SIGNED OL Ryne Reeves

here is the story from LJS

Dream comes true for 2011 Husker line recruit

If Ryne Reeves can knock down defensive linemen as fast as he accepted that invitation from Bo Pelini on Wednesday, plenty of football glory awaits.

Having just finished his sophomore year at Crete, Reeves showed up to a Husker high school football camp this week just trying to get on the radar screen.

“His biggest hope was just to get his name out there,” said Ryne’s father, John Reeves.

Oh, it’s out there now.

When the camp session ended Wednesday, Pelini wasted no time offering the 6-foot-3, 285-pound offensive lineman a scholarship.

Acceptance of the offer came a second later.

“He’s a Nebraska kid,” John said. “There’s Nebraska and then there’s the No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 choices.”

Reeves becomes the first commit of the 2011 recruiting class, and as of Wednesday night, was still “pretty shocked” about the whole thing.

“I didn’t expect to get an offer today, but I’m happy I did,” Reeves said.

Now that’s what you call a productive few days at summer camp.

“During the one-on-ones, I went against some of the better defensive linemen and held my own,” Reeves said.

He also plays basketball — where he was the team’s leading scorer last year — and qualified for the state meet this spring in the shot put.

Crete football coach Chuck McGinnis said Reeves can bench press 360 pounds.

“I’ve seen a tremendous work ethic in the weight room from him,” McGinnis said. “Obviously he has some God-given ability, but he really made himself into an outstanding player. He just worked his tail off the last year and a half.”

Reeves said Husker coaches told him they see him as a likely center, possibly a guard.

Whichever position, he can now call himself a Husker recruit.

“It was a dream come true,” he said. “I always wanted to play for Nebraska. Just awesome.”

Briefly

Mason Wald is leaving the Husker football team to attend Samford University, according to Rivals.com.

The sophomore defensive back from Birmingham, Ala., saw action on special teams last year (notching six tackles) but faced an uphill climb on the depth chart for playing time in the secondary.