OT Denton Simek

Player: Denton Simek

Hometown: Prague, OK

Position: OT

Height: 6'6"

Weight: 260 lbs.

40 time: 4.86

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Duke, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisville, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt

Favorites: Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma State

COMMITTED TO ARKANSAS

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star

recently visited Nebraska...gave it 10/10

With Koenig and Bonnell probably out of the picture closing on Simek becomes more important.

My thought exactly after I saw Koenig committed to Okie State.

commited to Texas Tech

How did TT go from not being in his top 3 to being the place of destination? I mean I don't recall hearing Simek being high on them recently, said his visit to NU went well....I just don't get this. If it wasn't going to be NU, I would think it would be OSU.

Another one gone

this is getting old. i wouldn't be surprised to hear a journalist bring up recruiting or lack there of and question the HC. whatever the method of recruiting they are using, it is defintely not working. it is time to get worried, starting now.

Another one gone

this is getting old. i wouldn't be surprised to hear a journalist bring up recruiting or lack there of and question the HC. whatever the method of recruiting they are using, it is defintely not working. it is time to get worried, starting now.

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah

We were in a slight lead, Okie Lite was second. Leach came out of the pack, went into snake-oil mode on the phone, and shmoozed himself a new commit. Facepalm.

Being that we were in the lead this one hurts.

O-lineman we were looking strong with are dropping-off. Hope we're working for some decommits. As easily as Simek was swayed maybe he can be swayed back.

Man.. this came out of nowhere.

He gave the visit to Lincoln a 10/10, and we're arguably in the lead. As mentioned, Texas Tech wasn't even really in the picture for his top 3. The Texas Tech recruiting staff must've really done something....

Whatever, this class will be fine. Just gets annoying when you hear something like this... :bang

He gave the visit to Lincoln a 10/10, and we're arguably in the lead. As mentioned, Texas Tech wasn't even really in the picture for his top 3. The Texas Tech recruiting staff must've really done something....

Whatever, this class will be fine. Just gets annoying when you hear something like this... :bang

We had a small lead on Okie Lite, he had a long talk on the phone with Leach himself. Leach assured him that he'd be there forever and told Simek he was their #1 guy in Texas or Oklahoma. He bit, hard. While it may not be his style I think Bo may need to do more selling and deal-closing

We had a small lead on Okie Lite, he had a long talk on the phone with Leach himself. Leach assured him that he'd be there forever and told Simek he was their #1 guy in Texas or Oklahoma. He bit, hard. While it may not be his style I think Bo may need to do more selling and deal-closing

why all the "i gave it 10/10" or speeches of how amazing and nothing compares to facilities etc... but nobody can seem to close... i think Bo needs to step up

Wait till he visits lubbock and sees that their stadium holds about 20-30 thousand less people and see their facilities equal a texas high school weight room. Hopefully he realizes what he did after that.

Wait till he visits lubbock and sees that their stadium holds about 20-30 thousand less people and see their facilities equal a texas high school weight room. Hopefully he realizes what he did after that.

Yep, I don't think this one is over yet. Wouldn't be surprised if he switched to us or OSU before signing day.

Add to that a troubling loss in Lincoln............

He spoke with the Avalanche-Journal about his decision, "I really liked it, and I like coach (Mike) Leach a lot. He's a heck of a coach. Their coaching staff is probably one of the top, if not the top, in the nation. I just like everything about Texas Tech."

n/o to him but :koolaid2: there is no way in the world that ttech is one of the top or the top coaching staff in the country

Link

Wait till he visits lubbock and sees that their stadium holds about 20-30 thousand less people and see their facilities equal a texas high school weight room.

