Mason Wald

Anyway I can't believe LJS isn't all over this yet if true.

Why? I've never understood the fascination with this kid. He sounds like a decent player and he had a highlight reel play, but that's about it. He never seemed destined for greatness to me.

I'm sure if he's gone the papers will write about it, but until then... meh. And even if he's gone... meh? What have we lost?

My surprise is not because Wald is a great player, in fact I completely agree with you that he has had way too much hype for his level of talent. Great hitter yes, overall great player no. A lot like Rigoni in that regards, a skull crusher on STs. Anyway I digress, the reason I am surprised is because it is still a story about a scholarship NU player leaving the program and this has always gotten press no matter who it has been.

I would say that the timing is what's keeping this story down, if true. I don't think the press has a lot of access to the team during summer conditioning, and they're not meeting with the coaches on a regular basis, either.

Still, there was a presser announcing Osborne's retention today, right? I would have thought someone would have asked about Wald there.

Good reference with Rigoni. He was a great niche player, and a lot of fun to watch.

Well there is a "news" story on it now. It is a pay story so below is just the tease they posted.

-From Huskers Illustrated

Sophomore DB Wald decides to leave program

by Sean Callahan

Sophomore defensive back Mason Wald has decided to leave the Nebraska football program, after being one of just two scholarship true freshmen that saw action in 2008. Here's more on Wald's departure.

Huskers Illustrated

I always enjoy seeing a somewhat "undersized" player getting his chance by playing. Mason was really an undersized safety that more probably than not was gonna be the Rigoni type that might stand out on special teams but more likely than not play meaningful snaps at a position. Loved his effort, but sorry to see the Bama boys that many on this board were hyped over are now gone. Best of luck to him but honestly this isn't that big of loss for the Big Red and as mentioned helps the schollie crunch for this year.

I always enjoy seeing a somewhat "undersized" player getting his chance by playing. Mason was really an undersized safety that more probably than not was gonna be the Rigoni type that might stand out on special teams but more likely than not play meaningful snaps at a position. Loved his effort, but sorry to see the Bama boys that many on this board were hyped over are now gone. Best of luck to him but honestly this isn't that big of loss for the Big Red and as mentioned helps the schollie crunch for this year.

I agree with all of that. You hate to say it, but unless he was on the field getting a lot of playing time, I have to say it's not a huge loss. I also wish him the best of luck and hate to see a competitor like him leave. Good luck in the future Mason and thanks for your contributions to the Big Red.

I agree with all of that. You hate to say it, but unless he was on the field getting a lot of playing time, I have to say it's not a huge loss. I also wish him the best of luck and hate to see a competitor like him leave. Good luck in the future Mason and thanks for your contributions to the Big Red.

:yeah

GBR!!!