as they were last year, thats for sure. But Kansas isn't a great road team (IMO).

And I agree with Bear, looking in without my bias-glasses on, both teams have question marks, both could be great or not-so-great, so in the end we could go on with this all day and not get anywhere.

I think you are going to need to score more than that. I know your D is going to be pretty good. But pretty good is still #80 in scoring D. I still am on record as saying that KU will win 2 of the 3 from the south.

Two of the three from the South? Wow. That's a bold statement to make considering how pitiful your offensive line and how average your defense was last year.

All the Jhawk fans keep pointing to their WRs and QB first, but if the o-line isn't able to block anyone, all of that talent and experience will be a waste.

Here is how our average D line compared stat wise to your "best in the big12 d line"

Rushing D

#21 Nebraska 3.62 ypc

#28 KU 3.94 ypc

Tackles for Loss

#40 Nebraska 6.31 p/g

#40 KU 6.31 p/g

Sacks

#14 Nebraska 35 total

#40 KU 29 total

Wow, guess your D Line was pretty average last year. Hopefully you guys can improve that.

PS. The O line will be much improved. And they couldn't block anyone last year and we almost beat OU in Norman. How did your D Line hold up in that game?

yes, your vaunted D. Here is the most telling stat from the B12 last year

Scoring D.

Nub 28.54 p/game

KU 28.85 p/game

and remember you had baylor as compared to Texas on the schedule. You can say all you want about how nubs D is going to be great and you were way better then KU's D last year. I don't see it, you gave up just as many points, with an easier schedule. You return 7 on D we return 7 on D.

So our vaunted D isn't good enough to win the North, but your vaunted D is good enough to win 2 of 3 against TT, UT and OU? Wow, you're using some great logic here.

Yeah, comes down to who can score the most points.

Texas has a few question also, but no i do not think KU beats them. I'm going OU, TT from the south.

Texas has a few question also, but no i do not think KU beats them. I'm going OU, TT from the south.

You think Reesing, Meier and Briscoe are better than Bradford, Murray and Brown? Wow, you need to stop sniffing the white powder.

You think Reesing, Meier and Briscoe are better than Bradford, Murray and Brown? Wow, you need to stop sniffing the white powder.

Yeah

Why are we comparing WR and RBs?

You put Bradford behind last years KU O Line and he looks just like Reesing.

Yeah

Why are we comparing WR and RBs?

You put Bradford behind last years KU O Line and he looks just like Reesing.

Exactly and now KU's line is potentially weaker, so how does that translate into a win? And we're comparing offensive weapons which can score points, since that was your point in earlier posts.

Cause our line will be better this year. Did you not see the KU/OU game last year. We didn't get blown out and it was a 7 point game in the 3rd Q. I'm not saying KU will score more points then OU all season. It just has to be one game. OU DOES have questions on their O and D this year also.