Umm... have you seen some of the Texas high school facilities? Some easily could rank third in the Big XII north. But yeah Tech equal poo

He spoke with the Avalanche-Journal about his decision, "I really liked it, and I like coach (Mike) Leach a lot. He's a heck of a coach. Their coaching staff is probably one of the top, if not the top, in the nation. I just like everything about Texas Tech."

n/o to him but :koolaid2: there is no way in the world that ttech is one of the top or the top coaching staff in the country

No kidding. How a recruit walked away from TTech with that delusion is almost beyond belief. Leach has done a fine job the past couple seasons, but a USC or Florida he is not. Not. Even. Close.

why all the "i gave it 10/10" or speeches of how amazing and nothing compares to facilities etc... but nobody can seem to close... i think Bo needs to step up

I don't think Bo's real big on playing salesman, it's something he needs to get used to.

I don't think Bo's real big on playing salesman, it's something he needs to get used to.

That is funny, I keep hearing that Bo does a great job with the onsite visists where you would think most of the closing occurs. I know he isn't big on the front part of the process, but I keep hearing he does well once he is with the young man. Maybe I am off, I don't know.

Has contacted Husker coaches..is getting a visit from Cotton this week..he said he will find out then if he still has a scholarship for him..coaches told him we have 3 spots left in this class...

Has contacted Husker coaches..is getting a visit from Cotton this week..he said he will find out then if he still has a scholarship for him..coaches told him we have 3 spots left in this class...

huh interesting...

do we take him??

with three spots left things are getting tight.........

huh interesting...

do we take him??

with three spots left things are getting tight.........

i realize we don't have room for all of these, but i would welcome another player at the following positions:

LB, S, OL, WR and QB in roughly that order. obviously the order changes based upon individual talent.

We had a small lead on Okie Lite, he had a long talk on the phone with Leach himself. Leach assured him that he'd be there forever and told Simek he was their #1 guy in Texas or Oklahoma. He bit, hard.

Oops. :lol:

This would be a nice pickup for this class. Could always use a guy like that. Hope it works out.

Blew out an ACL earlier this year and ended his senior season...not yet running again.

Has a great looking offer list.

That concerns me. ACL injuries are no joke. Depending on how well rehab is going, I'd be hesitant. Other than that, I'd love to see us pick up another OL player. The more depth we can get, the better I'll feel.

ohh i remember this guy now.... we thought for sure a lock then he had some heart to heart with mike leach and then that was it.... TT from what i rememer wasn't super high on his list until the gret ML spoke to him....... i remember us all being quite bummed...... as for where we go now... i think getting corey cooper is big.... a wide receiver (who i dont know) are essential... a qb i just dont know if it will happen... which i guess i am okay with.. unless brion (whatever his last name is) committs or something like that or Kain colter or who ever......

I don't think OL is a position of need anymore. Some serious heavy hitters in next year's class, plus Yoshi Hardwick as a JUCO, plus all those promising guys redshirting this year...I mean, there's still another top-rate OL we could be getting next year, right?

I don't think OL is a position of need anymore. Some serious heavy hitters in next year's class, plus Yoshi Hardwick as a JUCO, plus all those promising guys redshirting this year...I mean, there's still another top-rate OL we could be getting next year, right?

Yoshi has little to do with the number of freshman OL we take. He'll be counted on the next two seasons while the frosh will be counted on three to five years down the line.

Similarly, I wouldn't count on future classes to make up for a short OL class. You need consistent depth of OL to account for how hard it is to project success for linemen, along with injuries and the fact that they usually need one to three years on campus before they're truly ready to go. We also don't know for certain that we'll have a killer OL class next year, though we do seem to be off to a good start.

IMO you cant have too much depth at QB or OL. If this kid wants a scholarship I think you make room for him.

Yoshi has little to do with the number of freshman OL we take. He'll be counted on the next two seasons while the frosh will be counted on three to five years down the line.

Similarly, I wouldn't count on future classes to make up for a short OL class. You need consistent depth of OL to account for how hard it is to project success for linemen, along with injuries and the fact that they usually need one to three years on campus before they're truly ready to go. We also don't know for certain that we'll have a killer OL class next year, though we do seem to be off to a good start.

