WR Bobby Swigert

Player: Bobby Swigert

Hometown: Louisville, OH

Position: WR

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 175 lbs.

40 time: 4.47

Visit Date: 9/26

Scholarships: Akron, Ball State, Boston College, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Colorado, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska, Miami(OH), Michigan, Ohio, Pittsburgh, Stanford, Syracuse, Toledo, Western Michigan, Wisconsin

Favorites: Boston College, Nebraska, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Stanford

COMMITTED TO BOSTON COLLEGE

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

Received Ohio's "Iron Man of the Year" award for being the top two-way player in the state.

He has heard good thing about us from a teammate that camped here and knows a fair amount about Bo and Carl. Figures on probably making a trip here this summer.

arts-graphics-2007_1177752a.jpg

he's a heck of a marksman, too.

Hack,

Call of Duty I presume?

Anyway, Bobby is extremely excited about the Huskers offer.

He will be visiting this summer late July.

we view Nebraska as...

A program with a outstanding history.

A program on the unswing with an unlimited upside.

A program with a fan base that is un-matched in College sports.

A prgram with an exceptional coaching staff who know how to prepare young men for life.

A program with a vast number of outstanding educational options.

Kind of hard to beat in my book.

Can anyone share the offense the Huskers will be running?

I assume a move to the spread is in the works?

Impressive - Speed demon/Iron man would look great in red. :)

basselope - you sound like a parent? If so, we kind of have to tread lightly on the topic. But, either way, I think you've nailed it on your impressions. I know we are biased around here, but I honestly believe in all the points you brought up on your view of Nebraska. I think a visit would only cement your view points.

As for your question on the offense, I'll defer to an expert.

Not a parent or guardian, he lives with his parents Dave & Kerry.

However I do share a last name. I am his Uncle.

Impressive - Speed demon/Iron man would look great in red. :)

basselope - you sound like a parent? If so, we kind of have to tread lightly on the topic. But, either way, I think you've nailed it on your impressions. I know we are biased around here, but I honestly believe in all the points you brought up on your view of Nebraska. I think a visit would only cement your view points.

As for your question on the offense, I'll defer to an expert.

Bass

I coach and teach out in Omaha and the new staff at NU has been nothing but kind and supportive with their time towards coaches of all levels. My guess is that they will be the same way with your nephew.

I am not just saying that either, I can tell you that during the 4 years with Callahan at NU, I never met one memeber of that staff. In one year with Bo at the helm I have already met 3 of the coaches on the staff and they have even given up their time to speak at my school about family and faith.

It is honestly more then football with this staff, it is about learning to grow up, learning to overcome, learning to compete, learning to work hard and most importantly learning about family.

I recieve an award recently (please dont think I am trying to brag I am just trying to tell you a story) and Coach Pelini (Carl) made it a point to seek me out at the banquet, shake my hand, say congrats and chat for a few moments. It is not like that is a big deal but he did not have to do that and it was very classy.

we view Nebraska as...

A prgram with an exceptional coaching staff who know how to prepare young men for life.

If you happened to see a, or any, Nebraska games after the loss to Missouri last season, that's what Nebraska will probably run in '09 with the lone difference being an expanded zone read/option package.

Oh and the picture shown above I believe is from the movie "Shooter" with Marky Mark Wahlberg. And for the record I think the character's name in the movie is Swaggert...not Swigert.

Hack,

Call of Duty I presume?

we view Nebraska as...

There will be some spread elements involved. The whole offense sort of evolved last year. We started the year primarily running a pro style/west coast offense. After the Missouri game we cut a bunch of stuff out of the playbook and started building on what was working best. The result is a hybrid West coast spread offense, predicated on short consistent passing and running from the shotgun. we didn't actually run that much qb zone read stuff, but it was in there several times a game to mix things up. I don't think it will ever become our bread and butter though, as it takes a toll on the QB and our methodical passing game really needs that cohesiveness that a distinguished starter gives you.

The other thing to note... Shawn Watson has been an amazing offensive coordinator, and he actually builds the offense around the players strengths. So 3 years for now (if he hasn't landed a major head coaching gig) we could be doing something a little different. I think he will always try and stay fairly balanced though.

The other thing to note... Shawn Watson has been an amazing offensive coordinator, and he actually builds the offense around the players strengths. So 3 years for now (if he hasn't landed a major head coaching gig) we could be doing something a little different. I think he will always try and stay fairly balanced though.

Just what I was about to say (except the part about head-coaching job <_< ). Watson will tailor the offense to the players he has. Last year there was no consistent deep threat (nor a QB to get it there) and that allowed Ds to pack the box against the running game. The adjustment was to spread the field with multiple possession WRs and pass catching TEs. This opened up things inside for the running game and made Ds make a choice. Early on teams kept focused on the run game and Nebraska used a control passing game to get down the field. Later on it seems teams focused on stopping the short passes which opened up things for the running game. (Someone correct me if I'm way off base.)

Now next year, they may decide that the deep passing game will work better with this personnel. Either way the base of the west coast offense (principles, terminology, etc.) will likely remain.