Yep, getting another Fr. OL Recruit would not hurt at all. Look at the returning 2-Deep O-Line for the Huskers. NU loses 3 of the 9 players listed in Hickman, Meyer, and Christensen, though they do return 4 starters. However of those 4 returning starters and 2 back ups Smith, Williams, Henry, and DJ Jones will be Seniors, leaves only Marcel Jones and Caputo who will both be Juniors. That means going into 2011, only 2 players from the current 9 on the 2-deep will be on the roster. NU needs to find 7-8 quality players to step up in 2011. Some need to start in 2010 actually. Who ever gets recruited in 2011 won't be big contributors until 2012 at the soonest since MOST O-linemen take a RS year to develop. Even if all 4 of the 2009 recruits pan out to be contributors that makes 8 total for 2011: Caputo, Marcel Jones, Ash, Sirles, Coffey, Qvale, and Hardrick (2010 JUCO). There is also no Center back up in that group. We need another 1 minimum and preferably 2 QUALITY players to fill out a 9-10 man 2-Deep in 2011, 2012 looks better however that transition class of OL decommits in 2008 really hurt the O-Line depth and rotation IMO. It is something that I think Cotton and Bo have done a great job patching up and rebuilding though. Maybe a walk on or 2 develop into good players, someone like Brian Thorson or Seung Hoon Choi, but we still need a couple of players to fill it out.

however that transition class of OL decommits in 2008 really hurt the O-Line depth and rotation IMO.

:yeah

I could not agree more Cave. If we had Hoch, Robinson and Givens on the roster this year our OL would have been much better. We would have been able to actually run our offense instead of dumming it down.

Yep, getting another Fr. OL Recruit would not hurt at all. Look at the returning 2-Deep O-Line for the Huskers. NU loses 3 of the 9 players listed in Hickman, Meyer, and Christensen, though they do return 4 starters. However of those 4 returning starters and 2 back ups Smith, Williams, Henry, and DJ Jones will be Seniors, leaves only Marcel Jones and Caputo who will both be Juniors. That means going into 2011, only 2 players from the current 9 on the 2-deep will be on the roster. NU needs to find 7-8 quality players to step up in 2011. Some need to start in 2010 actually. Who ever gets recruited in 2011 won't be big contributors until 2012 at the soonest since MOST O-linemen take a RS year to develop. Even if all 4 of the 2009 recruits pan out to be contributors that makes 8 total for 2011: Caputo, Marcel Jones, Ash, Sirles, Coffey, Qvale, and Hardrick (2010 JUCO). There is also no Center back up in that group. We need another 1 minimum and preferably 2 QUALITY players to fill out a 9-10 man 2-Deep in 2011, 2012 looks better however that transition class of OL decommits in 2008 really hurt the O-Line depth and rotation IMO. It is something that I think Cotton and Bo have done a great job patching up and rebuilding though. Maybe a walk on or 2 develop into good players, someone like Brian Thorson or Seung Hoon Choi, but we still need a couple of players to fill it out.

iirc, Meyer and Christensen haven't been contributing that much this year. We are basically lossing one guy from this years squad but there are four or five frosh that redshirted this year.

iirc, Meyer and Christensen haven't been contributing that much this year. We are basically lossing one guy from this years squad but there are four or five frosh that redshirted this year.

Yeah for 2010 the O-Line looks very promising, but as I pointed out the numbers really thin out after 2010 with 4 graduating. Getting another Freshman O-lineman in this class would definitely help ensure that 2011 isn't a year like 2009 where a few injuries really depletes the line's performance.

Simek hosted Cotton on Tuesday. Apparently the visit went well and he sent film home with Cotton for the other coaches to evaluate. They'll let him know in the next few days if they'll make him an offer.

Simek hosted Cotton on Tuesday. Apparently the visit went well and he sent film home with Cotton for the other coaches to evaluate. They'll let him know in the next few days if they'll make him an offer.

i'd be stoked if we got him but wouldn't really care if we did not offer...... looks like he might have missed his chance.... but dont know for sure