Just what I was about to say (except the part about head-coaching job <_< ). Watson will tailor the offense to the players he has. Last year there was no consistent deep threat (nor a QB to get it there) and that allowed Ds to pack the box against the running game. The adjustment was to spread the field with multiple possession WRs and pass catching TEs. This opened up things inside for the running game and made Ds make a choice. Early on teams kept focused on the run game and Nebraska used a control passing game to get down the field. Later on it seems teams focused on stopping the short passes which opened up things for the running game. (Someone correct me if I'm way off base.)

Now next year, they may decide that the deep passing game will work better with this personnel. Either way the base of the west coast offense (principles, terminology, etc.) will likely remain.

Last year the offense morphed into the WCO out of the Shotgun with Spread elements. The passing routes and base system is still the WCO, it is a unique offense in that manner. Watson has a great ability to adjust as previous posters have said. This year we expect a power run game to return in pieces to the offense. I don't think the team will get away completely from the new Hybrid WCO thing, but certainly should see some more heavy sets and Play Action Pass. We think we will have a very good ground game this year. Hopefully your Nephew's recruiting process is a fun time for him and your family, good luck!

Thanks for the info on the Offense everyone.

Just booked flights for Bobby & his dad to visit Nebraska late July.

Lots to like with this young man, just based on his film.

Nice routes, sells out his body to make the catch, fights for the ball. Once he catches it, he has a nice burst. Reminds me of Nate Swift coming out of h/s. If that works out to be true, I'll take him in a heartbeat.

:woo

I was very impressed by this kids video. I know this is not right, but when I see a white reciever I always assume he is a possession type reciever. (Nate Swift should have proved to me that I was wrong about that.) This kid has it all. He has very good change of direction, great football awareness, the presence and ability to go up and get the ball, he is very physical as well as determined, he sees the field and uses his blockers very well, and he has very good speed, not a burner, but he seems to get to top speed very quickly. The only thing you can't say for sure is that he has great hands due to the fact that it is a highlight film, but he has some outstanding catches on there, so I think it is safe to say this kid doesn't drop many balls. I am assuming he will be an excellent blocker at the college level as well given his athleticism and his tenacity. I'm really hoping we land this kid.

No offense but Nate Swift should have done nothing to prove your "white receivers are possession receivers" wrong. Nate Swift is exactly what a possession receiver is.

No offense but Nate Swift should have done nothing to prove your "white receivers are possession receivers" wrong. Nate Swift is exactly what a possession receiver is.

I get what you are saying, but he does has some very big plays after the catch last year, but mostly I was thinking of some of the moves he made on punt returns. He juked quite a few guys out of their jock straps.

Haha! That's the first thing I thought when I saw his name too.

"I don't think you understand - these people killed my dog."

you're one of the few people who actually got the reference.

“This summer has been crazy,” Swigert told GoBlueWolverine. “I’ve had lots of visits already, and there are more places I’ve got to see. It’s been tough because I played summer baseball, and now I’ve got football starting up. I’ve visited Michigan,and camped at Ohio State and Notre Dame. I’m headed to Stanford pretty quickly, then stopping at Nebraska on the way back, and I have a trip planned to Boston College.”

...“Michigan was amazing. I was impressed with everything I saw, like the facilities and the new indoor building … it was just amazing. Coach Rodriguez is one of the coolest coaches I’ve met. And the academic advisor (Shari Acho) explained everything really well.”

...“If I was to narrow down my list, Michigan would be in there. They are definitely one of the top contenders.”

Haha! That's the first thing I thought when I saw his name too.

"I don't think you understand - these people killed my dog."

you're one of the few people who actually got the reference.

Now that I've seen the movie, I did too! Great movie, and awesome reference.

Loved his visit to Nebraska this weekend. Said we have the best facilities he's seen (been to Michigan, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Stanford and Notre Dame). Says he planning to come back for a game day in the fall.

He also said he enjoyed the visit to Stanford a day before making it to Lincoln.

The Nebraska visit went outstanding.

Bobby & his father were both very impressed.

They took in the Shriner HS all star game on Sat evening & met with the staff and toured the facilities on Sunday.

They are planning to make an official visit in the fall to see a game.

They took in the Shriner HS all star game on Sat evening & met with the staff and toured the facilities on Sunday.

Glad your nephew had a good time. Hope to see him in a Nebraska jersey sometime next year :)

edit: Forgot to mention, best of luck to him in whatever or whoever he chooses. Busy at work but I wanted to post, then after reading it again noticed I left that part out. Sorry Maud, screwed up your quote brother.

Glad your nephew had a good time. Hope to see him in a Nebraska jersey sometime next year :)

Couldn't have said it better. I think Bobby will be blown away by the gameday atmosphere in Lincoln.

Go Big Red

Couldn't have said it better. I think Bobby will be blown away by the gameday atmosphere in Lincoln.

Go Big Red

This young man has a VERY impressive offer list. If he's not the type to be suckered in by glitz and screwy uniforms he will fit NU like a glove.

being reported on ND websites that they did not make his top five. according to them his top five are Michigan, Stanford, Boston College, Pitt & Nebraska (in no particular order).

being reported on ND websites that they did not make his top five. according to them his top five are Michigan, Stanford, Boston College, Pitt & Nebraska (in no particular order).

I am glad we are making an impression with this young man. I would love to see him in Husker Red on game days.

I think his uncle got a warm reception here, so I'm thinking that may have been mentioned to him. I'm sure the kid will get just an idea of how we treat our players just from that, when he see's it first hand he'll never want to even think of another team. He has to follow his heart and go with the team and coaches he feels comfy with, i'm sure he'll like NU alot.

still be weary if ND offers, because if they do he may commit on the spot. luckily for us he probably won't get that offer, because of their number crunch

Allow me to share something about Nebraska.

In a recent interview Bobby was quoted as saying:

"I definitely need a lot of people in the stands… a place like Nebraska where people care for their football team like it's life or death if they win or lose.

That's the way my high school is, and that's what I want in a college too."

While walking around Lincoln during our recent visit, we came across a kid with a unique shirt.

on the front it said.

Nebraska Football

"It is not life or death"

on the back it said.

"It's more important than that"

Allow me to share something about Nebraska.

In a recent interview Bobby was quoted as saying:

"I definitely need a lot of people in the stands… a place like Nebraska where people care for their football team like it's life or death if they win or lose.

That's the way my high school is, and that's what I want in a college too."

While walking around Lincoln during our recent visit, we came across a kid with a unique shirt.

on the front it said.

Nebraska Football

"It is not life or death"

on the back it said.

"It's more important than that"

Love it! :lol:

basselope - do you know if Bobby is planning to take an official during a game day? EDIT: If I would only read above - I see the question has already been answered. Nevermind the question. So, I'll just say that I hope he enjoys the next visit even more.

Oh, and as far as having a lot of people in the stands - that is one GUARANTEE I know that can be made at Nebraska. :)

Here you go, from NCAA: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/att...BS_CAPACITY.pdf

Wonder if Basselope is still reading this thread, or if he would care to comment. Of course, there's probably only so much he can say without breaking too much news. Sure Bobby wouldn't appreciate his uncle telling too much about where Bobby's first choice would be. Anyway, Basselope, if you are out there still, feel free to join in again, always nice to hear your input.

Wonder if Basselope is still reading this thread, or if he would care to comment. Of course, there's probably only so much he can say without breaking too much news. Sure Bobby wouldn't appreciate his uncle telling too much about where Bobby's first choice would be. Anyway, Basselope, if you are out there still, feel free to join in again, always nice to hear your input.

well think about it. if you were the uncle of an athlete would you let your fav team know if they were currently the top choice of there nephew? how is it breaking rules again. is it the same with the george uko thing?? i do hope his uncle has some good news to tell us though, im sure its what were all waiting for.. wow

gettin this kid, and curtis carter, would make me the happiest man in tennessee at the moment

Hi Guys,

The Scout.com interview mentioned Stanford.

Don't read too much into it thou.

Not sure what the reporter asked or what Bobby said, but I can tell you he has never told me or his parents what his favorite is & we ask him that question 10 times a day.

He is just a 17 year old kid with a hugh decison to make.

I believe he is going to let the recruiting process run it's course, take a few official visits & then decide later in the year.

The official visits will have a big impact on his decision.

This is a now a 4 horse race & Nebraska is still very much a front runner.

Bass

Hi Guys,

Not sure what the reporter asked or what Bobby said, but I can tell you he has never told me or his parents what his favorite is & we ask him that question 10 times a day.

I believe he is going to let the recruiting process run it's course, take a few official visits & then decide later in the year.

Bass

Thanks Bass, good luck to your nephew on making his decision.

Hi Guys,

Bass

thanks for the update :)

Bass,

As said prior to me, thanks for the information. Please don't feel like you have to offer the info though as i'm sure it's probably spoken a bit in confidence. You can let Bobby know that we here at Huskerboard support whatever decision he makes as long as it's Nebraska haha just kidding my friend. Let him know we speak highly of him and we've accepted his uncle into our fold.

Either way being recruited to play a div 1 sport is a fun time and stressful at the same time. He needs to choose whatever school he feels the most comfortable with, he will spend the next 4-5 years with these players and coaches(possibly of course, never know anymore). If he wants a family atmosphere UNL is the place to be(even if I went to Creighton).

Hi Guys,

Bass

Thanks, Bass. I can't begin to imagine the decisions he has coursing through his mind. Like another poster said, we really do hope he ends up some where he feels comfortable. We'd definitely prefer if he chose our beloved Huskers, but he has to do what's right for him.

PS. I think a game day visit will blow him away. I might be a touch biased, though. :lol:

Sorry, I noticed I said this is a 4 team race and did not even mentioned the 4 horses.

They are in no particular order, Stanford, Michigan, Nebraska & Boston College.

If you have a Scout.com account you can read it in his words at this link.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/888597.html

I know it is a no-no to paste anything from the article, so for those of you who do not have an account, I will interpret in my own words what he said about Nebraska.

He mentioned:

1. The facilities & compared them to a NFL facility.

2. The people & how friendly everyone is.

3. how important football is & how it reminds him of his high school where they they live and breathe football.

Mods,

I assume the above is OK.